1jz problems.. hesitation at wot..

jza240sx

Formerly jz240kouki
Jul 18, 2009
New Jersey
Ok so my motor is fully stock and boost is at stock setting. When i am not in WOT the motor will rev up fine no problems but in WOT at 4k 5k rpm my motor hesitates to go(sounds like2 step). Im reading full boost on gauge. Ive changed coilpacks, spark plugs(gapped .28) checked my ecu for damage and changed my fuel pump. I dont have a wideband hooked up at the moment so idk my afr readings. When i took off spark plugs they were all black..What can cause this to happen? I never had this problem til now. My car did sit for a while. I thought that my coilpacks were the problem since they were all cracked. Also since it did sit for a while my motor now puffs out blue smoke at start up then goes away after getting warm. Prety sure those are just valve seals and dont think that has anything to do with the hesitation.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Did you rpelace the coils with new or used?

black around the ring is normal and good. if the whole plug is black then there fouled out.

all the turbo motors run rich in boost for safety reasons with the stock ecu.

try checking for stored codes.

jza240sx

Formerly jz240kouki
Jul 18, 2009
New Jersey
hvyman;2012862 said:
Did you rpelace the coils with new or used?

black around the ring is normal and good. if the whole plug is black then there fouled out.

all the turbo motors run rich in boost for safety reasons with the stock ecu.

try checking for stored codes.

Replaced with new ones. The last set of plugs i took out were fouled. Going to check for codes next. I just wanted to see if anyone here has had the same situation with their 1jz so i can narrow down the problem quicker.

jza240sx

Formerly jz240kouki
Jul 18, 2009
New Jersey
Havent found the time to work on the car so i havent checked codes but starting to think i have a bad ecu. Also the heavy whitebluish smoke at idle does not smell anything like coolant or oil but very strong scent of gasoline. I saw someones thread on clublexus stating they had the same symptom and was a bad ecu. I changed the hg to new oem about three years ago with arp headstuds so it cant be bad hg. I have less than 1000 miles since the head was removed hot tank redecked and all new seals were done. I am still leaning towards my valve seals being bad since the car sat for about a year but as stated you cant smell burnt oil.. Anyone local with a JZX/JZZ series ecu please let me test it on my car! Also any suggestions would be great!

f00g00

Supramania Contributor
Jul 2, 2007
Kuwait
A wideband would help diagnose a lean spike if thats what is happening and it only takes a minute to read the codes.
I had a hesitation at around 3K with my walbro pump and solved it with the 12v mod. Apparently the walbros do not run as good at 6v.