Powered by Team Mondor
Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Brian Crower 7M cams and ignition timing issue

Default Brian Crower 7M cams and ignition timing issue

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey

I have just fitted a set of brian crower stage 2 cams to my 7MGE and now I cant get enough static ignition advance before I hit the end of the adjustment range. Max advance at idle I can get is about 5 deg BTDC.

I have tried popping the dizzy out and advancing it by one tooth on the drive gear but this gave way too much advance.

Anybody else tried these cams out and had similar issues??

I may just file out the slot to get about another 10 degrees advance.

Factory setting is 10 deg BTDC and I have found it runs well with upto 15 deg BTDC on premium gas.

Grumpy Old Man

Default Re: Brian Crower 7M cams and ignition timing issue

Interesting sounds like someone got the phasing on the Helical gear a little off during production.

Would like to hear from anyone else using these cams to see if this is just an isolated case.

If needs be you can pull the CPS apart and rephase the Reluctors to suit getting your full range of adjustment back again.

Supramania Regular

Quote Originally Posted by IJ.
    Interesting sounds like someone got the phasing on the Helical gear a little off during production.

Would like to hear from anyone else using these cams to see if this is just an isolated case.

If needs be you can pull the CPS apart and rephase the Reluctors to suit getting your full range of adjustment back again.
    No CPS on a NA. Check your timing gears at marks, #1 at TDC, rotor pointing at # 1 on the distributor, and the crank mark at "o". Sounds like something is still out.
    Make sure you adjust the timing belt right according to the TSRM.

Grumpy Old Man

AJ: It can still be rephased as the reluctors are just pressed onto the shaft the same as the CPS (I used to trigger a standalone using a modded NA Distributor)

Quote Originally Posted by AJ'S 88NA
    No CPS on a NA. Check your timing gears at marks, #1 at TDC, rotor pointing at # 1 on the distributor, and the crank mark at "o". Sounds like something is still out.
    Make sure you adjust the timing belt right according to the TSRM.
    Done this and double checked a few times now.

I also think the drive gear is out of phase.

I think of all these cams that have been sold nearly all are still sitting in boxes and have not been tried.

Supramania Regular

AJ: It can still be rephased as the reluctors are just pressed onto the shaft the same as the CPS (I used to trigger a standalone using a modded NA Distributor)
    O.K. I thought I had read that somewere, just that he didn't say he had done that.

Supramania Regular

Quote Originally Posted by amichie
    Done this and double checked a few times now.

I also think the drive gear is out of phase.

I think of all these cams that have been sold nearly all are still sitting in boxes and have not been tried.
    It seems that if the drive gear was off it would have a hard time turning without causing some damage?
    I see alot of questions asked about these cams, but few responses? Maybe alot of them are still sitting in their boxes.

Am I missing something? This thread was moved from the General section, to the GTE section and he says it's a GE?
    Last edited by AJ'S 88NA; October 22nd, 2007 at 06:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AJ'S 88NA
    It seems that if the drive gear was off it would have a hard time turning without causing some damage?
    I see alot of questions asked about these cams, but few responses? Maybe alot of them are still sitting in their boxes.

Am I missing something? This thread was moved from the General section, to the GTE section and he says it's a GE?
    Yes it was moved by the moderator and yes it is a GE (non turbo)

Here is an update.

I filed out the slot a little and now I have enough static advance for general driving.

Idle is crap and it regularly stalls. I might have to tweak the cam timing a little as there must be too much overlap for steady idle.

I'm guessing that advancing the exhaust cam slightly might be the way to go since that will improve both the static ignition advance and reduce the overlap slightly.

Having fun anyway.

Grumpy Old Man

AJ: Phasing as in where a tooth on the Cam is in relation to the middle hole on the front of the Cam.

Move that a few degrees and you run out of travel in the Distributor/CPS adjustment slot before you get the correct ignition timing.

AJ: Phasing as in where a tooth on the Cam is in relation to the middle hole on the front of the Cam.

Move that a few degrees and you run out of travel in the Distributor/CPS adjustment slot before you get the correct ignition timing.

100% agreed.

Can I ask where in Aus you are roughly??