1jz issue after taking off dampener

1jzQuest

May 29, 2009
Illinois, Davis
OK, it started and ran fine until I took off the dampener and also noticed that the somehow I broke a nipple off the plastic thing under the intake manifold - According to the manual this is not needed as it is a switched open atmosphere -vent - sooooo I take all the vaccuum line off and cap the nipple uunder the throttle body before the plate, and also the one right next to the egr on top - Now the car has a hard time starting and idleing real rough - If I hit the throttle is revs but than cant recover and just dies - Any suggestions? If I take a cap off one of the ports that I capped the car seems to idle and recover better but I cant have a open vaccuum. Help!

1jzQuest

May 29, 2009
Illinois, Davis
Update - didnt noticed this before
I can hear gas literely running through the fuel rail as if the regulator is stuck open or something - I am using the stock reg- could it be a reg problem?

1jzQuest

May 29, 2009
Illinois, Davis
Nope no vac line on the dampener, it was just fuel hose - I removed it when I installed a Walbro and have a braid hose from hardline to fuel rail now like Aarons bypass kit.

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
so this is after walbro and dampener bypass. You need to check fuel pressure. no two ways about it.

JPsToyota

Sep 17, 2008
East-Central, FL
1jzQuest;1534735 said:
Update - didnt noticed this before
I can hear gas literely running through the fuel rail as if the regulator is stuck open or something - I am using the stock reg- could it be a reg problem?

It's a return system right? I think it's normal to have gas constantly circulating through the fuel system on a return style setup.

JPsToyota

Sep 17, 2008
East-Central, FL
Are you talking about the big port on the rear of the intake manifold? A picture of what you're working with would be cool.

I think you capped or need to check your ISCV, or Idle Speed Control Valve. Basically this is what bleeds air into the intake manifold to control your idle speed, I think it may work off of a temp sensor. Obviously it won't idle correctly if you cap this or it gets stuck shut. Put a breather filter on there and make sure you dont have any open vacuum leaks and I bet your problems go away.

Sounds exactly like what my car does when you cap the ISCV.

Last edited:

1jzQuest

May 29, 2009
Illinois, Davis
OK - did some research on some things and looked at the ISVC - it was clean and open -
The plastic thing underneath that I took off is 17650 - from what I have read only controls hot starts. Vac line comes from a port under throttle body to a "T" and then one goes to the 17650 one goes to ? I am guessing a charcoal can? from 17650 goes back to the inside manifold port next to the ISVC not EGR. I have 1 open port on the outside of manifold, - came that way - not for sure what it was connected to. When removing the 17650 I get two more open ports that I have capped. Here comes the weird thing- If I remove a cap on any of the manifold ports that I capped the idle smoothes out and can rev without stumbling. Do I need to keep the port under the throttle body that has the one way chaeck valve connected to the manifold? OR what could be the issue - 1jz bugging me out.

1jzQuest

May 29, 2009
Illinois, Davis
I checked the ISCV tonight and its in the open position- I can blow in from exhaust side through the ISCV tube and into the intake. Was hoping that was the issue but looks like not