Powered by Team Mondor
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Car cranks but no start. Help! Trying to make SIV.

14 psi boost

Default Re: Car cranks but no start. Help! Trying to make SIV.

So today I rewired the CPS and wired in a new Weatherpak connector. Unfortunately, it didn't change my symptoms. Verified the car is getting fuel. Just must not be getting spark, at least consistently. I've tried a different Ignitor and different coil packs and those didn't change symptoms. Car cranks great, TACH bounces steadily. (Similar to what the EFI fuse is pulled). There are no codes stored. Light blinks rapidly.

How often to CPSs go? I'm at a loss right now as to what to try next. It doesn't even try to start or stumble just cranks. Has to be spark, what what's keeping it from sparking?
    1986.5 Engine:7m-gte: Full re-build, HKS head gasket, ARP hardware throughout, Walbro with 12V mod, 550 cc injectors, Lexus AFM, Aeromotive AFPR with J-Tube delete, Bored ct-26, 3" stainless exhaust, 2.5" intercooler pipes and Driftmotion FMIC, SAFCII, AEM Tru-Boost and UEGO wideband, Zeitronix for data-logging
    Transmission: ACT Stage 3 clutch, rebuilt R154 by Marlin Crawler
    Suspension: Tein Street Advance Coilovers with EDFC Active.

Supramania Regular

Did you do this page from the TSRM?
    http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Librar...aspx?S=IG&P=12

14 psi boost

Yah thanks for the help. I had ran it before. But just went and checked again. 13V across all connectors and 4ohm of resistance. All coils are specing out. I previously tested the igniter and it appeared to be within spec as well.

So that's why I'm assuming it has to be CPS, but the wires are good now... So failure of the unit itself???
    Last edited by teedoff00; October 4th, 2017 at 05:02 PM.
    1986.5 Engine:7m-gte: Full re-build, HKS head gasket, ARP hardware throughout, Walbro with 12V mod, 550 cc injectors, Lexus AFM, Aeromotive AFPR with J-Tube delete, Bored ct-26, 3" stainless exhaust, 2.5" intercooler pipes and Driftmotion FMIC, SAFCII, AEM Tru-Boost and UEGO wideband, Zeitronix for data-logging

14 psi boost

So I just went out and spec'ed the CPS again. Resistance looked good. Air gaps were good on G1 and G2. But NE was at about .46mm. So .06mm over max. Would this cause a no start condition? It's outta spec, but should it still run?

Thanks for the help.

Supramania Regular

Is it possible that it is installed wrong after re-wiring it?
    You could also ohm it out from G1 to N and G2 to N and you should see a change in the reading when the lobe passes the coil when you spin it by hand.

14 psi boost

I didn't remove the CPS when I did the rewire just cut off the connectors, removed the bad section of wire from the harness. Put on the new connectors. I've checked a few times to make sure everything is lined up from harness to CPS.

When I line up TDC the CPS wheel appears to be in position according to TSRM installation instructions. Timing hasn't been messed with since it last ran.

I just regapped Ne to .250mm. Still no change... So as far as I can tell the CPS is good... man. What could it be?
    Last edited by teedoff00; October 4th, 2017 at 05:56 PM.

87T Supra

I had a bad CPS where one of the wires inside the unit shorted out through the heatshrink on that wire and touched the CPS housing which caused a no start condition. How are the condition of the wires inside your CPS unit?
    2004 Lexus GS300 - daily diver
    1987 Toyota Supra Turbo - burgundy exterior w/gray interior the summer driver.
    1987 Toyota Supra Turbo - parted put
    1987 Toyota Supra N/A - Sold

Some Pictures.
    http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81005

14 psi boost

I have yet to pull them all the way out, but the inside does look very clean and no areas appear worn. I guess it's worth pulling them out.

Supramania Regular

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Librar...aspx?S=IG&P=16
    Check that but also read them to ground. If anything reads to ground it is like plaaya69 says and won't start.

14 psi boost

Ok, so I pulled the harness out of the CPS and all the wires appear to be in fantastic shape. No cracking, all the stock shrouding is in place. The inside of my CPS is clean. I do believe my unit is newer (got it with my 7mgte motor back in 2006) it has a grey plug (89-92 I believe) and the harness side was green.

I also did a continuity to ground test and all wires passed.

Man, why can't I find a smoking gun. I dont know what else it could be... if CPS, Igniter, Coils, Wires, and Plugs are all good, and there is still no spark, what could be the culprit? I believe the ECU to be good because it ran find before removal and installation of AEM and then I took the AEM out (same symptoms with AEM, crank and no start) and put the stock ecu back in to no avail.