Powered by Team Mondor
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY: R-12 to R-134a Conversion (How To)

Supramania Regular

Default Re: DIY: R-12 to R-134a Conversion (How To)

my toyota guy got me an aftermarket oring kit, even came with the pump top plate ring, fit toyota/lexus 1985-2004 or something rather than $2-3 a piece from Toyota.. green rubber

same with the adapter valves, they were $14/12 until I returned them in favour of keeping R12

EDIT; looked like this;

http://www.wholesalecompressor.com/c...kit-30-mt2503/

Last edited by #04; July 4th, 2012 at 05:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post
    Do you have any rough estimate of total build cost to this day?
    Quote Originally Posted by rodel View Post
    You have asked the forbidden question, my friend. I could tell you, but then I would have to kill myself because of the ludicrosity.

Supramania Regular

Quote Originally Posted by suprarx7nut View Post
    First off, THANK YOU for this thread. I've been toying with servicing this since I bought my car and the TSRM actually skips over a lot of the basics and I just couldn't get a handle on how to do some of this stuff. Seeing it laid out like this with parts and tools required helps a TON.

Not a problem I was hoping it would help a few people

Is this the right adapter set? Are they all universal? I'd like to get something better than the cheapest varieties as I dont want to mess with this again, but I'm having a hard time finding adapters that I know will fit.

By adapter set im assuming you mean the R12 to 134 valve fittings right for the car and not the gauges? You can find them at any part store, the only thing that is funky about these is the high side is a different size vs the low side. Most sets for a GM fit. Or you can buy one of these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Retrofit-Fit...badd75&vxp=mtr

Now I'm also confused on the O-rings. The Toyota bulletin doesn't list a part number for the Supra. All it says is "NA". Does anybody have Toyota part numbers for the O-rings?

Ill see if i can get the part numbers for the O-rings. Green O-Rings will work fine as well if you arent picky about using Toyota Red O-rings.
    1988 Toyota Supra Turbo Auto Two-Tone Blue (21C)/Blue Interior
    Running at 85%

Supramania Regular

Conversion Complete.

The result below

That's right near sub 40'F it feels colder than my R12 charged system. Steven89 can attest to the feel of both cars as I'm sure he'll chime in soon.
    Last edited by JDMMA70; September 10th, 2012 at 10:33 AM.
    Running at 85%

theoretically,... when i did the 1jz swap i of course used AC condensor and everything else from the 1J. Yes, when i disconnected the lines the R12 did end up spraying out... lol i didnt know what i was doing at the time AC-wise. So THEORETICALLY if everything is setup right just to get some decent AC again can i just recharge with R12 and add a small amount of oil. I dont need ICE COLD "BEST AC EVER" just want some good cold air flowing through.
    *1989 Toyota Supra 1JZ-GTE 5 speed swap
    AEM V2 | 3"Intercooler | Tanabe Hyper Medallion | Walbro 255 | Stock Twins | 22psi | 200amp Alt | ID1000's | LW FW | ACT PP & Clutch 373whp, 420wtq

2001 Audi A6 4.2 Quattro
    1998 Toyota Camry
    (^_^)

Supramania Regular

Quote Originally Posted by bluebullet89 View Post
    theoretically,... when i did the 1jz swap i of course used AC condensor and everything else from the 1J. Yes, when i disconnected the lines the R12 did end up spraying out... lol i didnt know what i was doing at the time AC-wise. So THEORETICALLY if everything is setup right just to get some decent AC again can i just recharge with R12 and add a small amount of oil. I dont need ICE COLD "BEST AC EVER" just want some good cold air flowing through.
    The issue is when you did disconnect the lines and if there was indeed R12 still in the system (doesnt matter at this point) all the gas and oil would have come flying out under pressure. In youre case replace all the o-rings you disturbed, might as well replace them all. Add the correct amount of mineral oil and yes you can can charge it with R12 again assuming it had it before. It may have had R134a in it and the previous owner chose not to change the fittings.
    Running at 85%

Quote Originally Posted by JDMMA70 View Post
    The issue is when you did disconnect the lines and if there was indeed R12 still in the system (doesnt matter at this point) all the gas and oil would have come flying out under pressure. In youre case replace all the o-rings you disturbed, might as well replace them all. Add the correct amount of mineral oil and yes you can can charge it with R12 again assuming it had it before. It may have had R134a in it and the previous owner chose not to change the fittings.
    It was a 1j clip from Japan so unless the guy in Japan converted it at 42k miles it should have been R12
    *1989 Toyota Supra 1JZ-GTE 5 speed swap
    AEM V2 | 3"Intercooler | Tanabe Hyper Medallion | Walbro 255 | Stock Twins | 22psi | 200amp Alt | ID1000's | LW FW | ACT PP & Clutch 373whp, 420wtq

2001 Audi A6 4.2 Quattro
    1998 Toyota Camry
    (^_^)

Supramania Regular

It could've also been 12a which is legal for use in Japan
    Running at 85%

YotaMD.com author

JUST finished my retrofit! Blows Ice cold at idle with R134 and my regular stock condenser! )

I haven't put a thermometer up to it, but it was uncomfortably cold in the cabin with the car in my garage with about 85 ambient temp. We'll see how well it does when it's 105F out in the sun. So far, so good. Getting to all the o-rings wasn't bad and someone could definitely do the job (without swapping condensers) in a day start to finish. I had a complete brain fart with the adapters and wasted a couple hours chasing down parts I already had.

Thanks a TON JDMMA70 for the writeup. The job really isn't that difficult, but it's intimidating if you haven't had a lot of AC experience.

Wish I would have done this in the spring!

VERY VERY well done sir, conversion and manual charging for dummies is complete. these instructions will apply for almost any automotive ac system folks, im surprised you havnt gotten more thanks.
    Originally Posted by IJ.
    Don't half ass it....

Turbo Supra's are an unforgiving bitch at the best of times.

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'

for the love of god please try to keep any moisture out of the system it does take time for it to eat away at your system, i have heard 100 stories of 'well i converted it now it doesnt work (year later)' or 'i just replaced the schrader valve'... on and on.. i would have a shop evac the system after the work just in case. why do all of that for nothing :P

if you are getting a new compressor or performing any work you might as well replace the orifice tube/expansion valve and receiver drier... these are cheap parts to replace... about 15$ each. most warranties require the work and at least some proof of a shop performing the work.