Powered by Team Mondor
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your guide to drag strip success w/pics.

Obsessed

Default Re: Your guide to drag strip success w/pics.

Well done, I still doubt it will save my time when I finally get around to going to a track for the first time.

shaeff is FTMFW!

Very nice writeup Bob. I like your style. haha

The trailing arms you couldn't think of are the ones made by A1 Racing.
    http://www.a1racing.com/index.asp?Pa...OD&ProdID=1937
    Tired of having multiple keys? PM me for re-keying lock cyls

------3E5 1990 Turbo Targa - 206 1990 Turbo HT-------

Quote Originally Posted by supra90turbo
    Very nice writeup Bob. I like your style. haha

The trailing arms you couldn't think of are the ones made by A1 Racing.
    http://www.a1racing.com/index.asp?Pa...OD&ProdID=1937
    Thank you. I thought it was something like A something C, but couldnt find it in my links. Good catch!
    poop

Phase Two

Take that "rant" crap out of there, that's just stupid. Nobody is harming the community by running poor 1/4 mile times and anyone who would take something written in that tone seriously should probably avoid the internet alltogether (I certantly hope you didn't write that part yourself). Most MKIII people don't take drag racing seriously, and that's fine, they probably didn't buy a MKIII to make it into a dragster. Talking about them like they are morons and they are making you look bad is only going to discourage them from trying, or at least from posting their results. I don't think very many people do well at drag racing on their first attempt, practice will probably have a bigger affect than anything you posted in this whole thread, and you are discouraging that by making people hesitant to try for fear of failure, hesitant to post results for fear of getting flamed and hesitant to try again if their first attempt doesn't go well (which it probably won't). OK engouth anti-rant ranting from me.

I don't agree with your clutch theories, the track will either have more or less traction than the street (at least around here some have less) Obviously you need to put down as much power (torque) as the track will hold, you can change this somewhat with your launch rpm, but you can totally change it with how you release the clutch. If you let the clutch out on the street like you would in a drag launch and you don't have the rpm's up your going to kill it.

Boost on the line is going to be the second biggest drivetrain killer right after slicks, it's not for everybody.

I think disconnecting the sway bar is going to have more of an effect the more your car "twists" off line, which is alot more ponounced in cars with a solid axle. If both front tires droop together, the friction of the sway bar turning in its mounts isn't goign to have any significant effect on weight transfer. Then again, I've never tried it.

The camber comments are true, but again how many people take dragging seriously enough to mess up their street settings.

You should definantly have a pair of rims and tires just for dragging, 15" rims fit over the stock calipers, which gives you the best selection of tires.

Totally agree on gearing, people may need to adjust their driving to the 4.30, but it is definantly going to be faster. As far as a spinfest, that means your tires/suspension sucks, not the gearing.

Less weight is better obviously, don't hesitate to take weight off anywhere you are willing to. The lowest overall weight is first priority, then worry about how is is distributed.

You need to mention shift points, I firmly believe that unless there is something wrong with your engine you need to shift at redline, if shifting earlier makes you faster something is wrong.

Also mention pre-loading the drivetrain and avoiding wheel hop as critical to drivetrain longevity, shock loads are killers.

Glen

shaeff is FTMFW!

Thank you. Happy I could help
    Oddly enough, I was browsing the site, ready to order some parts moments before I read this thread.

i lol'd at this part!!
    Quote Originally Posted by outofstep
    Whatever you do, don’t listen to other Supra owners.
    They have proven they don’t know what they are doing.
    Tired of having multiple keys? PM me for re-keying lock cyls

------3E5 1990 Turbo Targa - 206 1990 Turbo HT-------

Supramania Regular

THANK YOU OUTOFSTEP. THANK YOU OUTOFSTEP. i'll be at the track this saterday and i've read the writeup on sf about launching but this is very in depth about everything else involved in drag racing. i will definatly give all of this a try.
    I've been told I have a fetish for having my car in pieces

1.2mm HKS mhg, ARP studs @85ft/lbs, brembo rotors, metal master pads, ss lines, K&N FPIK, 50 trim ct-26, Bosch 110 bov, spec stage 2, mbc@ 12.5 psi, BIC dp, 3in cat, custom 3in catback with magnaflow muffler, lower ic pipe, Yokohama AVS ES 100's

The Future: custom upper hardpipe, wb, MAF-T pro.

2jzget comingsoon!

I'm glad someone finally said it.... I ran 12's on a ct.....everyone should be able to.

save me from my camry!

can we get a chart showing top speed for each gear set for both auto and 5spd? possibly at each gear change. also using the stock sized saw blades and oem tires?

for now im pimping a camry

Administrator

That would be very complex, considering that we have three different rear end gearings, three different trannies, two stock rev limits, and a host of aftermarket changes that might affect this as well...

Good post, but I like being overlooked at the drag strip. So everyone please keep up the 14 second time slips so that when I race, they won't see me coming with the 10's and 11's