1j soarer auto engine and trans. Mk3 chassis

suprachris

Nov 22, 2015
fort wayne
I'm having a few issues.. I have a 1jz auto out of a soarer. I have it up and running/driving. My tach is not correct, says red line is 3400 rpm. Also when I shift front park to neutral it dies also from drive to neutral it dies.. I can't seam.to figure this out. I have checked and rechecked the wiring, nothing is jumping out at me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Car is a September of 86 chassis.

rhs

Sep 21, 2014
Dallas
If you started with a 7MGE chassis (which I believe all 1986.5 are), you need a tach adapter to convert the signal. Driftmotion sells them.

Maybe the ECU or transmission computer is bad? I think I have one for the transmission laying around that I'd be willing to send if you just cover shipping.

suprachris

Nov 22, 2015
fort wayne
My car is a factory turbo automatic chassis.. I personally have owned this car since 60k miles..ten plus years. the gauge cluster is still the turbo auto gauge cluster.. also I'm running the 1jz auto ecu. The Trans shifts fine and kicks down like it should. Now I didn't know there was a separate computer for the transmission..1jz no vvti.

rhs

Sep 21, 2014
Dallas
suprachris;2069696 said:
My car is a factory turbo automatic chassis.. I personally have owned this car since 60k miles..ten plus years. the gauge cluster is still the turbo auto gauge cluster.. also I'm running the 1jz auto ecu. The Trans shifts fine and kicks down like it should. Now I didn't know there was a separate computer for the transmission..1jz no vvti.

I know I pulled a computer for the transmission from my car. Since I swapped to manual I never messed with the auto. Maybe only 7Ms use a separate ecu for it.

suprachris

Nov 22, 2015
fort wayne
You know I'm not sure. I know when I pulled the 7mgte auto out years ago it was only one ecu labeled a/t now I believe there was one for cruse and or abs. But it's been 8 years since I've don't that.. I don't remember.. I tried to find info online but no luck yet.. I could have a vacuum leak, I gave up on the car for a few weeks. It will stay running when I select gears if I give it a hair of fuel or if it's cold.. maybe it has a real low idle. Can't tell with the tach. It reads 4-5 hundred when it's warm. 900 when cold. Seams off to me.

rhs

Sep 21, 2014
Dallas
400-500 is low for idle. The iac valve is known to stick and cause a low idle. I sometimes have to rev it when stopped so it doesn't die.

It's been a couple years for me too. I'll look through my parts and see what I can find just to make sure I'm not full of it. I just remember there being multiple computers I pulled and for some reason remember one being for the transmission, but I could be wrong. My car doesn't have ABS.

I guess this is the curse of choosing a niche market project car...

suprachris

Nov 22, 2015
fort wayne
Pretty much. I'll look into the iac an see if it's all gummed up.. I forgot I had the same issue on the 7mgte. Maybe I'll finish putting my 3 core radiator in tonight so I can run it and check for vac leaks..

suprachris

Nov 22, 2015
fort wayne
Didn't run it tonight. I did however get the radiator and fans mountermd. Trans cooler mountermd and power steering ran. Installed the new center support bearing, added coolant.. I'll bleed it tomorrow after I hook up the fan controller.. I did how hmever notice my cheap cx racing bov has two ports on it. Don't know why, but I capped one off. Maybe that's the issue.. who knows..

rhs

Sep 21, 2014
Dallas
For anyone's future reference, there is a computer for the transmission on some cars, labeled ECT. I'm not sure what it does though. Thinking back there was an ECT button on the shifter.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456591582.808473.jpg

suprachris

Nov 22, 2015
fort wayne
Thanks for the help. I just looked at my 1j harness and there is a plug kinda like that. I did some digging, the only thing I can find that plugs into mine is the trc computer. Idk if it does the same thing or not but I ordered one.

suprachris

Nov 22, 2015
fort wayne
I figured it out.. the black nsw wire is a ground.. not a power wire.. the trc computer didn't do a damn thing. It works. Flips a check engine lamp when boost launching, it was removed. I still get a code for rpm signal wire. Haven't been to worried about it yet. Buy will look further into it... thanks for the help..