Powered by Team Mondor
Page 1 of 99 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Git 'er done!: Stages 1 and 2...

Supramania Regular

Default Git 'r done!: Stages 1-2-3!

Ok. It's been a LONG time since I've had a build thread.
    On my last thread, I really only got about a 3rd of the way towards my goals. I've owned my '88 na(now turbo) Supra since 1996, and in that time I've done a lot of mods,
    and in the process, I've replaced about every part of the car, except body panels, dash and seats. So, I guess that means, I should replace the body panels, dash and seat!
    I figure if I work hard at this thing, I can get it completely finished by late summer, which means I'll have at least 3 or 4 months of enjoyment out of it before
    The world ends...
    I will have 4 stages to this build, and unlike my previous A.D.D. attempts to improve my car, I will focus only on one stage at a time, in the following order:

1. Suspension and steering
    2. Interior
    3. Body
    4. Drivetrain
    I've let my A.D.D. force me to buy various items for the car, and thus have 25% of everything I need for each stage, but not enough to complete any of them.
    But I couldn't help it- when I saw a bargain- I jumped at it, such as:
    92 bumper assembly:

Hail damage-free front fenders:

Cunningham rods:

Borla ProXS muffler and stupid-big tips:

T4 manifold:

New turbo oil pump and oil squirter bolts:

New oem in the bag 88 7MGTE engine harness:
    Last edited by supraguy@aol; September 7th, 2017 at 04:56 PM.
    My Over-budget, Over-deadline build: http://www.supramania.com/forums/sho...-come!-Stage-1... It now runs!
    Project: Lexx- 1988 Targa 5spd.
    NA-GTE swap, Megan EZ Street coilovers, ST swaybars, custom endlinks, Energy Suspension bushings, 18x9/18x10 FR500's, ECU masters DET3, Denso direct-fit 680cc injectors on a brand new oem harness, Aeromotive Stealth pump, Driftmotion IC/ hardpipe setup, Kamainari whaletail, 3in. Magnaflow/Borla exhaust, chromoly flywheel, Spec 2+ clutch, aluminum driveshaft, Wiseco pistons, Cunningham rods, full flow oil cooling setup, Cometic 2mm HG, ATI super damper, ARP head, rod, main and flywheel fasteners, HKS style exhaust manifold, Precision 6266 CEA turbo, DG500 COP setup, Fluidyne radiator, GTmat sound deadening, new carpet. Coming soon: New leather, new sound, new paint.

My under budget, clean & slow build: http://www.supramania.com/forums/sho...RY-short-build
    Daily: Dora- 1989 Targa 5spd.
    7MGTE, mhg and ARP's, aluminum radiator freeflow DP, Apex'i intake, HKS Super Drager exhaust, 18" FR500's, Tanabe GF210 springs, ST swaybars, Illumina 2 TEMS shocks.
    Lexus afm, 560 injectors, Apexi Neo, wideband. Two-tone black/grey tweed interior, Pioneer Bluetooth/ Pandora/ Sirius/XM stereo. So much for keeping it stock.

Supramania Regular

Default Re: Project: Git 'er done before the Mayans come! Stage 1...

I admit- ther'e no money wasted in doing it this way, but it doesn't get the car any closer to completion.
    So without further ado, welcome to stage one!
    Plans are as follows:
    REAR:
    Remove rear subframe
    Repair cracks and reinforce
    Install Nylon/ rubber combo spacers
    Install ES suspension bushings
    Clean and reinstall
    Replace Eibach/ Koni setup with Megan street coilovers

Let's begin...

Jack her up:

Disconnect my old(to be sold off) 3"exhaust, and aluminum(NOT to be sold off) driveshaft:

Brakes bled out and disconnected, and e-brakes disconnected, time to lower it:

Pull it out:

Unbolt all arms, swaybar and diff from the subframe:

Stage 1 of stage one complete:

Here, you'll notice the previous crack that was welded on the right, and the new, improved crack on the left:

Top view of the crack:

You'll notice in a couple of the pics, you can see that i had already installed some of the ES bushings. now I just have to finish them up.
    I also have the oem replacement spherical bushings for the lower arms, which aren't included in the ES kit:

Also, I have the BIC nylon subframe spacers installed, but they transmit too much diff noise. Therefore, I plan to cut down their thickness, to
    allow the use of the oem rubber spacers as well.

That's it for now, next is to weld and reinforce the subframe, and cut down the nylon spacers.
    I hope you follow along with this process, and keep me moving on it.
    Thanks for looking.
    Last edited by supraguy@aol; September 7th, 2017 at 05:10 PM.
    My Over-budget, Over-deadline build: http://www.supramania.com/forums/sho...-come!-Stage-1... It now runs!
    NA-GTE swap, Megan EZ Street coilovers, ST swaybars, custom endlinks, Energy Suspension bushings, 18x9/18x10 FR500's, ECU masters DET3, Denso direct-fit 680cc injectors on a brand new oem harness, Aeromotive Stealth pump, Driftmotion IC/ hardpipe setup, Kamainari whaletail, 3in. Magnaflow/Borla exhaust, chromoly flywheel, Spec 2+ clutch, aluminum driveshaft, Wiseco pistons, Cunningham rods, full flow oil cooling setup, Cometic 2mm HG, ATI super damper, ARP head, rod, main and flywheel fasteners, HKS style exhaust manifold, Precision 6266 CEA turbo, DG500 COP setup, Fluidyne radiator, GTmat sound deadening, new carpet. Coming soon: New leather, new sound, new paint.

My under budget, clean & slow build: http://www.supramania.com/forums/sho...RY-short-build
    7MGTE, mhg and ARP's, aluminum radiator freeflow DP, Apex'i intake, HKS Super Drager exhaust, 18" FR500's, Tanabe GF210 springs, ST swaybars, Illumina 2 TEMS shocks.
    Lexus afm, 560 injectors, Apexi Neo, wideband. Two-tone black/grey tweed interior, Pioneer Bluetooth/ Pandora/ Sirius/XM stereo. So much for keeping it stock.

BLUEBULLET

looks great cant wait to see more

Supramania Regular

Tomorrow, I bring the subframe to work, and will repair and reinforce it.

Supramania Regular

Looks like you have some good stuff in your posession! What's the plan with the seats? And just because I said the word "seat" doesn't mean you need to slack off and take a seat. We gota keep ya motivated!

Lurker

cool

Supramania Regular

Today I brought the subframe to work, and repaired the crack, and also welded in a plate of steel and two tubular support braces, between the front and rear diff mount walls.
    I will have some pics tomorrow. The welds aren't pretty, so i need to smooth some of them out with my angle grinder, then paint the subframe.

As for seats, I plan to have a full set of leather/ suede replacement skins made for front and rear seats. I don't want any aftermarket seats, I like the feel of the stock ones.
    The carpet will be replaced with what ACC calls their ultra plush line; it's a cut pile nylon, but much denser than stock- more like current cars. It will also have mass-backing, to reduce road noise.
    The interior will also get a new double din head unit with navigation and bluetooth, and a new shallow mount subwoofer, to go in the hatch area. Windows will be stripped of old tint, and new tint installed.
    Dash will come out for the install of a new heater core and new AC evaporator.

But that's all stage 2 stuff. I'm still dealing with stage 1- the suspension. I was considering replacing all of the rear arms with Battle Version adjustable arms, but I realized that would be overkill; I want my car to simply be a comfortable ride with a sporty edge to it. My overall goal for the car is to make it look slightly modernized, but factory. Like- what if the MkIII was kept in production for a few more years- how would it have evolved? That's my aim.

I have to go out of town tomorrow night for work, and I won't be home for about 5 days, so reassembly of the rear subframe will have to wait. While I'm out of town, I'll be ordering the Megan coilovers, so that they arrive when I'm home and not before. Also, I'll probably replace both rear half shafts, since mine have over 300,000 miles on them. Then it's on to the front suspension. New steering rack, front urethane bushings go in, and new ball joints. I have already rebuilt the power steering pump, and installed a stainless PS pressure line.

Supramania Regular

So, here's the welded and braced subframe.
    I used 1/4" plate steel on the inside face of the forward wall, and then welded in 1" seamless tubing.
    I've seen alot of guys go nuts with corner angle braces, and plate the entire forward hump, but I felt that this would be enough reinforcement for my purposes.

Still trying to figure out how to get the rear axles out of the hubs. After 25 years, it seems that they are welded in place!
    I've tried a two jaw puller on the rear disc, with said disc bolted down with the wheel nuts.
    And I've tried bashing it out with a 3lb hammer. Problem is, I don't want to ruin the thread area, so that I can return these as cores.
    So if anyone has any suggestions, I'm open to them.
    Last edited by supraguy@aol; September 7th, 2017 at 05:11 PM.

A HG job took HOW long??

this may be a simple question, but did you remove the lock nut? if the splines are stuck, have you tried spraying the whole thing with a good quality penetrating spray?

and for reference: http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Librar...Section=RA&P=6

| AEM v1 | FFIM | Stock Turbo | Stock Injectors | 320whp / 360 ft.-lbs. |

Build Thread

Supramania Regular

Yes, I did remove the locknut, and I did spray both front and rear with PB blaster and left it overnight, with ~500lbs outward tension on the shaft.
    No luck so far.