Powered by Team Mondor
Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Project: Git'R driving...a VERY short build

Supramania Regular

Default Project: Git'R driving...a VERY short build

Hey guys,

Some of you may have looked over my other build thread- "Project Get'R done", a build that is now going on 3+ years that covers every single part of the vehicle, for restoration and modification of my '88.

This won't be that.

I hope to finish that car by this fall, but in the meantime, I have been looking for another car as a daily driver. The more changes and upgrades that I did to my '88, the more I decided that I won't want to
    put it through the wear and tear of daily life, but rather, keep it as a weekend and show car. Also, I wanted a nearly stock DD to act as a counterpoint to this garage queen. A Yin to the Yang.
    So I came across this, a 1989 Supra turbo 5speed targa, thankfully, in the same color as my '88.

This car was purchased from a guy who was in the middle of a bhg rebuild, but hadn't completed it. The car has about 197,000 miles, no rust, minimal dings, and a redone interior.
    I was very pleased with the overall condition, but now I have to get to work on the motor. The HG was replaced, and the head itself was reworked and installed, but that's as far as the build got.
    Thankfully, the previous owner saved every single nut and bolt, and had purchased a PILE of parts, new from Toyota, including belts, hoses, gaskets, etc.
    But the pile of new stuff continued, to include:

Fluidyne radiator
    Flex-A-Lite 410 fans
    HKS Super dragger exhaust
    stainless T4 manifold
    Cusco rear strut bar
    OEM center armrest
    OEM shift boot
    Lexus AFM

Current motor status:

Some of this stuff will be used, but some I will sell off, as I'm not looking to make this car any more than a stock daily. As I said, I want one car to be mild, one to be wild.
    I will add a few pics of the interior as well, but for now, I have to get down there and start putting it back together.
    Last edited by supraguy@aol; August 23rd, 2017 at 02:06 PM.
    My Over-budget, Over-deadline build: http://www.supramania.com/forums/sho...-come!-Stage-1... It now runs!
    Project: Lexx- 1988 Targa 5spd.
    NA-GTE swap, Megan EZ Street coilovers, ST swaybars, custom endlinks, Energy Suspension bushings, 18x9/18x10 FR500's, ECU masters DET3, Denso direct-fit 680cc injectors on a brand new oem harness, Aeromotive Stealth pump, Driftmotion IC/ hardpipe setup, Kamainari whaletail, 3in. Magnaflow/Borla exhaust, chromoly flywheel, Spec 2+ clutch, aluminum driveshaft, Wiseco pistons, Cunningham rods, full flow oil cooling setup, Cometic 2mm HG, ATI super damper, ARP head, rod, main and flywheel fasteners, HKS style exhaust manifold, Precision 6266 CEA turbo, DG500 COP setup, Fluidyne radiator, GTmat sound deadening, new carpet. Coming soon: New leather, new sound, new paint.

My under budget, clean & slow build: http://www.supramania.com/forums/sho...RY-short-build
    Daily: Dora- 1989 Targa 5spd.
    7MGTE, mhg and ARP's, aluminum radiator freeflow DP, Apex'i intake, HKS Super Drager exhaust, 18" FR500's, Tanabe GF210 springs, ST swaybars, Illumina 2 TEMS shocks.
    Lexus afm, 560 injectors, Apexi Neo, wideband. Two-tone black/grey tweed interior, Pioneer Bluetooth/ Pandora/ Sirius/XM stereo. So much for keeping it stock.

Supramania Regular

Default Re: Project: Git'R driving...a VERY short build

Interesting note:

The previous owner purchased the car from a young woman. When he got it, the glovebox latch was broken in the locked position, and he had never been able to open it.
    After about 10 minutes of trying to pry the latch, I finally ended up just using a hacksaw blade to slice through the little metal latch bar that bolts to the dashboard.
    Found these, in nearly perfect shape:

Last edited by supraguy@aol; August 23rd, 2017 at 02:06 PM.
    My Over-budget, Over-deadline build: http://www.supramania.com/forums/sho...-come!-Stage-1... It now runs!
    NA-GTE swap, Megan EZ Street coilovers, ST swaybars, custom endlinks, Energy Suspension bushings, 18x9/18x10 FR500's, ECU masters DET3, Denso direct-fit 680cc injectors on a brand new oem harness, Aeromotive Stealth pump, Driftmotion IC/ hardpipe setup, Kamainari whaletail, 3in. Magnaflow/Borla exhaust, chromoly flywheel, Spec 2+ clutch, aluminum driveshaft, Wiseco pistons, Cunningham rods, full flow oil cooling setup, Cometic 2mm HG, ATI super damper, ARP head, rod, main and flywheel fasteners, HKS style exhaust manifold, Precision 6266 CEA turbo, DG500 COP setup, Fluidyne radiator, GTmat sound deadening, new carpet. Coming soon: New leather, new sound, new paint.

My under budget, clean & slow build: http://www.supramania.com/forums/sho...RY-short-build
    7MGTE, mhg and ARP's, aluminum radiator freeflow DP, Apex'i intake, HKS Super Drager exhaust, 18" FR500's, Tanabe GF210 springs, ST swaybars, Illumina 2 TEMS shocks.
    Lexus afm, 560 injectors, Apexi Neo, wideband. Two-tone black/grey tweed interior, Pioneer Bluetooth/ Pandora/ Sirius/XM stereo. So much for keeping it stock.

Supramania Regular

Ordered:
    Silicone hose kit
    new fan shroud
    Today I will work under the car, and install the braided brake lines and ST bars.

Supramania Regular

Nice find Diego

1J-THIS

Looks good, its getting hard to find these clean stockers for a fair price anymore.

The build- Centrailia or bust........Delilahs build.

Quote Originally Posted by ZFast300Z View Post
    Nitrous oxide is like a hot chick with an STD. You know you want to hit it but your afraid of the consequences
    You can Follow me @ryan.payne on Instagram

Supramania Regular

Agreed, Unless you're willing to pay crazy prices. I was getting ready to try and talk a guy DOWN to $6,000 from $7,000 on a '90 na.
    And that car had bad AC, leaking power steering, crack in the front bumper, and ruined drivers' side carpet!

Got this car for nearly 1/3 that asking price.
    Working on the front brakes today. So far, I've swapped in the Earl's front stainless lines, and painted the rusty calipers.
    Next I will install the front ST sway bar. I'll do the rear lines and bar on my next free day.

While waiting for the paint to dry, I swapped out the old shift boot for the new oem one:

Last edited by supraguy@aol; August 23rd, 2017 at 02:07 PM.

Supramania Regular

Also, I went ahead and replaced the armrest cover. The original is actually in really good shape, with just the barest hint of one seam pulling a bit.
    But I figured that I may as well go with the new one.

Last edited by supraguy@aol; August 23rd, 2017 at 02:08 PM.

Supramania Regular

Car looks awesome! Should compliment your other one nicely. Any more pics of the redone interior?

Supramania Regular

Sorry- Here's those pics:

Last edited by supraguy@aol; August 23rd, 2017 at 02:09 PM.

Supramania Regular

That does look really good. It's got a Recaro kinda vibe to it.