1jz starting issues!! please help!!

kornfedmk3

Dec 9, 2011
des moines, IA
So before I had problems getting the car past 4k and figured out that if you cut the STA and NSW wire and ground them out together it fixed that problem.
Now if I drive my car long enough or if its really hot outside if I shut my car off I can't get it to restart right away either I have to sit for a while then try it or I pop start if I'm on a incline.
I thought maybe my start solenoid was shot since I could never hear the starter click when this happens so I replaced that yesterday and all was well then today it was pretty hot out and went in grocery store came out and next thing you know it does it again. :: angry :: so I sat there for awhile and turned the key a million times then finally after awhile it started. For those who don't know I have a soarer harness that was a auto. Car is a 89 supra 5 - spd original. I have seen you can run a wire from under the hood to the nsw by the pedals but that was on a s300. I don't know if it will be the same for the supra or not.

f00g00

Supramania Contributor
Jul 2, 2007
Kuwait
Won't crank?
I did the starter 30 amp relay bypass mod to solve that after the starter and relays were all changed. Only thing left was all the wires and connections which were from 1988 which I didn't feel like changing. Many purists do not like the fix as it doesn't fix the actual problem which could be poor connections, corrosion or old brittle wire etc.

kornfedmk3

Dec 9, 2011
des moines, IA
I don't know the start amp relay mod if you could give me some insight. And yes won't crank just hear the passenger side floorboard click start doesn't click or anything. This leaves me clueless as I changed the starter

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
You put a relay in so it gets 12v straight from the battery.

Other option is to replace the wire from ign switch to starter.

kornfedmk3

Dec 9, 2011
des moines, IA
I have a wire going from my battery straight to my starter. I might do the replacement wire from ign switch to starter. You don't think since my harness is auto I would have problems with the neutral safety switch? People also say to bypass the clutch pedal safety switch too. But I don't know how that's done.