1996 Volkswagen Polo 1.4

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Oh, I know well (well enough for a Yank anyway) Britain's car industry... I'd be surprised if ours doesn't end up that way eventually.

By the way, would absolutely LOVE to build a 7 replica someday, or own an Atom... that just seems like too much fun NOT to have. :D

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
te72;1823735 said:
By the way, would absolutely LOVE to build a 7 replica someday, or own an Atom... that just seems like too much fun NOT to have. :D

I'll just leave this here... http://exomotive.com/exocet/

Also, yeah, no reason to sell a car you got for literally nothing. Hell, even if it falls apart it's worth something in scrap metal :rofl:

SWD Fredester 3

Supramania Contributor
Apr 25, 2008
baltimore maryland
Almost responded to your thread yesterday. Nice FREE car, have fun and smile! For some reason it reminded me of my old Hillman Minx that I sold to buy a Sunbeam Rapier==very fun little sedan. That was a long time ago, back in the early '60's!!!

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Poodles;1823772 said:
I'll just leave this here... http://exomotive.com/exocet/
You sir are a bastard. As if I needed ANOTHER idea rolling around in my head... Kinda ugly, if I'm honest, like a love child of a 7 AND an Atom. Strange, but you can't beat that price with a stick. You could have that thing built and running for what it costs just to get a 7 replica put together (then add another 3-$$$$ thousand for the donor for said 7). Seems like good value to me. Then again, what is it, a tube frame laid on top of a Miata drivetrain? Starting to wonder if something couldn't be fabricated in the shop... Wait, no, I've gone down *that* path. Gonna stop right there I think. :)

Kai;1823811 said:
I love the old Hillman....i have a 'thing' for both the Hillman Imp Californian and the Hillman Avenger Tiger 2-door. Such a shame Chrysler ploughed them into the ground :(
Dude, I only WISH cars had names that cool these days, rather than the Buick XDF and Toyota LGV that my neighbors just bought. You should SEE the Ferarri ODI that I just saw the other day, thing of beauty, that car... :nono:

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
They didn't just sound cool, they had soul, they looked cool and they were the underdogs, trying to compete in the space that wasn't filled with GM or Ford at the time. Ignore the fact that the Imp was assembled in Scotland by shipyard workers who had all the finesse of a hammer, the technical stuff was way, WAY more advanced than a Mini in almost every respect.

Anyway, polo update:

I have been given a yellow slip in my mailbox to say there's a parcel waiting for me....is it the exhaust section? The distributor cap? I don't know! We'll find out in 180 minutes :p

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
Turns out the package was indeed a distributor cap. Problem is, it wasn't the right one. The AEX engine can use either a Bosch distributor, or the slightly better Marelli one. I got sent the Bosch one. So in typical British fashion, i gritted my teeth and ordered the other one, and now have to jump through hoops to get a refund for the other one. Still, the new one arrived on saturday, and i set to work. Dead simple replacement of course.

Here's what the old one looked like - the original one with 107,000 miles on it, terminals on both sides were manky and worn out.

IMG_3260.JPG

And in contrast, a new one (but the Bosch one):

IMG_3256.jpg

The HT leads were in surprisingly good condition, and the spark plugs had already been replaced. However, i've only just had a chance to give it a proper drive, taking my missus back to St. Malo Ferry Terminal. It's the first time i've taken it out on the Motorway, too. It makes one hell of a difference. Even managed to hit 95mph in 5th (the motorway was virtually empty), and got back home with a smile on my face. It's even been given an official name - 'patch', in relation to the amount of bodywork & paintwork it needs :D

The window clips also arrived on saturday, and the new front/centre silencer arrived in the afternoon, thanks to a courier. Damn good value it was too - cost me £15.27 off eBay for a brand new one, with shipping only coming to £12. For anyone thats unfamiliar with VW pricing, a new one would have come to £68 + 20% VAT!

I'll give the exhaust replacement a go on wednesday with my mate Ray who's coming over for a lesson on 'how to change oil 101', although i have a funny feeling all the exhaust fixings are going to need the attention of an angle grinder and some new joining clips...

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Just giving you a bit of hell man, I've had a couple cars that have had them. Two I can think of, but never bothered working on most of them, so... yeah.