1jz inconsistent knocking sound at idle

Cp2295

Aug 8, 2016
Camas wa
Hey everyone just got my 1j swap buttoned up and been driving it for a couple days. It's got a new water pump timing belt, tensioner, and seals up front. Noticed at idle just today that it was making this very odd knocking sound only at idle, when it gets revved there is no noise, it sounds like a little man is inside the timing cover and knocking on the cover 😂. I proceeded to pulled the serp belt off, still made the noise.

When you put a stethoscope right on the upper timing cover it is very loud, I put my stethoscope all over. On the lower timing cover on the cam covers on the block and it just sounds faint, but right on that upper timing cover it is very loud. So I then pulled the upper cover off to see if a cam gear had backed off and was slapping around. Nope, they were tight. I fired it up with the cover off and put the stethoscope right on the metal backing for the upper timing cover, and the knock was very loud right there. And then my stethoscope got caught in the timing belt and made my exhaust cam jump a tooth... So I have to pulled the belt off anyways so I'm going to pull the cam gears off and see if I find anything behind them.

My dad said it sounded exactly like piston slap, an inconsistent sort of knocky noise, it is deep like a knock but not squeaky like a rod or tappy like a lifter/valve. And again it's in the topend so I don't see how it could be a rod/piston/crank noise.

If anyone has had this same noise or any input that would be greatly appreciated.

Cp2295

Aug 8, 2016
Camas wa
Correct, I think I may be getting somewhere. When I went to pull of the harmonic balancer the bolt was very tight, however when I went to put tension on my puller instead of just stopping and needing to use a gun to get the balancer off, it just came off by hand. No effort required to push the threads up against the crank snout, when I took it off the first time it was difficult to remove. Is this normal? Doesn't seem to me.

Also should the timing belt idler pulley be able to swing freely, the big 10mm Allen bolt is tight, it does seem normal to me since the tensioner would need to push up on it with time, just want to be sure that is correct. Another thing how much play should be in the pulley bearing? It is new and it has a decent amount of play, tightening the center bolt makes no difference, and the bearing is smooth so it seems normal to me.

Definitely could use some input on the harmonic balancer though, thanks!

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
The timing belt idle pulley should move, regardless of how tight the 10mm hex is.

I have not seen a factory JZ harmonic balancer in years. (Sorry no help there).