Powered by Team Mondor
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Howto: Transmission Oil Change, the easy way!

Default Howto: Transmission Oil Change, the easy way!

This is a quick guide to replacing your transmission oil with a minimum of fuss, without an oil pump. If you do have a pump (with a long thin spout), you should probably follow the Repair Manual.

For the impatient know-it-all's: Take out the shifter and pour the oil through the hole.

For everyone else:

1. Go for a cruise to warm up the transmission oil if it's cold out. This is not required, but it's a convenient excuse!

We'll be taking out the shifter. Here's my setup:
    (See pic 1)

2. Take off the "Instrument Center Cluster Finish Panel" (TSRM - Body Section). Six screws.
    (See pic 2)

4. Take out the shifter itself. Move the rubber up the shifter. Eight screws.
    (See pic 3)

With the R154 transmission, both the drain and the filler plugs are sideways. Size 24mm wrench needed. You do not need to take anything else off the undercarriage to get these bolts off.

5. Drain the oil, replace the drain plug, and refill through the shifter hole until oil starts to come out of the filler hole (wasn't that easy?). If you jacked the front of the car up, take that into account.

6. Put everything back together and take 'er for a cruise to make sure everything is good.

That's it!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JimR; September 30th, 2006 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Changed images to attachments.
    1989 Navy Blue Turbo BPU+

1991 1JZ

Default Re: Howto: Transmission Oil Change, the easy way!

remember to replace that gasket, or if you want to reuse it make sure the drain bolt isnt leaking!

Grumpy Old Man

Might be an idea to highlight "Put the drain plug back in then refill through shifter hole"

Dr. Jeff Lange

Excellent post Jim, and yeah, you should add the step about putting the bolt back in, lol, I can just imagine someone forgetting, then pouring the new stuff in only to have it pour out... and then go for a drive... .

PS: You need a new black shift knob.

2011 Lexus IS350 Obsidian F-Sport 6MT with LSD
    1986 Corolla GT-S Supercharged with TRD
    1993 Previa GT-S RM Ice Racer

Quote Originally Posted by IJ.
    Might be an idea to highlight "Put the drain plug back in then refill through shifter hole"
    Hahaha! This is supposed to be a regular guide, not an "Idiots guide to..." ;-) But I'll modify it anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
    Excellent post Jim, and yeah, you should add the step about putting the bolt back in, lol, I can just imagine someone forgetting, then pouring the new stuff in only to have it pour out... and then go for a drive... .

PS: You need a new black shift knob.
    I do huh? Well I would like one that has TRD written on it... I mean if I'm going to replace a perfectly good and useable component, there's gotta be some point to it!

Grumpy Old Man

Quote Originally Posted by Heckler
    Hahaha! This is supposed to be a regular guide, not an "Idiots guide to..." ;-) But I'll modify it anyway!
    LMAO well you know the saying about something "idiot proof"

There will always be a better idiot!

I can just imagine someone here jumping up and down yelling at you cos you didn't say to put the drain plug back in!

Hiatus over.

This might be a good little something to add to it. The R-154 holds 3.2 quarts of oil. The .2 measures out to 8 oz. Instead of taking the fill plug out and having oil flowing out of that, you could just measure the amount. I.E. 3 quarts (since the oil usually comes in quarts) + 8oz. Just a thought, thats the way I do it.

7m-gte_power

aye mate has a good point i dont want oil allover the 3 quarts is nice i like that litttle piece of info thanks man

Kerry

Quote Originally Posted by aye mate
    This might be a good little something to add to it. The R-154 holds 3.2 quarts of oil. The .2 measures out to 8 oz. Instead of taking the fill plug out and having oil flowing out of that, you could just measure the amount. I.E. 3 quarts (since the oil usually comes in quarts) + 8oz. Just a thought, thats the way I do it.
    I like to make sure that the tranny does take 3 litres (3.2 quarts) and that something is not really wrong. I use the filler plug to do that. Each to his own I guess.