Powered by Team Mondor

Thread: Mobile One VS Extended Performance VS High Mileage

Formerly Nosechunks

Default Mobile One VS Extended Performance VS High Mileage

Can anyone shed some light on what the difference between these oils? For a performance turbo motor would any one be better then the other?

Reason i ask is, i went on Mobile One's website, and it recommended the regular Mobile One Synthetic, High Mileage and Extended Performance. Both the High Mileage and Extended Performance are rated higher under "Protect High Engine Temperatures". It also rates only the extended performance as providing "Provide exceptional start-up protection".

I am currently using the standard Mobile One oil but if i can be getting a better product for my application i will, Though i do realize i should take there "comparison
    with a large grain of salt.

Instagram: TurboStreetCar
    '89 Turbo Targa 2JZGE, BC272, 6466, ProEFI 128, Cobra BBK, E85, TH350. 737WHP/538WTQ@30PSI
    Best ET: 10.202! Best MPH: 135!
    My Build Thread
    1300HP Fuelab Fuel Pump For Sale

Established 1994

Default Re: Mobile One VS Extended Performance VS High Mileage

Mobil One doesn't like people to look behind the curtain. Good luck getting technical data from them. At least one site had an oil analysis done on their products to see what is up.

Other producers that have high mileage formulas do it by having less multi-viscosity oil. Meaning they have more 30 particles in place of 5 or the 10. I am simplifying so it makes sense. Those oils certainly have their place.
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

www.thereligionofpeace.com <------- stay in the know, religion drives political beliefs

Formerly Nosechunks

Yea I was hoping JDub might have some insight on what the difference might be and if any one of them has a benefit to a high heat performance engine.

Formerly Nosechunks

Little Bump, Paging JDub.

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Filtration

All 3 of the Mobil oils you listed are Grp III hydrocracked oils...not that they are bad oils, they do not meet the definition of a true (PAO or Ester) synthetic. If you are going to run a Grp III, I would choose Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra...both have better add packs than Mobil One...use 5W-30. You can use Mobil One with no issue though, any of the 3 you listed in a 5W-30. The only way to see which (Pennzoil or Mobil One) is best for your engine is to do oil analysis over several changes of the same oil.
    I will no longer respond to tech questions via PM. If you have a question, put it on the forum so everyone benefits from the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Supracentral
    However I still stand by my statement that 99 times out of 100, the weak link in the MKIII is the owner.
    Quote Originally Posted by jetjock
    I swear, it's like talking to an amoeba...

Want to know about oil...read this:
    Motor Oil 101 - Dr AE Haas

"Life is like a jar of Jalapeno Peppers
    What you do today, might Burn Your Ass Tomorrow"

Formerly Nosechunks

Thanks JDub!

Comparing the specs of Mobil1, Platinum and Ultra, IT looks like the penzoils have a better cold viscosity for my application then the Mobil. My oil pressure on a cold start is up around 100 on a 80-90 degree day. So i could stand to use a little less when cold. The hot Viscosity is just about the same. Its only off by about a half a point.

Im going to look into the Penzoils and see. The Mobil1 is just so readily available and cheap. I know its not the best option though.

Instagram: TurboStreetCar
    '89 Turbo Targa 2JZGE, BC272, 6466, ProEFI 128, Cobra BBK, E85, TH350. 737WHP/538WTQ@30PSI
    Best ET: 10.202! Best MPH: 135!
    My Build Thread
    1300HP Fuelab Fuel Pump For Sale

90T

Penz Plat and Ultra are available at Walmart in 5 qt jugs.