1.5JZ ECU troubles opinions needed

aka paco

Hey guys i could really use some input here.

6 or 7 years ago a friend of mine put together a 1.5JZ Supra

it ran great, he ended up selling the car to someone local, eventually the injectors basically started dumping gas whenever the car was on and it would basically drown out the motor to the point where he drained 8 qts of fuel/oil out of the oil pan.

He changed out about everything he could think of to fix it, nothing worked, eventually he tried someone elses ECU on the car and it ran great.

A year later the same thing happened again, he changed the ecu out and was on his way..

car is tuned with safc, also has fpr, 550 injectors with resistor mod, fmic, custom y pipe, 4" exhaust..

anyways the previous owner had the car sitting for 2 years under a tree after the last ecu went out.

I recently bought the car, changed out the ecu, drained oil, fuel, coolant refilled everything change the spark plugs

cranked it up and it's running great so far knock on wood.

My thing is i'm guessing it's only a matter of time before the ecu craps out again, my friend that originally built the car is suggesting Stand alone will eliminate the problem, I just don't want to have to invest that kind of money.
Another friend is thinking maybe if i put 440's in and eliminate the resistors the 550's require it might clear the issue up.

I'm not really sure what to do but i'd hate to just have to keep replacing 1jz ecu's everytime they burn up which could be a week or a year who knows..

thanks for any input..

aka paco

That's what i'm afraid, I can get a pretty good deal on a Tec3, I just don't have any other plans for the car HP wise so it seems like overkill buying a Stand alone.. I guess if it came down to it, i might not have a choice..

any idea what is causing it to burn up ecu's after time? or is this fairly common with the mods?

Albert

Custom CT26, CT12a, CT20 upgrades
May 13, 2009
Tempe, AZ
I have a local friend making 400rwhp on a standalone. HP has nothing to do with it. But it's safe and he has never had an issue. (even running a 7M)

Then he adds race gas and makes 800whp.

You can still have a standalone at 300-400. Worth it IMO

aka paco

ATL88Supra;1805955 said:
If you are burning up ecu's there is a biger problem that you need to get fixed ecu's rarely fail

See that's exactly the way i feel, I'm just not sure what the problem is, I was thinking maybe getting rid of the 550's with resistors and going to 440's would possibly fix it but i kinda hate downgrading to 440's..

the previous two ECU's lasted around a year each..

Torque

Sep 7, 2008
In your home
aka paco;1805977 said:
See that's exactly the way i feel, I'm just not sure what the problem is, I was thinking maybe getting rid of the 550's with resistors and going to 440's would possibly fix it but i kinda hate downgrading to 440's..

the previous two ECU's lasted around a year each..
IMO that's the best option, to get rid of the 550's and resistor. That's what I did. I got rid of the 500's and all associated piggy back system on the car and just went with the AEM stand alone. I've had enough of the 1JZ BS issues.

aka paco

Thanks for the input guys..

anyone else have this issue before?

local guy is offering a new in box Tec3r new in the box with a few hundred dollars in other misc things i'll need for it, asking 1350 firm.. guess i'll jump on that..