1jz build with big single turbo and support - What EMU is right for me?

brett

fa show
Apr 29, 2007
Cincinnati
www.kms-fab.com
i have been going back and forth for my 1jz build. maybe you all can help me. i am teedering on standalone vs. higher-end piggy back. stinger 4484 standalone has caught my eye and so has emanage blue. i have read good things about MAP ECU & 2. so here goes...

set-up:
GT4082 .86a/r
SAFC II (now)
AEM W/B o2
AFPR
440cc now (650cc ready and waiting)
264 cams
dual walbro's

goals/thoughts:
i would like 450whp at 15-17psi - daily
i want the ease of tuning, but the capability to use it in drag racing form - 2-step, launch control
i would also like to fool with both fuel and timing - as i have upgraded inj. & cams and want to optimize them
i want to get rid of the fuel/boost cut and speed cut issues (retain a rev limit though)
i want to retain close to stock drivability as well - i would like to drive this around wherever i could

thoughts? i couldnt find a recent thread to jump into. sorry if the explanation is getting old, but i just cant find good data relative to my issues and goals. i jsut dont think an SAFC with the planned numbers and inejctor sizes would be what i am looking for. thanks in advance,

brett

JimR

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Canada
You may also want to consider the Maftpro. The only things it's missing from your list are 2-step and confirmed timing control. We have timing control working for the 7M, but I haven't heard of a 1J setup yet.

If you go any bigger than 650-680cc injectors... I would say you are in standalone territory.

Speed cut with the 1JZ is simply a wiring issue.

suprahilux

ULTRA Lurker
Jun 12, 2007
conroe, texas
Jim, If the timing control for the maft pro is intercepting and adjusting the cam sensor signal on the 7m, It will work on the 1j because they use the same signals/configuration. However, output from the ecu will be different between the two.

I agree, I think you are in standalone territory.

Last edited:

RoadRaceMK3

Corner Speed > Trap Speed
Feb 26, 2009
Tempe, AZ
I would definitely recommend going with a standalone for reliability with those mods. Which one in specific, is really debatable as there are a ton of good standalone's out there. Some other people with more experience with them will probably step in. Personally I used the Emanage before and didn't like it. It didn't let me do nearly the amount of fuel control I needed for my injectors at the time and ended up having a very poor running car until I got a standalone. :nono:

brett

fa show
Apr 29, 2007
Cincinnati
www.kms-fab.com
it's been awhile and i appreciate the input thus far. i am leaning toward the stinger unit and if i come across a good deal in the near future, i will take it down! i dont have the cash not for the full deal, so i will keep my boost down and all that until later in the year. thanks!

any others?

mk3_7m

Jul 21, 2007
melbourne
brett;1273117 said:
i have been going back and forth for my 1jz build. maybe you all can help me. i am teedering on standalone vs. higher-end piggy back. stinger 4484 standalone has caught my eye and so has emanage blue. i have read good things about MAP ECU & 2. so here goes...

set-up:
GT4082 .86a/r
SAFC II (now)
AEM W/B o2
AFPR
440cc now (650cc ready and waiting)
264 cams
dual walbro's

goals/thoughts:
i would like 450whp at 15-17psi - daily
i want the ease of tuning, but the capability to use it in drag racing form - 2-step, launch control
i would also like to fool with both fuel and timing - as i have upgraded inj. & cams and want to optimize them
i want to get rid of the fuel/boost cut and speed cut issues (retain a rev limit though)
i want to retain close to stock drivability as well - i would like to drive this around wherever i could

thoughts? i couldnt find a recent thread to jump into. sorry if the explanation is getting old, but i just cant find good data relative to my issues and goals. i jsut dont think an SAFC with the planned numbers and inejctor sizes would be what i am looking for. thanks in advance,

brett

DOnt know if this might help but here in aus this guy is pretty good at tuning 1jz,2jz vvti and non vvti and also a 7m with the Emanage blue/Ultimate..

http://www.etuner.com.au/etunerforum/viewforum.php?f=15

there a list of engines he has tune.. by the way i dont know what the case with dyno's from aus comapared to US but aus dyno seems lower reading anyway.. here you go.. hope it helps//

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I like my Stinger EMS, but I've never had anything other than this to compare it too. Good luck.

brett

fa show
Apr 29, 2007
Cincinnati
www.kms-fab.com
yes sir, very well put. stock ECU goes bye-bye.

that being said, would you all go for EMS's 6860 or the Stinger 4424? i ask because i know the 6860 has 6 ignition outputs.

would this eliminate teh use or need of the HKS DLI-type unit? if so, how? any thoughts are appreciated.

perhaps pros-cons of each. i know i want to use 2-step in the next year or two and saw the software wasnt out yet. thanks again!

brett

afracer

Sep 1, 2007
Abilene, TX
HKS F-con V is another option, as well as AEM or Apexi Power FC if you can find one (for JZA70). I would NOT recommend Emanage, I knew a guy that ran one on his GT67 1JZ and it never ran right no matter how much he messed with it. Eventually switched to AEM and never looked back. I'm running the F-con V and stock ECU, you can tune fuel and timing, but HKS tuners have to do it due to the software required to tune it. I figured I'll get mine tuned once and run it like it is for a long time. So I can keep options like cruise control and A/C this way. We'll see how it tunes and dynos next month hopefully!

Current setup in the works:
1JZ w/Bullseye S362 (T4 .82 A/R twin scroll)
BC 264 cams
540 injectors
HKS F-con V w/3 bar MAP