1jz cam clearance issue.

kelson

Apr 17, 2009
Socorro, NM
Ok, so a little history: my 1jz head was warped so I decided instead of getting it resurfaced I would buy a new head from a club lexus member, because it was ported, +1mm ferrea valves....ect.

So today I got the ferrea valves put in with the stock springs and retainers (I'll upgrade those later. I'm not planning on reving the crap out of it yet.) so I transfered the buckets from the intake side of my old head to the corresponding places on the new head. I have never done the shims before, but it didn't seem hard so I put in the camshaft. When I went to check the clearance I realized the cam was holding all the valves .5~1mm open! when they should be completely closed. so I put the smallest shims I had on and repeat. same problem. so just for kicks and giggles I moved the buckets back to the original head and the clearance was right on. so now I'm just really confused. I check the specs on the ferrea valves and they are the same overall length as stock. am I missing something here? someone help.

P.S. I also checked with no shims in the buckets and there was a lot of clearance so how small of shims are available?

Bigzavs

86.5 1JZ Single Turbo
Apr 21, 2005
Arlington, TX
im not sure exactly, but the stem on the ferreas might be longer or shorter, cant remember. you might need to pull a valve and compare against a stock one. if it is longer you can either get a smaller shim, or have the top of the valve stems cut down

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
when you do a valve job you have to cut the tops of the valves since material was taken off the head.

kelson

Apr 17, 2009
Socorro, NM
hvyman;1524647 said:
when you do a valve job you have to cut the tops of the valves since material was taken off the head.

ah! I see that makes sense. so do I have to get a machine shop to do that?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Usually if you want it precise. That is also part of a valve job. Idk why it wasnt done if the guy got new valve's.

kelson

Apr 17, 2009
Socorro, NM
hvyman;1524663 said:
Usually if you want it precise. That is also part of a valve job. Idk why it wasnt done if the guy got new valve's.

ok thanks. it does seem a little odd but the head was never installed so I guess thats why. it only came with intake valves, I had to order the exhaust myself.