Powered by Team Mondor
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Car cranks but no start. Help! Trying to make SIV.

14 psi boost

Default Car cranks but no start. Help! Trying to make SIV.

Hey Guys,

Cliff Notes: Cranks but no start. Checked CPS via TSRM, all resistances 140-180, G1 and G2 pickups .2-.4mm. Ne at .46mm??? Would this cause a no start?, Igniter, checked via TSRM and swapped with another, Coil Packs good via TSRM, Spark Plugs, Fuses, Has fuel pressure and fuel in cylinders. No codes are stored. Details below.

So I've had a bad run the last few weeks with my new turbo not arriving on time and then my AEM tune not going well. I could use some help figuring out my issue.

So, I installed an AEM V2 with Driftmotion PnP harness a few weeks ago. All stock ECU wires remained the same, I just added a MAP sensor and IAT to the AEM harness and tapped the IGF for the TACH input. I started the car and drove it down my hill to put it on the trailer to take it to the tuner. It drove like it had a huge MAF leak but ran and started fairly easily.

I took it to get tuned at KaizenSpeed and after 6 hours of "attempting to tune and setup the AEM" they told me I have hardware issues and the car doesn't start and shows in the AEM software that it isn't getting spark. They get it running and then it would take 20-30 mins to get it started again...

I pushed the car back on the trailer and then I pulled all the AEM stuff out and put the car back to the stock piping, MAF and ECU in an attempt to figured out the issue, as I'm for familiar with the stock TCCS and TSRM.

So car cranks great, very similar to the EFI fuse being pulled. I have checked and tested a spare Igniter, Coil packs, Wires, New Spark Plugs, Fuses under the hood and drivers kick panel. Checked the CPS wires inside and the connectors. All seem good and test good.

I can't get the car to start. Fuel pressure is there according to my Aeromotive AFR guage.

What could it be? Any ideas, advice, help would be so appreciated!

Thanks!
    Last edited by teedoff00; October 4th, 2017 at 05:19 PM.
    1986.5 Engine:7m-gte: Full re-build, HKS head gasket, ARP hardware throughout, Walbro with 12V mod, 550 cc injectors, Lexus AFM, Aeromotive AFPR with J-Tube delete, Bored ct-26, 3" stainless exhaust, 2.5" intercooler pipes and Driftmotion FMIC, SAFCII, AEM Tru-Boost and UEGO wideband, Zeitronix for data-logging
    Transmission: ACT Stage 3 clutch, rebuilt R154 by Marlin Crawler
    Suspension: Tein Street Advance Coilovers with EDFC Active.

Far From Maddening Crowds

Default Re: Car cranks but no start. Help! Trying to make SIV.

Have you actually verified the spark plugs are firing?

Fuel / Spark / Compression

You are missing one.

Did they pull a log on the CPS when the AEM was still installed?
    Was it a clean signal?
    I rebuild / upgrade Supra Differentials - PM me for more information.

1 Piece Driveshaft Information
    Critical Speed Calculator

14 psi boost

It did spark from 2/5 from the plug while cranking. It did not from 1/6. After a few more iterations, it did spark briefly from 1/6. The oddity is that the car doesn't even stumble or try to start. It just cranks.

As to the AEM, uunfortunately I have no idea. I tried to get a play-by-play from them but wasn't getting much. I decided to abandon the AEM and go with something more familiar...

So far, that doesn't seem to be working.

What would cause the injectors not to fire if there is fuel pressure? I know I have fuel pressure
    Not 100% that the injectors are firing. But it does smell like it.
    1986.5 Engine:7m-gte: Full re-build, HKS head gasket, ARP hardware throughout, Walbro with 12V mod, 550 cc injectors, Lexus AFM, Aeromotive AFPR with J-Tube delete, Bored ct-26, 3" stainless exhaust, 2.5" intercooler pipes and Driftmotion FMIC, SAFCII, AEM Tru-Boost and UEGO wideband, Zeitronix for data-logging

It honestly sounds like bad CPS wiring from what you are describing. Especially after the heat soak 30 min problem you were having with the AEM.

14 psi boost

Yah, it really does seem like CPS. I did look over the wiring and it looks pretty good... hmm...

Far From Maddening Crowds

These CPS are very old. Just because it "looks ok" or has close resistance readings does not mean it is fully functional.

You actually have to take a scope to it and view the signal to see if its ok.

1st thing to try is to re-gap the coil pickups as close to the wheel as you can.
    Might be able to get it working at least for a little while.
    I rebuild / upgrade Supra Differentials - PM me for more information.

1 Piece Driveshaft Information
    Critical Speed Calculator

14 psi boost

Worth a shot.

Thanks for the tips Nick.

14 psi boost

So in reading and searching online. It seems that if the TACH bounces(mine does) while cranking the CPS is reading properly? Anyone confirm this? I am at SIV right now and am going to check the CPS per TSRM when I return. Just wanted to confirm the TACH bounce.

87T Supra

Quote Originally Posted by teedoff00 View Post
    So in reading and searching online. It seems that if the TACH bounces(mine does) while cranking the CPS is reading properly? Anyone confirm this? I am at SIV right now and am going to check the CPS per TSRM when I return. Just wanted to confirm the TACH bounce.
    Yes it does bounce while cranking. Also if you turn the key to the on position (not started) and look at the RPM gauge fast enough, you will see it jump a very small bit also.
    2004 Lexus GS300 - daily diver
    1987 Toyota Supra Turbo - burgundy exterior w/gray interior the summer driver.
    1987 Toyota Supra Turbo - parted put
    1987 Toyota Supra N/A - Sold

Some Pictures.
    http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81005

l33t M0derat0r (On some other forum) n00blet here however

Sucks that the car didn't make it I had the stock 60k mile mk3 because my 2jz mk3 couldn't make it. Figure out the problem last minute but no time to finish the car!
    87 T 2JZ-GTE
    91 T 60k Miles
    98 SC300