Powered by Team Mondor
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Antisurge/Ported Shrouds

Banned

Default Antisurge/Ported Shrouds

In order to understand how an 'anti-surge' compressor housing works (which is technically a 'ported shroud'), you need understand what surge is, in the first place.

Surge: The 'Surge Line' is the leftmost boundary of a compressor map. This is where flow instability occurs - This is where the compressor wheel is spinning at a high enough speed to force more air than the engine can injest. On initial thought, one might think this would just give you more pressure in the intake - and this is true, as long as you are on the compressor map. Basically, the surge line is the MINIMUM airflow needed to keep the pressure from backing up, and causing reverse flow pressure waves - these are INCREDIBLY damaging to the turbocharger!

Follow that thought a little further - when are you constantly seeing high flow of air, but little entering the intake? That's right, when you get off the throttle from boosting. This surging is what a BOV protects the turbo from. You also see this, if you have attempt to spin a compressor wheel such that it is forcing more air into the intake than the engine can take - or attempting to get more boost per rpm of the compressor wheel, than it is designed for.

That said, the ported shroud allows the surge line to be moved further left - this is because the compressor housing allows some of the air that starts to get backed up in the intake, to flow back out the housing.

Here's a pic from Garrett:

Default Re: Antisurge/Ported Shrouds

I know im bringing this back from the dead, but at what point anti surge port be used?
    reason im asking is that my turbo has an anti surge compressor housing, but i chose to leave the port closed for the time being.
    thanks
    -pete

Modifications: CT467 DBB Boss Comp Series Turbo (P-trim), CP Forged Pistons (.040 over), Eagle Rods, Titan 2.0mm MHG, Cooleeze Hardpipes, Bigger Spearco Replica, Ceramic coated Intake and Exhaust manifolds, ATI super damper, Titan Cam Gears, Lipp Elbow, RT 3" Downpipe, HKS Sport Exhaust, RC 550cc injectors, Walboro pump, Aeromotive AFPR, Maftpro (w/ Speed Density, Wideband tracking, and boost control), Full Flow Oiling System (w/ B&M cooler, prosport sandwich plate and gauges, mogal thermo, and dual reloc with a trasko bypass filter), DM 6 puck Stage 4 Clutch, Shaftmasters one-piece Aluminum DS, Custom 3in Aluminum Radiator, Tokico Struts and Eibach Springs, Suspension Techniques front and rear swaybars, A1 adjustable endlinks, SS brake lines, Poly mounts (motor, transmission, and torque damper)

My Build Thread

Banned

If you have it, use it - that's my thought on it

Administrator

I'm not sure I understand. Doesn't this increase the time it takes to build boost?

Banned

I've never definitively found an answer to that question, Grim. I see no reason why it would, though.

Grumpy Old Man

All reports I read before buying my 04z was it does add to spool time, I specced mine with a normal Comp cover and it surged like a bitch at low throttle opening/closing as the BoV springs were too heavy to allow them to respond fast enough.

Banned

Ian, did you ever run it with a ported afterword? I've always 'heard' that it adds to spool time, but I've never seen it verified, anywhere.

Administrator

Seems logical to me. It's essentially adding a 'leak' to the pressurized portion of the intake tract, right?

I play with fire

Ported shroud is to stop this: http://videos.streetfire.net/video/T...sor_163406.htm

True compressor surge has nothing to do with a BOV...
    2015 Subaru BRZ Series.Blue, Valenti tails, Michellin Pilot Super Sports, E85 tune

>>TomTom Custom Supra Icon<<

[Quin] 6:00 pm: fuck you
    [Quin] 6:00 pm: assholes
    [Canuckrz] 6:01 pm: fuck you and every mall santa that looks like you Quin
    [Quin] 6:01 pm: lol pwnt
    Aliens Cause Global Warming: A Caltech Lecture by Michael Crichton

Free Toyota Autotech Literature

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GrimJack View Post
    Seems logical to me. It's essentially adding a 'leak' to the pressurized portion of the intake tract, right?
    Watch Poodles' video - that's what real compressor surge is - when you are attempting to flow LESS air than the compressor is capable of delivering.

The ported shroud allows that airflow to circle back into the tract, preventing surge.