Attached Images Attached Images
    - Justin

'91 Graphite Targa Turbo
    F-Quick -- Myspace -- Facebook

Supramania Regular

Default Re: Oil Analysis - Post your VOA and UOA Here

Quote Originally Posted by KicknAsphlt View Post
    Here's mine...
    LOL. Nice timing, looks like I'm not the only one with that slightly leaky HG problem. You seem to have a nearly identical problem.

Edit that last post... how long did you run on that oil? I doubt it was 137,500 miles...
    -Colin

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Filtration

Yep...the high levels of sodium and potassium indicate coolant. That leads to wear on the bearings and drive the wear metal values up just as the analysis shows. You also have a fairly high level of silicon...bet you're using a K&N air filter

I would dump the 20W-50 for a 30W multigrade.
    I will no longer respond to tech questions via PM. If you have a question, put it on the forum so everyone benefits from the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Supracentral
    However I still stand by my statement that 99 times out of 100, the weak link in the MKIII is the owner.
    Quote Originally Posted by jetjock
    I swear, it's like talking to an amoeba...

Want to know about oil...read this:
    Motor Oil 101 - Dr AE Haas

"Life is like a jar of Jalapeno Peppers
    What you do today, might Burn Your Ass Tomorrow"

Occasional Peruser

Quote Originally Posted by mkIIIman089 View Post
    LOL. Nice timing, looks like I'm not the only one with that slightly leaky HG problem. You seem to have a nearly identical problem.

Edit that last post... how long did you run on that oil? I doubt it was 137,500 miles...
    Changed it last March, but the thing uses oil pretty regularly...so it always gets a fresh quart every so often...LOL! My car has a MHG that the previous owner put on, but the car overheated last year on my way back from Vegas...since then, I've had cooling issues with the damn thing, and I've gotta add coolant/water every so often (not drastically, but every probably week and a half or two weeks)...I think I either warped the head, cracked it, or maybe cracked the gasket (if that's possible)....or maybe they didn't finish the gasket surfaces on the head and/or block properly before installing the gasket. I was gonna try a retorque first when I get it back from the body shop. If that doesn't work, then well....time to yank the head off and see what's wrong. Oh, and that's my first analysis for this car.

Quote Originally Posted by jdub View Post
    Yep...the high levels of sodium and potassium indicate coolant. That leads to wear on the bearings and drive the wear metal values up just as the analysis shows. You also have a fairly high level of silicon...bet you're using a K&N air filter

I would dump the 20W-50 for a 30W multigrade.
    Roger that, I'll take that under advisement.
    - Justin

'91 Graphite Targa Turbo
    F-Quick -- Myspace -- Facebook

Want The Boooooossttttttt

i have a question, im changing my oil soon and im gonna take a sample i already sent my info to blackstone requesting a sample kit.

my question is, how long do you guys wait once you crack the drain bolt/valve open? it says to try and get the middle of the draining oil not the start or the end. i was just curious.
    86.5 N/a 5spd Sports Package - Marlin Crawler Solid Pinion Spacer, Marlin Crawler Shifter Bushings, ShaftMasters 1pcs Aluminum Drive Shaft, KYB GR2's, Drift Motion Braided Stainless Clutch Line, 89+ Climate Control, Coin Pocket TEMS Button Delete

I let about a quart drain, then fill the bottle. Use Black Stone's bottle and be very careful when you open to fill...don't touch the inside or let anything but oil get in it.

For UOA's between changes, this makes it easy:
    http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38929
    I will no longer respond to tech questions via PM. If you have a question, put it on the forum so everyone benefits from the answer.

However I still stand by my statement that 99 times out of 100, the weak link in the MKIII is the owner.

Is it worth it to send them a sample after a fresh oil change to get a reference point? or should i wait about 3000 miles?

Oh and that engine oil drain valve is a very nice product thanks for the info jdub

I'm a believer in a VOA to get a baseline on the oil before it goes in the motor. That way you can see what metals are already in the oil and it's TBN.

Regular Supramaniac

Here are a couple UOAs from my daily driver. While not supra related, they are rather interesting. Jdub helped me out in figuring out what was going on and indicated that I should post my results as they might benefit others in similar situations.

The car is a 2002 maxima with a VQ35 engine - 6MT with 120,000 km on the clock. I did a UOA on the first oil change (to GC Syntec 0W30) after I bought it. The first analysis indicated high sodium (As well as high molybdenum and boron - not additives in GC 0W30), a sign of coolant contamination. Blackstone indicated that I had coolant in the oil, however, it appears as though this was based upon the ICP spectrometry alone, not a glycol test.

After digging around, I found that the previously used oil was an esso/exxon/mobil conventional oil which reportedly may have used sodium in the additive package. I sampled at the next oil change and re-submitted. The most recent results indicated that sodium, boron, and moly dropped by about one-half; however, the lab again suggested the presence of coolant despite the fact that the oil tested negative for glycol.

This is a case of there being more to the actual condition of the engine than meets the eye. I was seriously considering having the cooling system pressure tested, but as the car never overheated or lost coolant, I decided to do one more UOA before pursuing the potential problem further. As you can see, one UOA does not tell the whole story about the condition of an engine. My advice is that if you choose to analyze your oil, do so on a regular basis. It isn't overly expensive, and it can generally save you money by both allowing to safely extend oil change intervals, and discover problems before they become costly.

UOA 1

UOA 2

Aliens.

Here is mine, any other thoughts besides those already presented?
    Attached Images Attached Images