1jz to 2jz??

kozzman555

Sep 8, 2009
Ft. Benning, GA
HI, ive currently got an '89 MkIII with a 1jz in it. When the car was running i loved it. however, the ecu went bad and the twin smokers blew. i got the twins replaced and have a new ecu, unfortunately it's the soarer ecu and i can't find the ecu plugs to go with it, having had a jza70 ecu in it previously. It has been a bitch and a half finding and getting parts for this engine. So. after i get back from my next deployment i'm considering buying a 2jz-gte and swapping that in. i believe the motor mounts are the same, and i have an r154 tranny already. i figure between buying the engine, any additional parts i might need, and labor to install should run me between $5000-$6000.

basically, this swap would be one of convienence, since if it breaks down, i could actually find a garage close to where im at to fix the damn thing, also buying able to roll up to toyota or pep boys to get parts would be good. my question is what do you all think of this? is it worth it? i'll definitely have the money to do it. and finally, after searching, i havent found a thread that details this swap. does anyone have any info on what other parts i would need besides the wiring harness/ecu for the 2jz? im also planning on getting the 2jz fuel pump.

JonoTurbo

Going for broke
Mar 30, 2005
CT
If you run a JDM 2jz, you can use the 1jz wiring harness if you want, but that will put you back to the same problem with the ECU.

Besides wiring and ECU, its basically drop in if you already have a 1jz. If you end up getting an Aristo 2jz, you will have to take the oilpan setup off your current motor, and you will want to swap the oil filter housings as well. There are also some slight firewall clearance issues if you keep the stock twins, and you will need a custom downpipe.

I'd like to add, I've never had problems getting parts for the 1jz. There are alot of equivalent parts readily available if you know what works. Also, if the board in your original ECU isn't too bad it can be easily repaired by replacing the caps.

csnow

Matthew 6:33
Apr 5, 2005
Palm Bay, FL
Why dont you just get an Aristo ECU and harness and run the 1J off of them? You can get those pretty cheap because few people use them. The Aristo ECU is map based and is set for 440cc injectors. You will have to extend the harness or you might be able to get Dr Tweak to make you and adapter harness to use the Aristo ECU with your 1J harness. Unless you just want the extra .5 liters, there are much cheaper ways of solving your problem. You could also go standalone too.

kozzman555

Sep 8, 2009
Ft. Benning, GA
So let's see, Go standalone, get 2jz fuel pump, DM 60-1 turbo kit, boost controller and wideband o2 and shoot for 400whp, maybe 450? Does that sound about right? i see i have some more research i have to do.

are there any short term solutions to this that you see? cuz im having a damn hard time finding those soarer ecu connectors. i'd like to be able to drive my damn car home for block leave. i guess i could buy another jza70 ecu and hope it works for two weeks

JonoTurbo

Going for broke
Mar 30, 2005
CT
Seriously, the easiest short term solution is just have your jza70 ecu fixed. Once the capacitors have been replaced once, they don't fail again. Or if you don't have it anymore/its unrepairable get another one and have the caps replaced before you run it.

RockPaperSwoRD

I have aCustom User Title
Jul 26, 2008
SanAntonio
++1 for getting your ecu caps fixed. Why spend 6k on getting a new engine swapped when for 70 bucks you can get your ecu fixed. My eu went out and after getting it fixed I have had no issues

Bigzavs

86.5 1JZ Single Turbo
Apr 21, 2005
Arlington, TX
either get a new 1JZ ecu, repair yours, or get the adapter harness and a 2JZ ecu.

theres no point to swapping in a 2J to fix your ecu problem, other than to say you now had a 2J.

kozzman555

Sep 8, 2009
Ft. Benning, GA
Hey guys, thanks for bringing me back down to earth. I was just so pissed off about this. I've had the car since september and it's be running for about 1 week of that time. It's driving me (lot literally obviously since it doesnt run lol) up the wall. i thiink i just found a guy that has a set of the soarer ecu plugs i need, so hopefully i can concentrate on going single turbo instead of fuckin around with this ecu when i get back from deployment. I appreciate all of your advice and will let you know how it goes

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
yea if you really want a 2jz you should just get your supra runing up to par and sell it im sure you could get 5-6k depending on your modds and ect...and with that money you could by a clean shell and build a 2jz from ground up if money not a problem...having 450hps or up would def want to upgrade better suspension and a biggger brake kit..check out the arizona performance brake kit heard nothing but good things about those willow woods...