Powered by Team Mondor

Thread: 87 NA wont start..tried it all...I think. Help

Lurker

Default 87 NA wont start..tried it all...I think. Help

So I purchased an 87 NA 5spd with supposedly BHG for $500. It's been sitting for 5 years here in Hawaii.

It had oil soaked plugs so I changed them and replaced the leaking 3rd valve cover gasket.
    Got the frozen starter to turn over and I'm getting spark at the plugs. Seems to be strong spark
    I have gas coming from the CS injector but none at the injectors...plugs still dry.
    Unplugged MAF and same scenario. No codes

PO said car was running, started to overheat and she just parked it thinking it was BHG. I don't no how it
    could have ran with the spark plugs so soaked in oil.

I have yet to check compression but it seems to be strong motor. Anything else I may try once i get it BACK!?!
    It got TOWED today for being ABANDONED !!! WTF !?! I HATE HAWAII at times !!! It had an alarm on it !!! It's
    a bucket but has Blitz Nur Spec and Tokico Blues and great interior. Only if I can get her running....

Thanks

B

Supramania Regular

Default Re: 87 NA wont start..tried it all...I think. Help

Check B+ on the check engine plug or follow this chart.
    http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Librar....aspx?S=IG&P=3
    The flapper on the AFM could be stuck which would stop the fuel pump from working too but the I don't think the cold start injector would have pressure.
    I won't even ask about impound fees in Hawaii!
    Last edited by f00g00; April 14th, 2016 at 07:43 AM.

Established 1994

Quote Originally Posted by $9ktt View Post
    Unplugged MAF and same scenario. No codes
    It won't start and the fuel pump won't activate with the air flow meter unplugged. And the 7MGTE and 7MGTE do not have a MAF meter.

PO said car was running, started to overheat and she just parked it thinking it was BHG.
    A liar is a possibility.
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

www.thereligionofpeace.com <------- stay in the know, religion drives political beliefs

creepy-ass cracka

^ If that were true her pants would have been on fire...
    In memory of Rimma Kiselitsa

Lurker of Power

Quote Originally Posted by Nick M View Post
    It won't start and the fuel pump won't activate with the air flow meter unplugged. And the 7MGTE and 7MGTE do not have a MAF meter.

A liar is a possibility.
    From experience, I know that an NA will start just fine with the air flow meter disconnected. However, it will not run. It will stall right after it starts.

creepy-ass cracka

^ That's correct and a look at the fuel pump schematic shows why. Airflow through the engine at cranking speed can not be enough to close the vane switch so Toyota built in a work-around.
    In memory of Rimma Kiselitsa

Addicted to boost...

Replace all of the applicable fuses. I ran into this yesterday. The fuses all looked good, but the car wouldn't start until I out new ones in. It costs $0.60 and isn't a bad idea, even if you don't need to.

Targa '88 7M-GTE w/R154

The bad engine is out and the good engine is in, many thanks to Shaeff. Still need to do some minor repairs, replace the entire suspension, and do a lot of clean-up, but she's running!

Quote Originally Posted by StrikeIS
    I'm not really driving my car I just kinda sit in it and pretend like vrooom vrooooom vroooooooooooooooom clank grind knock knock knock knock damn.

Lurker

So i found out why it wouldn't start. The oil pump gear was completely separated. Welded it back together, redid timing and it started right up. With ROD KNOCK. SMDH.
    Pistons 2 and 3 no move. Hahaha....oh well, part it out and make my 86.5 5spd like I wanted to do.

Established 1994

Quote Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
    From experience, I know that an NA will start just fine with the air flow meter disconnected. However, it will not run. It will stall right after it starts.
    STA....point being, don't unplug it.
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

www.thereligionofpeace.com <------- stay in the know, religion drives political beliefs