Powered by Team Mondor
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A1Cardone "Rebuilt" Steering Rack - A public service announcement.

Far From Maddening Crowds

Default Re: A1Cardone "Rebuilt" Steering Rack - A public service announcement.

Hah, yeah I had a similar issue here.
    My ABS master cylinder started leaking, luckily I was able to get a Centric one.

f00g00 - You can still get a overhaul kit for the booster from Toyota I believe.
    PN - 04443-14520
    I rebuild / upgrade Supra Differentials - PM me for more information.

1 Piece Driveshaft Information
    Critical Speed Calculator

Also Centric *might* have a rebuilt booster as well.
    Centric lists it as PN - 160.88684

Though I can't tell if they are truly in stock or not, can only find them on 3 sites.

https://www.carid.com/centric/power-...YaAtwzEALw_wcB
    https://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/19...e_booster.html
    http://www.brakes.com/centric-160-88684.html

Supramania Regular

Thanks for that info. The rebuilt one from Centric sounds like the way to go. The Toyota rebuild kit costs more than the rebuilt from Centric.

Sure thing.

Let me know if you do locate one.
    I will likely have to replace mine at some point as well, since that's one of the last remaining original parts now on mine.
    Its probably going to go out just to spite me.

Quote Originally Posted by GC89 View Post
    This is deja vu from the AutoZone rack I tried out. I didn't even bother pulling the boots after seeing the shitty spray paint job, bent lines and damaged input splines.
    Oh I must have lucked out!
    Mine did not have damaged input splines, lol.
    I swear everything they can possibly screw up on these rack rebuilds they do.

Supramania Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Piratetip View Post
    Sure thing.

Let me know if you do locate one.
    I will likely have to replace mine at some point as well, since that's one of the last remaining original parts now on mine.
    Its probably going to go out just to spite me.
    Amazon has two in stock but not on prime and the sellers won't use USPS so I would have to get it shipped twice to my APO address. Carid showed it is in stock so I ordered it from them. I will keep my core though, $30 since I can't send it back.
    Last edited by f00g00; September 25th, 2017 at 06:26 AM.

l33t M0derat0r (On some other forum) n00blet here however

wow, that's terrible. I'm so happy I bought a reman Toyota rack from Jay marks back in the day. I have my old one which is totally fine 70000 miles, still at home if you want. I took it out because I thought there was a leak, but it was my stupid pump.

The only problem was I could not get the control arms off because they were sized like a mother for. You'll need heat for sure.
    87 T 2JZ-GTE
    91 T 60k Miles
    98 SC300

Quote Originally Posted by Zazzn View Post
    The only problem was I could not get the control arms off because they were sized like a mother for. You'll need heat for sure.
    Its not worth the trouble to break the outer tie rods free from the inner, besides the rust will always be there.
    I just cut the outer tie rods off with a die grinder cutoff wheel and throw the outer and inner tie rods in the trash.
    New parts are almost always the better option.

Supramania Regular

There are a few rebuilders doing reman auto parts in the US and Canada. Cardone doesn't do them all, but I agree they are the worst still in operation. I forget which company it was that went under about 10 years ago but they were even worse. Sometimes they didn't rebuild things at all just repainted them. I got a few power steering pumps that were broken, but had nice paint jobs and a magnetic outlet line filter added and a sticker proclaiming the magnetic filter would make the pump last longer. Mmm.. ok.

Some of the rebuilders are doing ok work.

There's a place called Quality Remanufacturing, LLC that has been, so far, doing about 80% good work. Their racks are way better than Cardone from what I've seen. The local independent parts store sells their stuff.
    87' 1JZ W58 Holset HY35W

A1 actually responded to the extensive report I sent them, didn't expect that.

They responded in a typical method, said its not representative of the work they do and said a replacement would resolve the issues.
    From what others have experienced with A1, another rack would have been just as bad.
    Poor response from an extremely comprehensive report I sent them.
    They said they would have to inspect it on site to determine the cause...lol
    Maybe acknowledge the simplest issue - the fact there is zero packing material? ... Nope nothing.
    This is all par for the course for them.

Maybe I will send them the box of crap I have left over.

Good note on the re-builder destrux.

Hopefully this will give others many more options other than A1.
    They are terrible.