Powered by Team Mondor
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 7M assembly tips.

i wasnt speeding officer

Default Re: 7M assembly tips.

Great info there Adjuster.Im definately visiting a gun/ammo store (if i can find one) for a gun bore rod cleaner.I did a search for "cleaning engine parts" and this thread popped up.Great read and love the pics.
    Just a quik Q.
    When you wash the parts (bearings,rods,caps,block) what cleaning agent do you use? Kerosine,petrol,diesel,methylated spirits,acetone?
    I have got some JE's and read in a magazine doing a ej20 (wrx 2.0L turbo) rebuild they just rubbed the edges (piston crowns,bottom of skirt) of the AVO forged pistons with some very fine wet/dry paper to take the edge off.
    Is this common as ive never heard of it except in that article.
    No more supra... Hello MX73 and MX83.
    MX73 with 7mgt,A340e, hiflo turbo. Yeah she's a std cressida with the heart of a supra. Give's the wrx's a good scare. Running 6psi

Administrator

I used carb cleaner for the first cleaning and acetone for the final level of clean on my build.

Supramania Regular

I used the shop sovlent tank and a few cans of carb or brake cleaner and rags to clean up anything that was dirty prior to assembly. (The engine was cleaned in a sonic tank, and also washing machine too. It was also hot tanked, and therefore had all freeze plugs and oil pump drive bearings replaced along the way.)

I don't like to slide the gasket into place, and then slide the head into place, and then try and get the washers into place... you'll find you have to pull some studs at that point to get the washers into place... so why put the studs in first?

All of the threaded stud holes should be chased out when you rebuild the motor. (Forgot to mention that I suppose, but use a chase if you have one, and be very careful if you use taps, but clean out every one after the machine work is done. This removes, or de-burrs all the sharp edges of the cut threads, so the bolts/studs go right in easy.)

I suppose putting them in dry is fine. Either way should result in good results.

On the subject of spraying metal head gaskets, I DO NOT reccomend spraying anything on a coated metal gasket. The solvents in the spray on coating will cause problems with the coating on the brand new metal head gasket, and that could cause a failure of that coating.

However, on a used, or cleaned up metal head gasket, the brake quiet is a proven coating to help it seal up with no issues of leaking coolant, or oil.

The combustion chamber seal is created by the beaded area on the gasket, and it's why a very fine RA is needed. Large scratches in the head or block will be places for high pressure gas to escape, causing a leak in compression, or worse, a point where coolant or oil could be drawn into the engine, or forced out by the pressure. (Blown head gasket.)

The brake quiet helps to seal up these very fine scratches, and keeps the coolant and oil where they belong.

Established 1994

How good is sonic cleaning? The machine shop we used at work hot tanked. And for the record, they never put out a bad product as far as I know. In other words, I trust them very much, as did our shop foreman.
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

www.thereligionofpeace.com <------- stay in the know, religion drives political beliefs

Supramania Regular

Hot tank work is fine. It just destroys the soft metals in your block.

The sonic tank is hot too, but not as hot, and they don't use acids. It uses sound to vibrate the crap loose on your engine, and it's amazing how well it cleans up parts with minimal damage to anything.

Cleaning up heads and valve train parts with the sonic cleaner is awesome.

Slow Boost

I just got my engine back from Napa, and I guess I should have read this thread first. I didn't have my engine decked with the plate bolted on. I also believe they hottanked the block, but I didn't replace the softplugs, or oil pump shaft bearings. I've got myself all worried now. The engine is still on the engine stand, apart and all. Where can I get the drive bearings? I'm assuming they are a Toyota only part. As for softplugs....I wasn't going to change them...but now I'm thinking maybe I should. Damn it.
    J. Marbs
    2003 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport
    1987 Chrysler Conquest TSi - Totalled
    1989 Toyota Supra Turbo - For Sale
    1995 Dodge Neon NYG ACR Coupe

Its pronounced Nu-clear..

Wear nitrile or rubber gloves during assembly to keep from putting fingerprints on bearing metal, and it also helps with keeping things clean, I cannot stress how improtant it is to keep things clean during assembly. Never trust your machine shop, always reclean everything. I have caught the machine shop not decking the block with the front plate on, I had to ask them to get a straight edge out before they would admit it. Don't be afraid to double check their work.

Lurker

Hey Boys and Girls, just an FYI, plastigage, is well Crap....DONT use it if you dont have to. from my experience, its never accurate enough for what im building....if you have it on a bench Get your self a set of Outside mics, and do the math, of "phone a friend" who can show you how to read one, but ANYTHING can make plastigage read funny, its best not to use it IMHO.
    Nick

ROOTS RADICALS

Wow ^^

1UZFE SWAP DUDE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by new88sup4me View Post
    Hey Boys and Girls, just an FYI, plastigage, is well Crap....DONT use it if you dont have to. from my experience, its never accurate enough for what im building....if you have it on a bench Get your self a set of Outside mics, and do the math, of "phone a friend" who can show you how to read one, but ANYTHING can make plastigage read funny, its best not to use it IMHO.
    Nick
    I personally don't like plastiguages either but...
    if you're going to go that far use the right tool.
    a dial bore guage.
    Using an I.D. Mic is a joke.