Powered by Team Mondor
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: 2JZGTE MKIII Swap Info

Supramania Regular

Default Re: 2JZGTE MKIII Swap Info

Quote Originally Posted by 90supradrvr View Post
    so since im gonna do the 2jz i just need a r154 tranny (im not doing auto) and then get a drive shaft from a mkiv turbo. and a bell housing off a 1jz. is that right?
    You need a drive shaft from a mk3 turbo with r-154 trans and not from
    mk4 turbo!
    If you keep the twin turbos you'll have to punch/hit the firewall exactly
    1 cm and slightly relocate the ABS lines without their heat shield.
    That is what I did but I used the 1jz motor brackets not BIC brackets...
    ''In the end there will be only one car standing.
    Toyota Supra...simply the best""

R.I.P. Giagia (grandma)

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'

Quote Originally Posted by 90supradrvr View Post
    so since im gonna do the 2jz i just need a r154 tranny (im not doing auto) and then get a drive shaft from a mkiv turbo. and a bell housing off a 1jz. is that right?
    and i quote what i just wrote

" R154 you will need an r154 driveshaft from a manual turbo mkiii supra.... yup it is a direct fit my car is proof... you will need a 1jz bellhousing everything after that is a 7mgte clutch deal.
    "

the 1jz brackets will work with supras 89+ not pre 89 unless you swap the crossmember to a 89+ because of the square and round mount difference. thats where the BIC mounts come in handy because you dont need to swap the crossmember... i opted to get the BIC ones because i could get them faster than if i was trying to source 1jz ones because at the time noone was selling them

Soupy

How was your experience with jdmenginedepot.com??? I'm considering them Thanks in advance

89 Turbo and White 5 Spd SC300 Daily Driver

Noob..but not incompetent

I went to the place and picked out my motor. It was an overall good experience.

88 Supra Turbo 5 Speed BPU... 2JZGTE DBB67 Started- 3/4/08. Done- never (but shes home!)
    Check it out- http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67577

Lurker

hi guys i'm new here.i just wana know if a w58 from a 7mge gearbox can be used with the 2jzgte??

Banned

Exclamation Re: 2JZGTE MKIII Swap Info

Question, Can I use the wiring harness from the 2jz that comes with engine and hook it into my car, it says you had it mated tot he 7m one? also why do you need 1jz components like the 1jz igniter, can this work with a a70 auto in my mkiii also does the firewall have to be pushed back. I saw you needed new brackets fro teh engine to mount on can you use the stock ones somehow? I may buy a 2jz and swap it into my mkiii i have 3400.00 is that enough.

Noob..but not incompetent

Quote Originally Posted by AllStreet View Post
    Question, Can I use the wiring harness from the 2jz that comes with engine and hook it into my car, it says you had it mated tot he 7m one? also why do you need 1jz components like the 1jz igniter, can this work with a a70 auto in my mkiii also does the firewall have to be pushed back. I saw you needed new brackets fro teh engine to mount on can you use the stock ones somehow? I may buy a 2jz and swap it into my mkiii i have 3400.00 is that enough.
    I am going to answer your questions in list form.
    1)No, you must mate the 2J harness and the 7M harness.
    2)You need an igniter because the 7M one will not work with the 2J.
    3) I am not sure if the auto trans will work.
    4) The firewall needs to be pushed back if you are keeping stock twins.
    5) No, that is why you need the brackets.
    6) I doubt that is enough. Even doing the work yourself.

88 Supra Turbo 5 Speed BPU... 2JZGTE DBB67 Started- 3/4/08. Done- never (but shes home!)
    Check it out- http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67577

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'

Quote Originally Posted by AllStreet View Post
    every question you have asked was answered but i'll answer them again.

the only reason you would use 1jz electronics is if you are wanting to use a 1jz harness and ecu so you dont have to do the wiring as much and its similar to a 1jz swap - you would need something else to tune the car. i honestly would get your 2jz harness to work with your car because the 2jz ecu's have a better reputation.

the auto will work.

the firewall question has been answered MANY times if you want the stock twins you need to push it back a bit

for the love of god read the thread the bracket question has been answered. YOU NEED BRACKETS. THE BRACKETS FOR A 7M ENGINE WILL NOT WORK.

3,400 total to buy the engine and everything? no. re read the thread

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'

Quote Originally Posted by JayMk3SupRa View Post
    hi guys i'm new here.i just wana know if a w58 from a 7mge gearbox can be used with the 2jzgte??
    so i guess being new doesnt mean you have to read the thread?

you need a 2jzge bellhousing, flywheel, clutch. if your supra had the w58 driveshaft it will work fine.

Zero State

Thumbs up Re: 2JZGTE MKIII Swap Info

oOoOh... Great thread. I've been recently looking into doing a JZ swap since my car has not run for some 5 years now. Long time ago, in a galaxy far far away, I wanted to keep it 7M. I tried picking up parts over the years, piecing things together and all that, we all know how this ends up. I take the motor apart, but all I did was look at it, and everything just looked harder and harder to rebuild as the days, months, years, went by. It seems now I just want to go the JZ route. Probably because 5 years ago, not much information was so readily available on JZ swaps. Looks pretty too.

By the way, if you use the JZ auto trans, wouldn't you need the trans computer too? I was looking for that Suprastick a couple months ago, but the website, latentsolutions.com, looks like its expired now. Out of business?

I would like to keep mine Auto, preferably the one that's in there, but am having trouble deciding between 1JZ and 2JZ. The 1JZ looks about $3-500 cheaper for just the engine. But I think if I can find a 1JZ A70 front clip it would have everything I need to do the swap, save the harness splicing. A 2JZ would require the rear sump parts unless I got one out of a MK4 Supra, as well as mounts, and the possibility of a big headache, but added oomph straight from the box. I like the prospect of the 2JZ, but the 1JZ is very tempting, especially if I can find a front clip, which would make things waaay simpler. I guess I can always flip a coin for it... Right???
    I once met a guy with a thick British accent in Redondo Beach who had worked for Rolls Royce for 15 years, now working assembling Gulf Stream 5's, he put a 5.0L Mustang engine into a ~2000lb 1972 Triumph Stag. It was absolutely gorgeous. He views working on cars as his "therapy".

I've got a basic rebuild together. Using NPR pistons and rings, ACL Main and Rod bearings, everything is well within spec. Head was tanked surfaced properly and had all the valves reseated, and block was tanked, surfaced, bored and honed to .020" over. ARP rod bolts, main cap bolts, head bolts, HKS 1.2MM HG. Just gotta degrease the engine bay and start assembling...