1JZ Part - Oil cooler adapter?

Sam

Jan 31, 2008
Saskatchewan
I have a problem. My 1JZ-GTE engine is currently getting a full rebuild in a local mechanic's shop in my small town. Why my engine failed is I went to lean while attempting to tune the vehicle myself, and ended up melting two pistons.

So the part in question is this piece that fits onto the side of the block and an oil filter would plug into the other end. Two hoses come out of the device and, from what my mechanic and I can tell, would be used as an oil cooling device. He was told by another gentleman that you NEED to replace this, as it's impossible to clean out and if there were any debris in it, they could foul the engine later on. So my mechanic phoned Toyota (in Saskatchewan) and a 2JZ equivalent is over $900....

Would a 2JZ oil filter adapter/cooler device even work on the 1JZ? I don't really want to spend $900 on this thing, but if I HAVE to, I suppose I'll get a new one. Would an oil filter relocation kit replace this piece?

If anyone knows anything about this thing, like it's proper name, or how I can replace it or clean it, please share your opinions. Thanks.

picture003vc.jpg

picture002tb.jpg

picture001ro.jpg

Last edited:

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
i would say clean it. I cleaned mine off my 1jz and put it on my 2jz block after i knocked my engine. The hoses just go to a parts store and find something close to it. I would NOT buy a new one because of a melted piston

geartech

Mar 11, 2010
Birmingham, AL
As above, as long as you didn't have metal floating around in the oil you'll be o.k. What little foreign material that was in the oil should be able to be cleaned out of the cooler
You could also look at a aftermarket cooler that would replace the little factory one.
The cooler you run the oil the cooler you can get the bottom of the pistons with the oil squirters