Powered by Team Mondor
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Chump Car 1989 Supra, #32

Default Re: My Chump Car 1989 Supra, #32

Used a mechanics stethoscope on the fuel injectors yesterday: all except #3 made a distinct tap-tap-tap. #3 made a very faint tap-tap overlaid with a whoosh-whoosh. It sounds very different, so today I will start on replacement.

1 hour job turned into 2 hour job when I forgot to hook up the 1/4" water line going to the bottom of the ICS valve, but finally: it works!!! Replacement of the #3 injector fixed the misfire & made it idle smoother. I can't wait to get it into the next race.

Beware of remanufactured injectors.

Definitely have to watch them I replaced some injectors on my grandpa's cadillac and 3 of the 8 were bad out of the box lol

I didn't do the engine assembly following the long block rebuild, but I did buy the remanufactured fuel injectors. They all tested normal then, but this one apparently started failing right after we did the engine break-in runs.

90T

Good deal. By the way, an injector balance test is quick and likely would have pinpointed this fast. Pull each injector clip one by one and check the idle drop. Need to be fast as the ECU will correct the idle speed back to spec. Can also be done by monitoring fuel rail pressure drop if you have the test gear.

Brakes:

We are still using the stock single piston calipers (NAPA remans), stock vented rotors (new NAPAs), stock master, ABS system, with Motul 660 RBF and Porterfield R4 racing pads. The system seems to work decently,with no rear end lockup, but it could stand some improvement as there is some ABS pulsing on heavy braking. Of course, CCWS changed the rules right after I stocked up on stock calipers.

Right now we are wearing out a set of front brake pads about every 14-18 hours and the rears are lasting 2-3 times as long. Front rotors are showing moderate wear and I am having them resurfaced every 2 races. So far the rear rotors look almost new after over 30 hours of racing.

Is heavy front and light rear wear normal on this car? Should I replace or clean the proportioning valve? Or just use a more aggressive rear pad? Should I look at adding some front brake cooling/ducting?

90T

Based on street driving its at least 2:1 longer wear on the rears.

You could look at using dual piston Previa calipers as they are a direct fit. Unclear if it would buy you anything though. I think you really need a bigger disk to make a difference.

previa
    caliper assy: 47730-28200
    pads 04491-28351 04665-28170

Thanks. Probably even more than 2:1 in racing, so it's probably "normal" for this car. I may take the proportioning valve out and make sure it's not full of gunk and try to route some cooling to the front brakes.

I made it back from Daytona, mostly in 1 piece. This was our 3rd race, and the 1st that we DNF.

Our transponder failed before start; had to rent one and zip-tie it in place; lost 3 laps.

Heat was our enemy. Oil temp was over 260F most of the day, except when it was raining. After about 4 hours, the clutch failed. Car stalled coming into pits and would not restart due to clutch interlock. With no P/S, I broke the weld on the steering wheel quick release. Once we got the car pushed to the garage, with a Vicegrip on the steering column, I found a bolt on the clutch pedal assembly had backed out and fallen into the floorboard, so I fixed that, then had to borrow a welder and fix the steering wheel. 30 laps lost.

Nobody wanted to drive the car with a suspect steering wheel, so I got in and did 30 minutes before the monsoon flooded the track. Nothing like going through the high bank at 125 mph at not being able to see anything due to the rooster-tails. Flat areas got flooded, cars were wrecking everywhere, so they red flagged it for a while.

The other drivers got their nuts back, and one hopped in when the red changed to yellow, then green. We did a few more hours (car ran good and was competitive when it wasn't broke), then the brakes went away. We took it to garage to change the front pads, and found that another bolt had fallen out, this time one holding on the front right brake caliper. Another 20 laps lost.

We fixed all that, then saw an oil leak and heard a strange noise coming from somewhere underneath. Jacked it up and looked/listened but couldn't find it, so we figured all our luck was used up, so we threw in the towel. Another 30 laps lost.

Due to our transponder difficulties , we're not sure exactly where we finished, but we think it was something like 64th of 108.

Frick.

Keep Laughing.You're Next

Intense read. Loved it!