Powered by Team Mondor
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: '89 Turbo Supra build

Default Re: '89 Turbo Supra build

Quote Originally Posted by Communistwookie View Post
    How much did the run you? Details on them?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    They were about $620 shipped. The center caps say Redline Wheels or something like that. I just searched for CCW on eBay and found these.

They are 18x8.5 +35 and 18x9.5 +40. Hope these offsets work out ok. I see lots of guys running +20 but they have small tires with the "stretched" look. That's not for me... I'm going to try to fit 275/35's and 245/40's on them.
    1989 Turbo Supra, White Pkg - Build In Process
    7M-GTE w/stock turbo | Auto | Divorced/Recirculated Downpipe | Tanabe Touring Exhaust | DriftMotion Intercooler Kit
    Tokico Illuminas with H&R Springs | 18" CCW Knockoffs | waiting to be reassembled...

2016 Tundra CrewMax TRD Pro
    TRD Intake | LED DRL/Fog Light Upgrade | Predator Pro Steps | Corsa Exhaust
    BFG A/TKO2 285/65R18 | OEM Audio+ | Camlocker | DIY Auto Headlights

2009 Tundra D-Cab TRD Sport
    Lowered, supercharged and SOLD

2004 4Runner V8 4WD - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by supraguy@aol View Post
    Im glad that you found those used white moldings. I was going to suggest you try to find a set on Ebay or here in the for sale section, but then i read further down, that you did just that. As you move along with your build, use the for sale section here for all the bits and pieces you may need- its a great resource.

Good luck on your build. Looks like you're off to a great start.
    Will do, thanks!
    7M-GTE w/stock turbo | Auto | Divorced/Recirculated Downpipe | Tanabe Touring Exhaust | DriftMotion Intercooler Kit
    Tokico Illuminas with H&R Springs | 18" CCW Knockoffs | waiting to be reassembled...

Supramania Regular

nice, a white package 89 I favor the 89 steering wheels and such

I had xxr 006's at one point, a bunch of the "spokes" kinda get annoying when cleaning lol

was looking at the xxr ccw replicas or possibly another brand too but im liking my mkiv tt wheels I may just have them refinished or something, really don't feel like spending money on wheels again lol

hows the interior look/color? rust? you said it sat for a good while but garaged some of that time

good luck with everything

Build thread http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77500 (360 wheel hp and 380 torque on a mustang dyno... 6 years since rebuild)

Thanks! Well, from what I've seen the interior looks surprisingly clean. I haven't really got a good look yet believe it or not...

The back hatch is full of boxes of parts from the engine. The passenger side door panel and outside handle are removed because the PO had to get a key made and the driver's outside door handle just conveniently stopped working some time between me going to look at the car and a tow truck hauling it to my shop.

I had planned on having the engine ready to drop in by the end of this week but some stuff came up at work and I didn't get to do much with it. Once I get the accessories and everything out of the hatch and on the engine, then get the door handles working properly, I'll have a better idea of the condition of the interior.

Any suggestions of what I definitely do or don't need to do before dropping the engine into the car? Like should certain things be left off the engine until it's in or should I assemble as much as possible then drop it all in at once?

Wheels came in, they look pretty good (especially considering the price) and are pretty light. I planned on bolting on the manifold and turbo today, hooking up the new oil lines and getting this thing ready to drop into the car... started tightening the 3rd nut on the manifold and the stud just spins...

So it looks like I'm going to have to fix that now before I can go any further.

Okay, I ended up having to use helicoils on two manifold studs. I got that part taken care of then installed the driftmotion braided oil lines for the turbo. I'm working on getting the vacuum and coolant lines bolted up to the block then the timing cover and accessories. Hopefully it will be ready to drop back into the car after that...

I was expecting this to take a couple weeks to have the engine in and starting it up but it's turned out to be a lot more work (and broken/worn parts) than expected!

Haven't updated in a while... No new pictures but I ended up having to helicoil ALL of the exhaust studs! Ordered lots of other random hardware, hoses and gaskets... Anyway, engine is pretty much out back together now. I have a few last minute things to put together then hopefully it will be getting dropped in the car soon! More pics to come...

Oh yeah, just found out the crank pulley/balancer was bad so I had to order a new one. It looked like the pulley came loose at some point and wiggled around while the engine was running, caused the center of it to be worn out pretty bad and it has a lot of movement now when slid onto the crankshaft. The OEM part was discontinued a while back, the only new one I could find was made by ATI so that's what I ordered... It should be here tomorrow!

ATI Super Damper came in! It looks like it's not exactly a "bolt on" part... I'm going to have to grind down the flange on the new crank pulley bolt and also might have to have the pulley machined to fit onto the crank. It seems like some people had no problem getting theirs on and some do. Mine is just a few 1/1000ths of an inch smaller than the crank itself...

The engine is (hopefully) getting dropped in this weekend...

The rear tires were flat and had been for some time. They wouldn't hold air and were so dry rotted they wouldn't move. In order to roll it into the shop I had to go ahead and put on the rear wheels.