Powered by Team Mondor
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What to do- turbo seals shot, smokes on deceleration

Supramania Regular

Default Re: What to do- turbo seals shot, smokes on deceleration

Quote Originally Posted by Koenigturbo View Post
    Is there a way to do valve seals on the car,( which I doubt), but if anyone knows how please share,...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pj1fRNpWNMs

Same idea on a 7M. Remove the cams, stuff the cylinder full of rope, turn the engine over by hand until the rope is firmly pressed against the valves.
    Use a valve keeper removal tool (like the Lisle 36050 or toyotool, do not order the Lisle 36200 as it is to big) to remove the keepers.
    Remove retainer and spring. Remove the old valve stem seal (some people have success with needle nose, most do not. I ordered a pair of valve stem seal pliers for $20) and ensure no bits of rubber are left behind. Install the replacement valve seals, reinstall the spring/retainer and use the valve keeper tool of your choice to install the keepers.

This is all in theory right now. I will be doing mine this summer so I guess we shall see how well that all works out!
    Franco-

87 White Hard Top Turbo - Wrecked and parted out

86.5 Blue Hard Top NA - Summer Car

Rock'n Death with Spikes

I've done this several times...any more I just use compressed air in the spark plug hole and have had good luck...Love my toyotool!

Supramania Regular

Quote Originally Posted by supranaut View Post
    I've done this several times...any more I just use compressed air in the spark plug hole and have had good luck...Love my toyotool!
    Do you know which one you have? (VMT68 or the VMT2AZ?)
    I really wanted to go with the toyotool but had a hard time justifying double the cost for the one time I would use it haha
    Franco-

87 White Hard Top Turbo - Wrecked and parted out

86.5 Blue Hard Top NA - Summer Car

Rock'n Death with Spikes

I have 2 of them...one I use for the JZ/7m/1m and the other for smaller stuff. And for as cheap as the plier are, they are a must!

Supramania Regular

I have 2 of them...one I use for the JZ/7m/1m and the other for smaller stuff. And for as cheap as the plier are, they are a must!
    rent it o me,.."Gnuck,.. gnuck",.. nuck""!!

Grease Monkey

I have a SupraSport BOSS 60mm triple ball bearing bolt on turbo for sale, with water and oil lines etc. It just had the oil seals replaced in it as well. Will make 600hp easy, I was making 450 wheel at 14 psi, full spool by 4000 RPM. PM me.
    Torrid red '84 P-type, Black and Grey leather, Fully Restored

Built 7MGTE, AEM V1 EMS, R154, BOSS 60mm GT turbo, 2 1/2" IC and 3" exhaust, the works

ROH wheels, Coilovers, BBK, Konis, Addco bars etc. etc.

450 RWHP at 14psi, on 650CC injectors.

Supradope

My car was doing the exact same thing and it was the turbo, which had been rebuilt by Driftmotion and maybe had 2000 miles on it. Crazy amounts of shaft play. I bought the CX racing bolt on unit for $300. It's been fine so far. Only complaints was I had to take all my studs out of the old one, and then I had to clock the turbo. Figure if it lasts a year it's not a bad deal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rock'n Death with Spikes

Was the shaft play after the Driftmotion rebuild? I've heard bad things about their rebuilds. I need a stocker rebuilt and have no idea who to send it to...

My car blew blue smoke on start up. I did the rope trick and replaced the valve seals. 100% fixed the problem and now have zero smoke on start up. My car currently blows smoke when coming to a stop......I can see a trail of smoke go by. I am pretty certain it is my turbo seals which sounds like your issue as well.

I will be following this thread as I need to have my turbo rebuilt or buy a new one. I planed on going with DM until I saw some of the responses here.

Supradope

Was the shaft play after the Driftmotion rebuild? I've heard bad things about their rebuilds. I need a stocker rebuilt and have no idea who to send it to...
    Yes it was after the rebuild. When I got it it was fine, was an upgraded 57 trim. I've heard when you start changing wheel sizes is where they run into problems with properly balancing them. Was thinking of maybe finding a junker and sending it to them to get rebuild to stock size, but by the time I get one shipped to me then to them and then back again I would probably be at $1000. I can get three CX racing ones for that price and it only took a week to get it all the way up to the subarctic lol. Probably have a couple thousand miles on it, running in some pretty harsh weather up here, and it's fine. Had the accordion off the other day and it was still nice and tight with no shaft play

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk