Powered by Team Mondor
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steering Wheel and Interior Reupholster - What Options Would You Choose?

YotaMD.com author

Default Steering Wheel and Interior Reupholster - What Options Would You Choose?

Hey all, I need some opinions. I'm normally not one to care that my styling choices match the crowd, but this car will end up being a showcase of sorts, should my plans come to fruition. Stay tuned for that in a year or two.

Anyways, I'm having my 91 Metallic Blue Exterior car steering wheel redone by Redline Leather in the UK. They do good work and pricing is far more reasonable than anything I've been able to find stateside.

The wheel is the 4 spoke 91 wheel. The interior is currently blue cloth, but I plan on replacing or reupholstering nearly everything - carpet, seats, all trim pieces to a dark grey (shadow grey more or less) or black.

I plan on doing Alcantara with a slight thickness increase and thumb rests. Color for the Alcantara wheel will be black.

Here are my Questions:

1a. Steering wheel stitching: Keep stitching simple and black, or go with a contrasting color? Contrasting colors in my mind would be Grey, Red, or Blue to match the exterior.

1b. Steering Wheel Center Stripe: I've seen this on a lot of Porsches, BMWs and supercars. I think it's neat, but borders on "ricey" in a non-supercar. What are your thoughts? Would a subtle dark grey stripe on a black wheel look less "in your face" or is the stripe just a dumb idea? Is a red stripe at 12 o'clock hideous?

2. Interior bits: I'm getting new coverings now for the E-brake, Shifter and center console lid. I can't decide on stitching. Should I match with dark grey? Or contrast with a lighter grey, red or blue to match exterior? I'm constantly going back and forth.

3. Center Console: I think the quilted stitching pattern looks fantastic and plan on this for the center console and the door inserts. Does anybody here find that style offensive? I've heard a few peeps complain it's hideous, but perhaps that's a very small minority. Help me out. What do you think?

Again, the car will be a showcase of sorts, so I'm aiming for something "nicer than average", yet unoffensive.

What do you think?!

Default Re: Steering Wheel and Interior Reupholster - What Options Would You Choose?

Suprarx7nut

I guess it depends on what kind of "show" you plan on putting on.

Option 1: The subtle show of elegance of non-contrasting stitching and matching door inserts--as in the original Supra styling;

(This was done by Redline, BTW)

New Leather All Around.jpg

or

Option 2: The court jester freak show with harlequin quilt, contrasting piping and a laughable 12 o'clock sighting stripe on the steering wheel.

harlequin.jpg

It's completely up to you since I may be a little biased...

1989 MkIII 7M-GTE Original Owner

Default Re: Steering Wheel and Interior Reupholster - What Options Would You Choose?

I can't believe no one else has weighed in on this yet. I guess you'll just have to base your decision solely on my input! Cheers!

1989 MkIII 7M-GTE Original Owner

90T

Unless you can also dress up the fake stitching on the dash to match, I would not go for the colored stitching. I am also not a big fan of thumb holds and the like because it looks too aftermarket for my liking.

YotaMD.com author

Quote Originally Posted by Old Radar View Post
    I can't believe no one else has weighed in on this yet. I guess you'll just have to base your decision solely on my input! Cheers!
    It might just come down to that!

Quote Originally Posted by 3p141592654 View Post
    Unless you can also dress up the fake stitching on the dash to match, I would not go for the colored stitching. I am also not a big fan of thumb holds and the like because it looks too aftermarket for my liking.
    Ok, thanks. What about the alcantara material choice? Is that off-putting?

90T

alcantera is not something I would pick, mainly because its not really an OEM material. But its your choice, and going outside the box can be a good thing.

Supramania Regular

3p141592654, pretty interesting user name you have,..very cool.

naughty by nature

I love the door insert above. I'm thinking about having my interior redone also, but first I'm getting it tuned and painted. I don't mind the black leather with a color'd stitching. My new racing seats are a black leather with blue stitching and everyone that has seen them compliment the blue stitching. Either way, it's your car and you'll be the one driving it every day. I wouldn't let a trophy sway my vote. I'd rather it was comfortable and aesthetically appealing to me over a trophy getter. Good luck and keep us posted., Jay

FEAR A GOVERNMENT THAT FEARS YOUR GUN

http://www.break.com/index/one-of-th...-made-2218472#

YotaMD.com author

Quote Originally Posted by suprahero View Post
    I love the door insert above. I'm thinking about having my interior redone also, but first I'm getting it tuned and painted. I don't mind the black leather with a color'd stitching. My new racing seats are a black leather with blue stitching and everyone that has seen them compliment the blue stitching. Either way, it's your car and you'll be the one driving it every day. I wouldn't let a trophy sway my vote. I'd rather it was comfortable and aesthetically appealing to me over a trophy getter. Good luck and keep us posted., Jay
    Thanks Jay. Your interior has always stuck in my mind as one of the few that's been done "well", whether people agree with the details or not.

To be clear, my intent wouldn't be to win any shows or anything (although that'd be neat, I guess). It's more for the sake of appealing to potential buyers/clients. I don't need everyone to love it, but I want to avoid people having an averse reaction to it.

I'll post up an alcantara example I came across when I get back to my home PC. It demonstrates a lot of what I'm planning, albeit in the wrong color.