Powered by Team Mondor
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 7m bottom end capability.

Established 1994

Default Re: 7m bottom end capability.

Quote Originally Posted by 1-2clutch-u View Post
    id say pistons are the first to go by most peoples fails. Its .
    Well, you would be wrong. Pistons are lost due to severe detonation, and that assumes the combustion chamber has a nearly unbreakable seal. Something you don't want.
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

www.thereligionofpeace.com <------- stay in the know, religion drives political beliefs

Established 1994

Quote Originally Posted by MK3pizzadriver View Post
    ^ Keeping in mind that owners manuals are written with the interest of protecting against warranty claims.
    Some of you just shouldn't post.
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

www.thereligionofpeace.com <------- stay in the know, religion drives political beliefs

Supramania Regular

Do a compression and leak down test which will show any weakness's if any, to give you some peace of mind in regards to the health of your engine.

YotaMD.com author

If you're going to do the lex/550 mod you need some tuning if you want it to be reliable (stock bottom end or not). Don't worry so much about the internals - they've proven capable beyond your power goal. The key is tuning. A poor tune at stock boost levels (caused by a boost leak, removal of EGR system while still running US ECU, timing advanced too far, etc...) can kill a motor. A good tune can yield safe power nearly as high as you dare go.

You need tuning, that's my point.

As an aside: If you're goal is 400 whp I hope you plan on abusing it a little. What's the point if not? If you're going to build it up (which you should because these are a blast to drive when modified) you should plan on abusing it and plan on having to rebuild it at some point. Go in with the assumption that it's going to have some problems and it's going to require a lot of work. If you expect it to all go smoothly and make 400whp without any hiccups you're probably in for a painful mk3 owning experience. That's my 0.02.

Enjoy!

Supramania Regular

Im running a stock'ish bottom end with MHG and stock head. Standalone system with a T4 6262 turbo and 1000 cc injectors. 385-400 rwhp at the wheels at about 14 psi boost. The engine seems to handle this level well, but to go higher would be difficult for me as I only have 91 octane pump here and I am not really thrilled about running unleaded VP109 octane race fuel for how I drive.. lol.

The bottom line is (reality-wise) increase power = decreased reliability. On a stock ECU system, you will always run pig-rich and a CT26 is limited in it's flow. With a BPU setup (as you are talking about) as long as your bottom end is still solid, you shouldn't have any issues past the part where power reduces reliability.

Wideband, Exhaust gas temp gauge are the two first gauges I would get. The EGT gauge was a bit of an eye-opener for me because I never realised how the turbo actually performs better as the heat climbs, but long boost pulls can make the heat climb fairly high on my setup, so I limit my highway running speed now for long distance.

Remember that 400 rwhp is more like 500'ish at the crank.

LEADED FUEL ONLY

The lexus afm / 550 cc mod is essentially a scaled up version of the stock afm, and stock 440 injectors. The car will run *flawlessly* with the larger lexus afm housing and 550 injectors. It's a near perfect upgrade to allow more boost while still maintaining Toyota reliability. Absolutley zero tuning is required for this modification.

http://suprasonic.org/public_html/le...exusnotes.html
    alan jordan
    GT40R'd mk3
    terre haute, in