1JZ Swap MK3

Heggy

Apr 5, 2012
Vaudreuil-Dorion
Hi I'm doing a IJZ swap into a '87 MK3. I just read some posts on engine mounts and now i'm a bit confused. Sorry to be a pain in the keister....

My plan is to change the subframe from the JZA70 front clip into the MK3. One engine mount was broken when I pulled the engine out of the clip. I ordered 2 new MK3 '90 GTE engine mounts. I really hope that they will fit as I'm a bit confused at the moment.... :(

Heggy

Apr 5, 2012
Vaudreuil-Dorion
No the MK3 is a LHD. I read on some site that the JZA70 subframe worked. Then I read elsewhere it did not, this my confusion. If I also change the rack (I have a rebuilt one for the swap LHD) will the JZ subframe work? It ws my understanding that the rack clips should be the same.

scottiedawg66

Apr 1, 2005
Bay Area Ca
Why not use your stock subframe? I did my swap with a clip, but i just used the stock lhd subframe, and the BIC pre 89 jz motor mounts. I think driftmotion sells jz motor mounts for both pre and post 89 cars.

The pre and post 89 lhd subframes require different motor mounts.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Steering rack mounts are different.

Just use pre89 swap brackets and mounts.

Or get a 89+ lhd subframe.

Heggy

Apr 5, 2012
Vaudreuil-Dorion
The reason why I would like to use the JZ subframe (and complete suspension) is that it is in very good condition and due to the lower mileage them the MK3 I could take advantage of the newer control arms, sway bars and struts (which apparently were lowered in the 90 JZ). I keep on hearin that the steering rack mounts are different (which is in contradiction to another post I read). I have never changed a steering rack myself, and I guess I can unbox the rebuilt one and see if I can spot where the differences are in comparison to the JZ clip. I bought and already have the 90 7MGTE mounts. I guess i was hoping I did not have to return them and buy the conversion mounts and the pre '89 engine mounts.

Heggy

Apr 5, 2012
Vaudreuil-Dorion
Just to close this, I asked Curt at Elmhurst Toyota if he could validate if the subframes are the same. And as always a quick professional response indicated that the '90 MA70 and '90 JZA70 have the same P/N front subframe 51210-14021.

Cheers!

Heggy

Apr 5, 2012
Vaudreuil-Dorion
Boy do I feel like an idiot.... The subframes are not the same. Steering rack MOUNTS are opposite for RHD. No idea why or how the P/N can be the same from Toyota...? Guess it depends where (in the world)you are ordering from.