Powered by Team Mondor
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rotella T6 5w 40 in 7mgte

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Filtration

Default Re: Rotella T6 5w 40 in 7mgte

Quote Originally Posted by Zrain25 View Post
    The guy before me ran 15w50 in it. It' has 140,000 on it so thin oil won't work to well until it's rebuilt. I just heard of people running 5w 40 in it. I know it's great oil but idk if its great oil in a 7m
    If you are referring to GC 3W-30 as a "thin oil", that simply is not true. GC hot viscosity approaches the 40W range. GC is not thin by any means

So I'm thinking that the 5w 40 will work. If it can take the punishment I put in my truck it should handle the supra.
    T6 will work (and work quite well), but not because it works in your truck. It will work because T6 has a fairly low cold viscosity and it's hot viscosity is suitable for the 7M...not because it works in your truck.

No I thought i could use it because if it runs of off thick 15w 50 it will run off of 5w 40. Be easier for the engine to move the oil around when cold
    Your oil choice is sound, but the logic for using it is not...another case of dumb luck choosing an oil
    I will no longer respond to tech questions via PM. If you have a question, put it on the forum so everyone benefits from the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Supracentral
    However I still stand by my statement that 99 times out of 100, the weak link in the MKIII is the owner.
    Quote Originally Posted by jetjock
    I swear, it's like talking to an amoeba...

Want to know about oil...read this:
    Motor Oil 101 - Dr AE Haas

"Life is like a jar of Jalapeno Peppers
    What you do today, might Burn Your Ass Tomorrow"

Supramania Regular

I understand. I'm not using because it works in my truck. I'm using it because like u said above the low viscosity when cold. And viscosity when warm. That is why I'm using it.

I use to to run rotella 15w40 in my truck. I don't know if u guys have diesels but in the winter they don't like to start. With 15w40 it didn't want to start easy. Switched to synthetic 5w40 and it starts with ease at -10.

5w40 seamed to me that it's the right viscosity for my 7m just trying to get ur thoughts.

After the engine is rebuilt I will be running a thinner oil because the engine will be alot tighter then it is now.

Now you're making a little more sense
    I do have a diesel truck and I bet you can guess what oil I use It doesn't get terribly cold in Phoenix, but it does in Flagstaff...my powerstroke is the same cold natured beast you described.

T6 will work great in any of the Supra motors, especially those with higher mileage bearing wear...like yours
    I will no longer respond to tech questions via PM. If you have a question, put it on the forum so everyone benefits from the answer.

However I still stand by my statement that 99 times out of 100, the weak link in the MKIII is the owner.

Supramania Regular

What year do u have? I like my powerstroke as much as my supra

Supramania Regular

If you're set that you need a thicker oil because of your engine wear, what is your oil psi during cold/hot runs? Your engine might have 140k on it but are the clearances that screwed up that you'd need to step to a thicker oil?

I'm not trying to be a douche, I'm just trying to understand why you need the thicker oil.
    1988 white 7MGTE(Current) est 360 rwhp.
    1987 red supra turbo shell(Parts car)
    1983 supra 5mge(Sold)
    2014 Dodge Dart SXT Rallye 2.4

Driftmotion DP-Driftmotion catback-CT2657 16+ PSI-Greddy profec bspec 2-AEM UEGO-Walbro400-AFPR-560cc/Lex-Driftmotion IC hardpipe-HKS SSQ-Apexi intake-KYB Excel GR2-Hankook Ventus RS3 225/60/16

In the makings, 62mm turbo setup. See how far I can push it, shooting for minimum 450 rwhp.

Supramania Regular

Oil psi right now is about 4 to 5psi at idle hot. With the 15 50 in it. It right above the zero mark on the psi gauge (stock)

Supramania Regular

I need to get a real gauge

What year do u have? I like my powerstroke as much as my supra
    It's a 2001 7.3L...I really like that motor

Quote Originally Posted by IndigoMKII View Post
    If you're set that you need a thicker oil because of your engine wear, what is your oil psi during cold/hot runs? Your engine might have 140k on it but are the clearances that screwed up that you'd need to step to a thicker oil?

I'm not trying to be a douche, I'm just trying to understand why you need the thicker oil.
    Bearing wear will cause pressure to drop...his psi indications show it. In this case, a slightly thicker oil will provide a better surface to minimize metal-to-metal contact between the bearing and the journal. A 5W-40 is not excessively thick for this motor, a 15W-50 is. It's not going to fix the problem (excessive clearance due to wear or improper build), but it will buy some time. The proper solution is to re-build the engine.

Supramania Regular

I got a 99 7.3. 05 conversion.

Was my baby till I got the supra

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354807718.531391.jpg

Supramania Regular

Just talked to previous owner he said the gauge sometimes didn't work. He said its reads great while driveing but at idle sometimes it reads low. I'm gunna test it with a better gauge