Powered by Team Mondor
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1986.5 No crank, no fuel

Default 1986.5 No crank, no fuel

Picked up a 1986.5 for really cheap last week, has been sitting for a while. It's rusty, and it's a real beater, but I'd like to try to drift it into a wall, if I can ever get it started.

First thing you should know is the ignition cylinder was seized, so the PO smashed it out with a hammer. The electrical ignition switch still seems to be in good condition, and the vehicle powers up normally when the switch is turned, but when turning to the Crank position, nothing happens, and the fuel pump doesn't run at any time. All of the fuses test good, but it looks like it had an aftermarket alarm system in it at one point, maybe even a remote start. There were wires and splices everywhere when I first got to it, most of it didn't go anywhere, and I was able to just pull it out, but there's obviously something I am missing here.

I'm attaching some photos of the stuff that I have questions about. I have no wiring diagrams or anything to go off of, so I'm at a loss for most stuff here. I'll be checking out the FSM here as soon as I can find a good link to it.

Right behind the accelerator pedal are these three open connectors, should there be something hooked up here? Should they be connected together in some way?

Found this lovely little hack-job right behind the ECM. The blue wire goes down the right side panel, and connects to what appears to be the other end of this wire that was cut.

However, there then appears to be another blue wire attached to this end, which goes up into the body harness, and I lose it past this point. Does anyone know what this Purple/Pink wire is meant to do? And why it would be feeding something else in the body harness?

This Red with Black stripe wire comes out of the firewall padding through the hole at the speedometer cable. It doesn't lead to anything right now, should it? I'm assuming it was probably the power for the aftermarket security thing.

Thank you in advance for any help!
    Too many cars is worse than too many girlfriends...

90T

Default Re: 1986.5 No crank, no fuel

Take a look at this. Its not for your year, but the basics are going to be same. You need to make sure that the blue-orange wire for the factory alarm starter relay is grounded.

The fuel pump only runs if air is moving through the engine.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Librar...x?S=Main&P=038

That is very helpful, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by 3p141592654 View Post
    The fuel pump only runs if air is moving through the engine.
    This is not something that I have ever heard of before... how does that system work??

creepy-ass cracka

There's a switch in your vane style AFM. Follow the dark green wire:

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Librar...px?S=Main&P=57

All "modern" EFI systems are required by regulation to prevent fuel flow after a collision. Of the many ways to accomplish that Toyota chose this one for the 7MGE.
    In memory of Rimma Kiselitsa

Quote Originally Posted by jetjock View Post
    There's a switch in your vane style AFM. Follow the dark green wire:

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Librar...px?S=Main&P=57

All "modern" EFI systems are required by regulation to prevent fuel flow after a collision. Of the many ways to accomplish that Toyota chose this one for the 7MGE.
    I'll look into this, thank you.

creepy-ass cracka

You be welcome. As the schematic shows the pump also runs during cranking because airflow through the AFM is low and may be insufficient to get things going. Once the engine fires and the key is released the AFM takes over.
    In memory of Rimma Kiselitsa

Lurker

did you ever figure out your problem? im having similiar problems..thanks in advance

Yes, it ended up being the AFM door thing, I didn't realize the pump would not activate without the door moving, and my intake boot was dry rotted, so cranking it over was not creating enough vacuum to pull the AFM door open, and engage the fuel pump.

Established 1994

Quote Originally Posted by Saavedro88 View Post
    Yes, it ended up being the AFM door thing, I didn't realize the pump would not activate without the door moving, and my intake boot was dry rotted, so cranking it over was not creating enough vacuum to pull the AFM door open, and engage the fuel pump.
    I thought you said in the title it didn't crank?

The electrical ignition switch still seems to be in good condition, and the vehicle powers up normally when the switch is turned, but when turning to the Crank position, nothing happens,
    At least you figured it out.
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

www.thereligionofpeace.com <------- stay in the know, religion drives political beliefs

Oh, lol, sorry about that, got a little ahead of myself.

You're correct, it would not crank, so I bypassed the Security relay in the right side footwell, this allowed it to crank right up, and after I got the intake boot replaced, the car started normally.