Powered by Team Mondor
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BC 272 Cams with stock rods and pistons?

Supramania Regular

Default BC 272 Cams with stock rods and pistons?

Im planning a rebuild for a 91 shortblock Im picking up soon and was wondering if 272 cams will be ok with stock pistons and rods. Im only going for 490-520HP but I wanted to keep the valves open longer. My ideal goal is to be able to rev the motor to at least 7200rpms. I will upgrade the valve springs as well, and go with 1mm oversized valves. However will this be all safe with reconditioned parts? Is there anything more I can do to prep the motor for this?

Thanks
    ~JDMMA70
    1988 Toyota Supra Turbo Auto Two-Tone Blue (21C)/Blue Interior
    Running at 85%

Suprita

Default Re: BC 272 Cams with stock rods and pistons?

if you get the 500hp, you will be pushing the limits of a stock bottom end, if you are going to spend that money save for a set of eagle rods and probe pistons and go the safe way.
    MY MODS:2jzgeT, Ported and polished cylinder head/268 regrinds/2.5mm Cometic metal head gasket/ARP head bolts/Stage 2 clutch (Custom)/FFIM/ 80MM throttle body/ 3" hot intercooler 3.5" cold hardpipes/Front mount intercooler/HKS blow off/Turbonetics T76 14.7psi/OBX 60mm wastegate/Turboheader/3.5 inches exhaust/AFI 850cc injectors/ 2 Walbro 255lph/AEM wideband/AEM EMS/Electric fans.

475rwhp459torq an climbin

Quote Originally Posted by a_sesshoumaru View Post
    if you get the 500hp, you will be pushing the limits of a stock bottom end, if you are going to spend that money save for a set of eagle rods and probe pistons and go the safe way.
    People have gone to 700rwhp on stock rods. Safety insurance is in Eagle rods or better. It's ultimately in the tune.

Quote Originally Posted by a_sesshoumaru View Post
    Yeah, you have to be careful with the stock bottom end. After all it's pretty weak.
    88 turbo GT42
    753 rwhp/ 589 rwtq @ 30 psi on stock internals

www.boostwerx.com
    http://www.coltranewelding.com/dyno.htm

So your not asking if the cams go with the rods an pistons. You want to know if the rods/pistions can handle 500 hp.? I believe thats an insurance call. Im only shooting for 400 ish and I bought Probe pistions and eagle rods. Whats the WORST that could happen If I decide to Add more power. I Wont have to go into the motor a Second time .

Quote Originally Posted by X-man View Post
    Yeah, you have to be careful with the stock bottom end. After all it's pretty weak.
    lol......I think you beat SEB AU's dyno didn't you.lol

Quote Originally Posted by White Zombie View Post
    So your not asking if the cams go with the rods an pistons. You want to know if the rods/pistions can handle 500 hp.? I believe thats an insurance call. Im only shooting for 400 ish and I bought Probe pistions and eagle rods. Whats the WORST that could happen If I decide to Add more power. I Wont have to go into the motor a Second time .
    The ultimate reason to do this is in case you want to really crank the power over 600-700rwhp. See X-mans sig.DOH

Supramania Regular

alright thanks for the advice ill upgrade rods and pistons and have the rotating assembly balanced. thanks again

~jdmma70
    1988 Toyota Supra Turbo Auto Two-Tone Blue (21C)/Blue Interior
    Running at 85%

Supramania Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by JDMMA70 View Post
    alright thanks for the advice ill upgrade rods and pistons and have the rotating assembly balanced. thanks again

~jdmma70

If you got .040 over, and do what you are planning on to the head, you are going to hava carbon copy of my entire block/head. (Minus the driftmotion oil tube) LOL

Quote Originally Posted by whisler151
    How did I lose? His engine governed out at 130 and the V was pullin' strong...oh yeah, he cheated and turned on his lights. What a bitch!
    417 rwhp / 382 tq on 15 lbs

Supramania Regular

I guess you guys missed the inside joke that Xman had. He put down over 700rwhp on the stock bottom end and head. The only thing that he had was a HKS HG with ARP's. Like they said before, it's all about the tune of the car. Xman had his car running with over 500rwhp for a long time and made many passes at the strip and dyno.