Powered by Team Mondor
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which clutch is best for daily street driving?

Default Which clutch is best for daily street driving?

My Supra is probably at about 300HP (give or take) right now, and I am not likely to go above 350-400 anytime in the near future.

Here are some clutch kits I've found. I've heard several members say they've had good experience with the South Bend Stage 1 kit.

Anyone have experience with Ralco, Spec, or any other brand that you'd like to recommend or recommend against?

Ralco RZ Clutch Kit - Stage 2 Carbon Kevlar $283.81
    http://clutchflywheel.com/i-531754.a...adtype=pla&kw=

Spec Stage 1 Clutch for 1986-92 Supra Turbo $411.00
    http://www.mvpmotorsports.com/templa...ubFolderID=306

South Bend Stage 1 1986-92 Supra Turbo $337.50
    http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/part.../Stage_1/18487

Default Re: Which clutch is best for daily street driving?

bump.

anyone have any testimonials with any of these?

Thanks in advance!

I bought an ACT clutch for the supra. It was sprung 6-puck disc with stock flywheel and ACT HD pressure plate. It was awful. engagement was rough and it chattered and the pedal weight was awful. I personally dont have any other experience with those clutches you listed. As of right now I have a Spec Super Twin and it is amazing.

Some insight would be to stay with a full face sprung disc for drive-ability. Just like the clutches you have listed.
    Wait, you mean you enjoy having a vehicle that's nice looking, luxurious, and practical? Blasphemy! Rough riding MA70 with a stiff clutch is what you should have.

Administrator

I've used the more modified Spec units - specifically the stage 3, which was a 6 puck, and had good results with that. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase their stuff again.

I'm currently using a twin disc Clutchmasters, because I've gone well past the power handling capability of single disc units.

Supramania Regular

I've used a SPEC stage 2 in the past, and I quite liked it. It's a full-face with nearly stock feel, I would have no hesitation daily driving on it. A good upgrade without going "too far".

With your power goals, I'd look into a SPEC Stage 2+ or 3+, both are full-face and hold more power than the 1 or 2.

Supramania Regular

has anyone had experience using an aftermarket disc with a stock pp? i saw somewhere that something like an act 6sprung 6 puck works well with the stock pp.

Supramania Regular

I'm running an ACT sprung 6 puck with stock PP. It doesn't chatter much, but the engagement too quick for me. I have to bring the RPM'S up more that usual to try to slip it smoothly. That 6 puck is not designed to be slipped, and will start to chatter if you try to slip it like a normal full face stock clutch. I've done a best of 12.91 @109mph on that set up dumping it at 5200rpm. Hot lapped it before 5 runs straight and it didn't slip. I'd estimate that I was running 320ish rwhp during those runs.

In the past I had a Duralast organic full face clutch and PP that I put in because I was in a financial bind. Did a best of 12.89 @ 111mph on a different set up. It ran good its first pass down the strip, but when hot lapped it showed signs of slipping its second run. I'd guesstimate I was putting down around the same rwhp back then too.

If I could do it all again I'd find a full face ceramic disc with stock PP to run. I don't care for 6 pucks. I, too, will not exceed 400rwhp either.

Supramania Regular

good advice. i plan on hitting 400-450 wheel. i'd like a full face that can handle that much power. i was looking into act and spec, but haven't decided yet.

Supramania Regular

ACT pressure plate and stock disc.
    WTB Supra hardtop