1JZ cam gear orientation question

Matt300ZXT

Jan 1, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
I am putting my 1JZ back together, well the front end, after putting in new cam seals, water pump, etc and before I put my tensioner and belt on I want to make sure of something. I know I have the exhaust gear on the exhaust cam and the intake gear on the intake cam but I want to make sure I have them on correctly. Are they are 0 offset, meaning the mounting surface is directly in the middle of the gear or is there a side that is supposed to be facing out and a side that's supposed to be facing in?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Ya there is a front and back. its usually noticeable. Also should see the outline where the cam bolt washer sits.

Matt300ZXT

Jan 1, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
Well from what I recall, both sides had marks as for lining up with the timing marks (one I think was a dot and the other side a hash mark), but both had marks where the washer would go from one side being up against the washer and the other being up against the face of the cam. I should have just taken nail polish or something and marked the outside face when I initially removed them.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
You need the side with the line in the side of gear area to be able to line it up at tdc.