Powered by Team Mondor
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Auto Trans Oil Change Made Easy, MKiii

Default Re: Auto Trans Oil Change Made Easy, MKiii

The dealer uses a flush machine, as do most shops. Just be sure to get enough new fluid, as the total capacity of the transmission oil will be exchanged - usually about 12 quarts. Also be sure to check fluid level when completed.
    B
    Last edited by shmuggums90; September 3rd, 2005 at 09:35 AM. Reason: sp

Mr. Evergreen

the problem is checkign the fluid, the dipstick is FREAKING USELESS all it says is if theres fluid in there. if its not warmed up as in driven arround about 16 miles its not going to be accurate, if you drive more than that and it gets hot it shows an inproper reading. if its been in park for a while it will show one reading then you put it in drive and back into park and you get another reading.

how do we KNOW if the fluid level is actually at the precise point where it needs to be without worrying about overfilling.

btw. what happens if i DO overfill it? by like a quart?

OK, drive the car beforehand, up to operating temperature. Then confirm full fluid level. Then do fluid exchange process. Then reconfirm full fluid level. Also, if you can measure how much fluid comes out, then you will know it will be the same level if you use the same amount of new fluid as you drained. Hope this helps.

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'

Overfilling the transmission fluid will cause a mess of leaks... and about (i forgot if it was 77$ or 177$) for a transmission shop to fix it.

Toyota auto trans have a screen and not a filter. the screen will catch chunks. but will not clog like the old gauze type elements. there is no recommendation from toyota to change it. Toyota suggests drain and refill the trans at each oil change. or every 20k or so go to your lube shop and have them do a auto trans flush. Ours includes a chemical flush, run for 10-15 min. then completely flushes the trans (torque converter, cooler, cooler lines) and then a sealer and conditioner is added to help keep seals and "o" rings soft, all for about $100.00

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Filtration

Just a clarification on this...before you do this, you should drain/drop the tranny pan and replace the filter. Check the magnets at the bottom of the pan for metal. Refer to the TSRM for details. You will need Toyota FIPG to reseal the tranny pan...I have also used Permatex "The Right Stuff" with success. Once everything is sealed back up, I add 3 quarts of ATF to the pan before firing the motor up to push the rest of the old ATF out. Any good Dex III is good...I like the Castrol Import Car version.

The A340E holds 7.6 qts from a dry fill. When I flush using this technique, I usually end up using 8-9 qts...basically I watch the ATF flowing into the drain pan until it starts coming out nice and red. I go 1 more quart and stop. You DO NOT want to overfill...check to be sure the ATF is at the lower "cold" fill notch on the dipstick. Run the car for a few days and check hot per the TRSM (it's a very specific way to check)...this will work any air out and give you an accurate fill.

The tranny output to the cooler is the forward hard line fitting; rear is the return to the pan. The drivers side on the stock radiator cooler should be attached to the return. Dropping this hose (the return) to a drain pan will also flush out the tranny cooler. If you use the return to fill at the same time by putting a hose in a gallon bottle of ATF, you lose some control...it will be easy to over fill and you will need to see how much fluid is left so you don't run out. Personally, I use the tranny funnel in the dipstick tube technique and add fluid a quart at a time as required.

This technique is not really a flush per say, what it does is completely replace the fluid.

This is also a great time to add an external filter. All you have to do is route the tranny output line to a std oil filter head, then back to the cooler. Use the same Wix filter as for oil or go with a Trasko bypass filter. Change the filter every 10,000 miles and you will keep the ATF nice and clean.
    I will no longer respond to tech questions via PM. If you have a question, put it on the forum so everyone benefits from the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Supracentral
    However I still stand by my statement that 99 times out of 100, the weak link in the MKIII is the owner.
    Quote Originally Posted by jetjock
    I swear, it's like talking to an amoeba...

Want to know about oil...read this:
    Motor Oil 101 - Dr AE Haas

"Life is like a jar of Jalapeno Peppers
    What you do today, might Burn Your Ass Tomorrow"