Powered by Team Mondor
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Auto Trans Oil Change Made Easy, MKiii

  1. #1
    Love My Daily Driver !
    mrnickleye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Mojave Desert, Ca
    Posts
    825

    Default Auto Trans Oil Change Made Easy, MKiii

    Get a gallon of Dextron III ATF (or synthetic if you choose).

    Have a friend with you.

    Have an old towel handy for drips, etc.

    Have a trans funnel ready. (make sure it will fit the dipstick tube)

    Have an old gallon bottle handy to put old oil into.

    Jack car up a bit on drivers side, use a jackstand for safety. Or, drive up on ramps. Or, park car with driver's side wheels up on curb to get that side high enough for you to slide under.

    Slide under car and remove tranny cooling line (rubber hose) from radiator at the driver's side. Use whatever screwdriver/tool as needed. Pliers will help get the hose off by gripping lighly and twisting at the fitting.

    Place the hose down into the empty gallon bottle and hold it there.

    Have a friend start the car in 'park or neutral' (hand brake set) and let the motor run,pumping oil into bottle, until the oil starts spitting air and oil in the bottle (approx. 30 seconds). Turn off engine. (This short run will NOT hurt the tranny)

    About 3 qts. comes out. (check amount so you can refill correctly)

    Replace hose to radiator as was original. (New clamp needed?)

    Lower car back down.

    Add new oil via funnel, approx. the amount that was removed. Don't over fill.

    Start engine, shift thru the gears once with foot brake on, then check level as usual in 'park' position. Top up as needed.

    You have now 'Diluted' your oil with new oil. Do this every 3-6 months and you will always have clean, nearly new oil. The tranny will last much longer now.

  2. #2
    .

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Lexington
    Posts
    11

    Default Re: Auto Trans Oil Change Made Easy, MKiii

    Um - seems like you may be missing the easy part:

    Buy at least three gallons (tranny holds around 12 quarts).

    Remove "out" hose from tranny at radiator, place hose with extension in "drain" bucket.

    Remove "in" hose to tranny at radiator, place hose with extension in "new" bucket.

    Then start and let run - helps to have dirty bucket lower than car and new bucket
    higher than car.

    Should be able to drain and refill at same time. Be sure to recheck hoses for leaks after reattachment, and double check level - should be same before and after as all fluid drained is replaced with new (and no mixing / diluting)!!!


  3. #3
    Mr. Evergreen
    americanjebus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    wa.
    Posts
    1,868

    Default Re: Auto Trans Oil Change Made Easy, MKiii

    or just use the drain plug underneath the tranny and let it pour into drain pan and fill it up with the amount in the users manual via the dipstick.

  4. #4
    Currahee!!
    rakkasan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Fort Campbell, KY
    Posts
    2,997

    Default Re: Auto Trans Oil Change Made Easy, MKiii

    Quote Originally Posted by americanjebus
    or just use the drain plug underneath the tranny and let it pour into drain pan and fill it up with the amount in the users manual via the dipstick.
    that fill only cycle in/out about 2-3 of the quarts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub
    I'm not being rude, I was not threatening you...I was being blunt, something that your parents and the system you grew up in has not prepared you for. Welcome to the real world Noob.

  5. #5
    Grumpy Old Man
    IJ.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    I come from a land down under
    Posts
    39,070

    Default Re: Auto Trans Oil Change Made Easy, MKiii

    Ignoring the 15+ year old 3/4 blocked filter in the pan......

  6. #6
    Love My Daily Driver !
    mrnickleye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Mojave Desert, Ca
    Posts
    825

    Default Re: Auto Trans Oil Change Made Easy, MKiii

    All of the previous methods "assume" that you have replaced the filter at some earlier point, and are now keeping the fluid 'diluted' with newer so that it will remain 'fresher', and thus doing this, you will not have to replace the filter again, and not have shift or leak troubles. (damn that was a long, but grammaricly correct, sentence)

    Also...I do not believe that "shmuggums90" 's (above) method works, as the fluid is 'pushed' thru the cooler, and not 'sucked' back in the return line.

  7. #7
    Grumpy Old Man
    IJ.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    I come from a land down under
    Posts
    39,070

    Default Re: Auto Trans Oil Change Made Easy, MKiii

    LOL I wasn't taking a shot at you MrNick!

    You should know better than most of us how many people actually have had a filter done in an auto trans!!

    People will read this thread and right away think "Ahhh cool I can do this instead of a trans service" possibly leaving a blocked filter in place until it's done damage.

  8. #8
    Love My Daily Driver !
    mrnickleye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Mojave Desert, Ca
    Posts
    825

    Default Re: Auto Trans Oil Change Made Easy, MKiii

    Quote Originally Posted by IJ.
    LOL I wasn't taking a shot at you MrNick!

    You should know better than most of us how many people actually have had a filter done in an auto trans!!

    People will read this thread and right away think "Ahhh cool I can do this instead of a trans service" possibly leaving a blocked filter in place until it's done damage.
    I didn't think that (shot) at all. I meant it to let 'the people' know that they better do it first. You're absolutely correct about the filter, as every day at the shop I talk to someone (with over 100K on the OD, that has never even thought about doing a trans service. Most people are aware enough to do an engine oil change around 3-6K, but as long as the car gets them where they're going, that's about all the maintenance they do.
    And no one thinks to service the power steering, or differiential. Hell, they don't even do brakes till they're squeeling and scraping.
    And this one, "Oh, that check engine light has been on for months, what is it ?".
    But hey, those folks provide me with a $$ living.

  9. #9
    .

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Lexington
    Posts
    11

    Talking Re: Auto Trans Oil Change Made Easy, MKiii

    Quote Originally Posted by mrnickleye
    All of the previous methods "assume" that you have replaced the filter at some earlier point, and are now keeping the fluid 'diluted' with newer so that it will remain 'fresher', and thus doing this, you will not have to replace the filter again, and not have shift or leak troubles. (damn that was a long, but grammaricly correct, sentence)

    Also...I do not believe that "shmuggums90" 's (above) method works, as the fluid is 'pushed' thru the cooler, and not 'sucked' back in the return line.

    The "filter" is a stainless steel screen, it does not absorb any contaminants.

    Pay attention to my wording in describing the method - drain bucket lower than car, fill bucket higher, etc..................

  10. #10
    Love My Daily Driver !
    mrnickleye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Mojave Desert, Ca
    Posts
    825

    Default Re: Auto Trans Oil Change Made Easy, MKiii

    Quote Originally Posted by shmuggums90
    The "filter" is a stainless steel screen, it does not absorb any contaminants.

    Pay attention to my wording in describing the method - drain bucket lower than car, fill bucket higher, etc..................
    Is that how they do it at the dealer ? Or do they use the flush machine??

    Cause next time I do mine at home (soon), I'm gonna try your method. I'll report back on what happens.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •