1997 Toyota 4Runner stall on start

dimixtron

cbhxb
Jan 22, 2008
Downey, CA
Hey all, I'm having an issue with my 97 4runner and its driving me nuts. Here's how it started: I had been driving on the freeway and went.from 60mph to 90mph and then I let go of gas, once the done reached idle speed, car stalled and shut off. Even after starting the vehicle it wouldn't remain on at idle speed unless I gave it gas to 1500rpms+. I managed to make it more manageable by adjusting the Allen bolt on the throttle body so that it would not die while driving.

To resolve the issue I have the following:
Purchased and replaced fuel filter
Purchased and replaced spark plugs
Took off the throttle body and used throttle body cleaner to remove grime buildup.

After doing the above the car started "ok" but I know for sure that on a complete cold start the issue may continute. I don't believe it has anything to do with actual the actual cold start system but I'm open to just about anything right now.

No cracked hoses, none ripped either. I'm appreciative to what anyone has to say or if anyone has dealt with a similar issue. I thought it first to be fuel pump but I think that it would cut out after being warm rather then just initial starts.

Thanks all, Dimitris

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Not sure if it applies to the 3.4, but I had a similar issue with my 93 22R where the EGR valve would get stufk at times and woul need a whack to re-seal. Otherwise you were adding exhaust gas into the idle mixture, which made it run like poo.

Other things to check would be the MAF sensor- the sensing wires inside can get comtaminated with crap and lead to incorrect signals/fueling. CEL on?

dimixtron

cbhxb
Jan 22, 2008
Downey, CA
toyotanos;1791436 said:
Not sure if it applies to the 3.4, but I had a similar issue with my 93 22R where the EGR valve would get stufk at times and woul need a whack to re-seal. Otherwise you were adding exhaust gas into the idle mixture, which made it run like poo.

Other things to check would be the MAF sensor- the sensing wires inside can get comtaminated with crap and lead to incorrect signals/fueling. CEL on?

Yes, it is the 3.4, sorry I didn't mention that. I checked the maf and it looked clean as a whistle. I'm really at my whits end here. No CEL light and I checked codes and only something for o2 sensor comes up but nothing to trigger the CEL. Recommendations?