Powered by Team Mondor
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Killing The Myth: ATF vs PS Fluid

Aliens.

Default Re: Killing The Myth: ATF vs PS Fluid

The additives and viscosity will vary from ATF to power steering and also from one brand to the next, but destruction of a system (ours) from using one vs the other is unlikely, the are both designed for use as hydraulic fluid. Using ATF or engine oil in your brakes is certainly destructive.

On the other hand, my MR2 for example had an electro-hydraulic power steering system utilizing an electric pump. The system called for a very specific fluid from Toyota (extremely expensive) and people reported several problems when using regular power steering fluid or ATF, but this is likely due to the pump itself. The EHPS fluid seemed to be a much lower viscosity than regular PS fluid.

90T

I have used ATF (Dexron 3) for many years in my PS system, along with a magnefine inline filter. I suspect that any oil meeting MIL-H-5606 would be an okay substitute.

Hondas are definitely not okay with ATF or regular PS fluid. They will foam like crazy and overflow the reservoir.

My wife's Volvo requires Pentosin 11s. "Extremely high VI of 320, thin CST, and supposedly very selective synthetic basestocks and additives make it special". Seems quite a few german cars also spec this. Far as I can tell, it works better at lower temps, but regular ATF would likely be fine in moderate climates.

As an aside, PS temperatures scale with engine rpm, not load. If you do long high rpm drives (track or mountain driving) temps will be an issue.
    Last edited by 3p141592654; March 6th, 2013 at 10:59 AM.

Formerly 89jdm7m

Quote Originally Posted by jdmfreak View Post
    A few years back my roommate put a bottle of power steering fluid (with no label) with the brake fluid on the shelf

I grabbed it and filled my brake master cylinder with psf..... No good..... As I used My brakes they got tighter and tighter and within 5 miles were about completely locked up...

Had my truck towed to a tire place and they informed me that "somebody" had put power steering fluid in my master cylinder and that all rubber parts in the system were toast and would need to be replaced...

Now I took it home thoroughly flushed the system, replaced my master cylinder and everything was fine... But if psf is different from atf due to oil in the psf couldn't it essentially ruin the steering system like it did my brakes?
    that's exactly what I was thinking in my previous statement "the only real issue I can see here is that oil does cause rubber to expand" in causing rubber to expand, oil also causes rubber to deteriorate, and weaken significantly

I understand ATF is a petrolium product, but lacks the base oil
    Last edited by Insidious Surmiser; March 6th, 2013 at 11:34 AM.

I play with fire

Just because it's petroleum based doesn't make it the same...
    2015 Subaru BRZ Series.Blue, Valenti tails, Michellin Pilot Super Sports, E85 tune

>>TomTom Custom Supra Icon<<

[Quin] 6:00 pm: fuck you
    [Quin] 6:00 pm: assholes
    [Canuckrz] 6:01 pm: fuck you and every mall santa that looks like you Quin
    [Quin] 6:01 pm: lol pwnt
    Aliens Cause Global Warming: A Caltech Lecture by Michael Crichton

Free Toyota Autotech Literature

PACNW

Quote Originally Posted by Poodles View Post
    Just because it's petroleum based doesn't make it the same...
    Care to elaborate? I thought that this was the whole reason we have this "myth"....
    But I have a suspicion you know more than you are sharing

Quote Originally Posted by Faye View Post
    that was my 69th post lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird87 View Post
    Du king Shawn got my drunk loll
    http://s561.photobucket.com/albums/s...ayer/jdmfreak/

Running on MS3X

Supramania Regular

I would be interested to see a side by side comparison of the two candidates on a scientific scale..
    1988 white 7MGTE(Current) est 360 rwhp.
    1987 red supra turbo shell(Parts car)
    1983 supra 5mge(Sold)
    2014 Dodge Dart SXT Rallye 2.4

Driftmotion DP-Driftmotion catback-CT2657 16+ PSI-Greddy profec bspec 2-AEM UEGO-Walbro400-AFPR-560cc/Lex-Driftmotion IC hardpipe-HKS SSQ-Apexi intake-KYB Excel GR2-Hankook Ventus RS3 225/60/16

In the makings, 62mm turbo setup. See how far I can push it, shooting for minimum 450 rwhp.

PACNW

http://www.redlineoil.com/content/fi...PDS%201-10.pdf

http://www.redlineoil.com/content/fi...uct%20Data.pdf

This is just red line but maybe someone can compare the 2 on their computer as its hard for me to on my cell
    Unless I pulled the wrong data sheets... Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Faye View Post
    that was my 69th post lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird87 View Post
    Du king Shawn got my drunk loll
    http://s561.photobucket.com/albums/s...ayer/jdmfreak/

Running on MS3X

<("<) <( " )> (>")>

I've was taught at school that if calls atf it can use either atf or ps fluid but if it calls for ps fliud only use ps fluid in it
    05 Subaru STi
    87 Supra turbo
    93 Camry daily driver.
    97 Honda CBR F3

Easy upper control arm bushing removal

Supramania Regular

Which the redline comparisons, it seems the viscosity of the ATF fluid is more than the PS fluid. Could it be the toyota PS pump calls for ATF fluid due to the clearance between the gears being greater? Someone should disassemble one completely. This is going off the viscosity index.
    1988 white 7MGTE(Current) est 360 rwhp.
    1987 red supra turbo shell(Parts car)
    1983 supra 5mge(Sold)
    2014 Dodge Dart SXT Rallye 2.4

Driftmotion DP-Driftmotion catback-CT2657 16+ PSI-Greddy profec bspec 2-AEM UEGO-Walbro400-AFPR-560cc/Lex-Driftmotion IC hardpipe-HKS SSQ-Apexi intake-KYB Excel GR2-Hankook Ventus RS3 225/60/16

In the makings, 62mm turbo setup. See how far I can push it, shooting for minimum 450 rwhp.

6'8 BC Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Daugherty_3 View Post
    I've was taught at school that if calls atf it can use either atf or ps fluid but if it calls for ps fliud only use ps fluid in it
    I was told the same thing. Keeping in mind that I would probably be flushing the system and using only one oil in the system once I got to a place where I was able to fix the issue/leak that made me mix oils in the first place.