Powered by Team Mondor
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Matt's cylinder head rebuild - Finished

Lurker

Question Matt's cylinder head rebuild - Finished

As the title says I am getting ready to do a rebuild of the head in a couple of weeks. I have done a LOT of reading on this subject (thanks to this forum and others) and feel pretty confident that I will be able to complete it without much trouble. Since this will be the furthest I've dug into an engine bay I would like to make sure I haven't missed anything as far as the parts list goes. If you guys wouldn't mind taking a look at what I've ordered so far and make any suggestions, I would appreciate it. Here goes:

1987 Supra Base W/ Sport Package - 5spd manual - 7M-GE - 55,000 miles

1. Top end gasket set (will NOT be using the provided head gasket)
    2. OEM Toyota head gasket
    3. Water pump
    4. Thermostat
    5. Timing belt w/ tensioner
    6. ARP head studs
    7. M12 x 1.25 Thread Chaser
    8. M10 x 1.25 Helicoil Kit (for the exhaust studs)
    9. 10mm Hex Socket (long) for removing stock head bolts
    10. 14mm 12 Point Deep Socket for installing ARP studs
    11. Dino oil (not synthentic) for break in
    12. Toyota red coolant
    13. Spark plugs

Did I miss any parts? Are there any other SPECIAL tools I will need? (I have a torque wrench already)

I will be having a machine shop do the actual work on the head; I'm just removing and reinstalling. I am still debating if I should have them do a mild port 'n polish. From what I've gathered by searching it looks like I should NOT have them do the exhaust side; only the intake side. Can someone confirm this?

Thank you for your help.
    Last edited by slowerisfaster; February 26th, 2017 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Edited the title to be more current

87T Supra

Default Re: Preparing for cylinder head rebuild - Advice?

It looks like you have been doing your homework and have a great list of things. For removing the head, just need the basic tool set will do along with the sockets you listed and maybe a breaker bar for removing those original head bolts. The only thing I would add is NGK spark plug wires (and recommend NGK plugs too) and you will need some sealant for under the headgasket for where the lower rear timing cover and block meet.
    2004 Lexus GS300 - daily diver
    1987 Toyota Supra Turbo - burgundy exterior w/gray interior the summer driver.
    1987 Toyota Supra Turbo - parted put
    1987 Toyota Supra N/A - Sold

Some Pictures.
    http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81005

Lurker

Thanks. A normal tool set I have already. I didn't list it, but did plan on buying new plugs and I already have a tube of FIPG.

87T Supra

It sounds like you are ready to go then. Let us know how the job goes when you are done.

Also as for the port n polish, I would not spend the extra money if you are keeping everything original and I would only do that unless you plan on going turbo or plan on some higher HP.
    2004 Lexus GS300 - daily diver
    1987 Toyota Supra Turbo - burgundy exterior w/gray interior the summer driver.
    1987 Toyota Supra Turbo - parted put
    1987 Toyota Supra N/A - Sold

Some Pictures.
    http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81005

Lurker of Power

What's your plan for the exhaust? If you're going with a free-flowing one, like 2.5" mandrel-bent tubing with a low-resistance muffler & resonator, doing your own gasket matching of the intake parts can be worth your time. It's not hard with a small sanding drum and drill.

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
    What's your plan for the exhaust? If you're going with a free-flowing one, like 2.5" mandrel-bent tubing with a low-resistance muffler & resonator, doing your own gasket matching of the intake parts can be worth your time. It's not hard with a small sanding drum and drill.
    No plans for the exhaust right now. The head rebuild is eating up what little funding I have. I think I'm gonna skip the port n polish as there is still other things the car is going to need without worrying about a very minor increase in performance.

I started on the disassembly today, but didn't get too far as I spent much of the day re-organizing my sister's garage to fit the car in. That's one of the downsides of living in an apartment. I'm also taking it slow and labeling all the bolts/nuts, vacuum hoses, and wiring. I should have it all apart this Sunday and then Monday it is off to the machine shop.

While I was under the car I discovered I have an oil pan leak so it looks like my oil loss wasn't entirely the valve seal's fault. Guess I'll add it to the list...

Lurker

Hey everyone, I have another couple of questions. I was looking through the TSRM on doing the timing belt and it looks like I will need a puller to pull the crankshaft pulley. Is this something common I should be able to rent from Autozone or do I need the Toyota SST. Also, just in case my oil leak is not from the oil pan, but instead from the front main seal, does a top end gasket set usually come with this seal or do I need to get one? Thanks once again.

BTW, that oil pan looks like a PITA to fix a leak. I don't have an engine hoist so I guess I would have to remove the front crossmember. Ugggh.

Lurker of Power

I'd still consider a basic gasket match if you have the time.

While the front of your engine is apart, definitely change both front crank and oil pump seals. They're easy.

Sometimes the crank pulley comes off easily, sometimes it takes a puller. Any 2- or 3-arm puller that's big enough will work, as long as the radiator is out. You will want to break loose the front bolt with the trans in gear, parking brake on, and wheel chocks in place. It's way up at 195ft-lb.

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
    I'd still consider a basic gasket match if you have the time.

While the front of your engine is apart, definitely change both front crank and oil pump seals. They're easy.

Sometimes the crank pulley comes off easily, sometimes it takes a puller. Any 2- or 3-arm puller that's big enough will work, as long as the radiator is out. You will want to break loose the front bolt with the trans in gear, parking brake on, and wheel chocks in place. It's way up at 195ft-lb.
    Thanks for the tip on the pulley bolt. Made some more progress after work today. Getting closer. Upon doing a little searching it doesn't look like the oil seals come with the gasket kit. I will need to order them. Can someone please verify that these are the correct part numbers for the seals I will need? Part #9031152003 and Part #9008031022 (not sure about this one, but it looks like it is the correct replacement one for an older part number).

Also, upon closer inspection its hard to tell if the front main seal is the cause of the oil leak, or the oil pan "gasket". I will definitely replace the seals, but I'll leave the oil pan for now and see if the leak goes away. Besides, after looking at it, I know the TSRM says to remove the crossmember, but I have small enough hands to get to all the bolts I think. I looks like I might be able to pull the oil pan without removing the crossmember, unless I'm missing something else that would be in the way. Hopefully its the seal and I won't have to bother with the oil pan at all.

YotaMD.com author

Pulling the pan with the engine in the car is a huge PITA. I would buy a hoist off craigs well before I'd try to remove the crossmember or try to unbolt it in-situ. Getting a good seal on that pan is near impossible without free and clear access. I'd leave it alone or go buy a hoist.