Powered by Team Mondor
Page 1 of 46 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Tookwik's 7M-GTE COP ignition mod w/ stock electronics...pics and writeup

Red T-shirt

Default Tookwik's 7M-GTE COP ignition mod w/ stock electronics...pics and writeup

OK fellas, I know not everyone cares about modifying things like this just for asthetics. If I had to pick a side, I would be with the function group rather than the form......but I'm not the guy that thinks you have to pick one or the other.

I've been wanting to figure this out for quite some time. Last year, I was planning to make it happen with 1JZ or 2JZ coils. After alot of searching , I found that BigAaron was already in the process and it wasn't working with the factory ignitor. He finally beat the system and made it work, but it took 2 ignitors, and a circuit board that Aaron designed for it. I believe it was just more complication than it was worth, and he came up with a mod to move the coils under the intake.....which is great, but not for me with the RonR short runner. I was bummed and didn't give it much thought for a while since it just didn't seem like it would work with our waste fire setup without a stand alone.

Then one day, about a month ago, it hit me while I was doing a tune up on a 97 Tercel of all cars. Toyota made several cars in the late 90's and up with COP and a waste fire. So I started trying coils from everything I could find.....Camry, Avalon, 4runner, Tercel, so on. Everthing was too tall, they all have spark plug tubes. I posted a want ad for some 1J or 2J coils, thinking i could use the shorter tubes on the waste fire coils. In the meantime, while searching the web, I found that the Lexus 2J's had a waste fire C.O.P. that was short. Come to find out one model of Supra has it also, the 98 N/A with vvti. BINGO!!

I picked up a set of low mile used coils off ebay from an IS300 and ordered a set of new wires from the 98 Supra N/A through work.

Here is what the IS300 coil looks like...

Here is a pic of them in the head without wiring...I will make some 6mm studs for them to bolt down. I will drill just a little bit into the oil galley plug, enough to catch a thread or two and epoxy them in, or maybe find a better way with a small bracket. They don't need much to hold them down as they sit pretty nicely in place as it is.

I made a new harness for these, I got anal as usual and resoldered the pins at the connector, and replaced the connectors on the coil end. It's a fairly simple but time consuming process.

Here's all the parts neccesary to make it happen, pretty simple mod now that we know what we're looking for!!

I drove the car about 10 miles, achieving 20psi and over 6,000 RPM's with no breakup. I won't be driving the car much in the next couple months as I'm tearing it down for body work. If any of you tech experts see a reason why it wont last or might fail in time, please speak up. Primary coil specs on ours and these are pretty much equal. I browsed IS300.net and found members are running turbo cars up to high 20's boost and 550-650 HP on the factory IS300 coils. Since I've already crossed the 600 flywheel HP mark, I will probably run an HKS DLI and try finding some high performance wires for these....which I haven't found yet, if anyone knows of some...please speak up.

Here is a quick vid of the Red Rocket running on the setup...

Finally, the bling.....I will polish this cover I made for mine now that I know the setup works!

Ignition System.....what....where

EDIT.....I am adding pics of coils installed with the brackets, I shaved a little off the coil that sits on #6, so it sits in nice and straight, the one on the left I trimmed and thats the bracket...it bolts into the threaded hole on the rear plug in the head.

Here it is installed....

This is the bracket for the other 2, they sit on top of #2&3 plugs. The plug in the head between them is not threaded, so I took the rear one from a spare head.

Here they are installed....

And this is the complete setup installed waiting for the cover to be completed....
    Last edited by tookwik4u89; August 28th, 2007 at 07:53 PM.
    Mechanical Performance Learnings of Internet for Make Benefit Glorious Model of Supra!
    My Build thread....part II
    My build thread
    My dyno video

Default Re: Tookwik's 7M C.O.P. ignition mod w/ stock electronics...pics and writeup

Nice going 2quick Looks like you have your answer already... The car isn't breaking up at all right? and at high boost etc? Can you log timing? See if it actually has any breaks in the curves. again, it sounds like it is already working for you though.

Nice install

Duane

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers

Default Re: Tookwik's 7M C.O.P. ignition mod w/ stock electronics...pics and writeup

That is awesome! Pm me... we need to talk. :-)
    "Performance is nothing without elegance and elegance is nothing without precision."

Im here, but the business is gone.

HOLSET Supra Mafia

Destroyer of Turbos

yea you need to talk to him...john if this starts to be carried i know what i want to spend my gift certif on

ps. you get your index.htm situation figured out?

Supramania Regular

I got pm already Very nice! I like it a lot, it gets rid of the coilpack and doesn't require additional electronics. +1 to you!
    Last edited by bigaaron; March 4th, 2007 at 01:37 PM.

Consistently Awesome, Since 2005. It's Our Full Time Job.
    View/Upload Customer Car Pics: www.photobucket.com/driftmotion

Representing T.O

that is one sweet setup bro.
    So just to get this straight, because i'm not too familiar with this approach.
    You put the coils on 3 of the sparkplugs, then the sparkplug wires off each coil goes into the remaining 3 sparkplugs?

Red T-shirt

Quote Originally Posted by spoolint78
    that is one sweet setup bro.
    So just to get this straight, because i'm not too familiar with this approach.
    You put the coils on 3 of the sparkplugs, then the sparkplug wires off each coil goes into the remaining 3 sparkplugs?
    Exactly....you just have to make a longer harness, and find a way to secure the new coilpacks.
    Mechanical Performance Learnings of Internet for Make Benefit Glorious Model of Supra!
    My build thread
    My dyno video

Representing T.O

you da man!
    that is a great alternative, i must say.
    Thanks for sharing

Speakers?

First off, I just want to say that's great you finally did something about that damn coil pack. I LOVE your engine bay and have always hoped that you were going to do something with that big old thing soon!

I read a little fast, but I didn't see how much you spent on everything? Did I miss it or did you not post.

Red T-shirt

Quote Originally Posted by Justin
    First off, I just want to say that's great you finally did something about that damn coil pack. I LOVE your engine bay and have always hoped that you were going to do something with that big old thing soon!

I read a little fast, but I didn't see how much you spent on everything? Did I miss it or did you not post.
    LMAO....thanks! I have a new p/s res too, thats the next eyesore to go.

I'm going to get some prices on parts tomorrow, if you buy new coils, that will be the expensive part, if we can source a supply of good used ones, that helps. I will offer a do it yourself kit, maybe harness. I'm giving info to Aaron for those that want it made up for you. Maybe Aaron or Jon can come up with a sweet cover. I made mine by hand and for the time I spend on it, you wont want to pay me. Need someone to take my idea to cad, pump out some covers and give me a nice shiny aluminum one the one I made is stainless.

I'd like to see a couple people run around with the setup and rack some miles on it to make sure it holds out, but I cant really see why it won't. Just dont wanna go crazy selling stuff and find problems.
    My build thread
    My dyno video