Powered by Team Mondor
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 7M assembly tips.

87t Hardtop

Default Re: 7M assembly tips.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    I'd remove them, especially if they've been thermal coated. Odds are the coating shop blasted them with some form of abrasive, which never gets thoroughly cleaned out unless you remove the baffles. Take a hammer and chisel and knock the rivets off, then drill and tap for 6mm x 1.0 fasteners. I use stainless steel socket head bolts with washers and red loctite. Just a little junk on top of those baffles could chew up a whole motor. It's also an excuse to drill and tap for bigger breather lines on the valve covers
    Russ Meeks of Finishline Coatings, who did the thermal dispersant coating, used paint removal gel and a heat gun to get the stock finish off, to get the surface he needed, for the coating. Van
    Last edited by Van; December 11th, 2009 at 09:42 PM.

87t Hardtop

Cool Re: 7M assembly tips.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    I'd remove them, especially if they've been thermal coated. Odds are the coating shop blasted them with some form of abrasive, which never gets thoroughly cleaned out unless you remove the baffles. Take a hammer and chisel and knock the rivets off, then drill and tap for 6mm x 1.0 fasteners. I use stainless steel socket head bolts with washers and red loctite. Just a little junk on top of those baffles could chew up a whole motor. It's also an excuse to drill and tap for bigger breather lines on the valve covers
    I went ahead and had the baffles removed, and they had a lot of carbonized oil on them. Glad I listened and followed your suggestion! Van

Seeking high numbers
    Greenville, North Carolina, United States

i have a few questions. i just got my motor back from the machine shop but i intend to re-torque and re-seal a few areas. my first question is, does anyone know what the torque spec on ARP main studs is? second question,i have a titan/cometic MHG which seems to be just metal(no coating), should i use copper spray or something or just put it on there bare? i also need the torque spec for ARP rod bolts if anyone has them. i gave all my hardware and instructions to the engine builder but, since they had already done the work, i did not receive the paper with the torque specs when i picked up the motor. i do have the one that came with the head studs because they never installed them or the head. thanks in advance

1996 Toyota Taco DD
    Lowered, everything else is stock.

1988 MKIII Supra
    Current Mods(or lack there-of): K&N, BIC DDP, hollowed cat, cat back(cheap), short throw shifter, front upper strut bar, 89+JDM 3pc tails, fog lights rewired(2nd option ie:come on without parking lights), tint, no spare or jack, lex/660's, safc1, SX afpr, ARP Main studs, rodbolts, and head studs, nippon pistons and rings bored .020 over, balanced pistonand rod assembly, 7* CNC'ed head, 4 angle valve job, port and polish, 1.4mm MHG, Boss 60-1..B&G springs(installing next week)

don't taze me bro!

I'd like to add that Adjusters motor is still running and making 500+ to this day.. in a different car, but still runs like a boss

even though the new owners turbo is junk as smokes like a bitch. +1!
    Creator of Power, Destroyer of the Average.

89 JZA70 The Silver Bullet << click me! 2JZ-gte Swapped Billet 7175 ,ID2000's, Twin Disk ORC, JE Pistons, Eagle Rods, CF driveshaft, Volks TE37's, Chasebays Engine Harness, Stance GR+, More..
    Check Out Our Facebook Page.. www.facebook.com/TruePerformance