Powered by Team Mondor
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Early Vs Late 7M Blocks

Toyota Love

Default Re: Early Vs Late GTE Blocks

very cool. and the motors equipped with 6m crank have a higher red line than the 7m crank ones yes? Its like 6500rpm vs 6250rpm isn't it? I decided since i was balancing internals that the 6m crank would be better since it weighs less.

Grumpy Old Man

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy_Heafy View Post
    very cool. and the motors equipped with 6m crank have a higher red line than the 7m crank ones yes? Its like 6500rpm vs 6250rpm isn't it? I decided since i was balancing internals that the 6m crank would be better since it weighs less.
    Not sure what the actual hard cut is on both ECU's but either crank is happy to spin to the higher limit, I ran both cranks in the same engine within a 2 week period with the crank being the only change, both were prepped identically and the 7M was smoother across the range until 7500+ where it was hard to pick any difference.

My "solution" was to lighten a 7M to just under the 6M's weight while retaining the I-6's inherent balance.

Dr. Jeff Lange

ECU's changed at the same time as the crank, there was no weird crossover as far as I am aware.

Jeff

2011 Lexus IS350 Obsidian F-Sport 6MT with LSD
    1986 Corolla GT-S Supercharged with TRD
    1993 Previa GT-S RM Ice Racer

Toyota Love

Damn IJ that sounds like a much better idea than what I have done. I had the option to use either crank since i trashed my original one before the first rebuild but went for 6m due to my knowledge at the time telling me it was the better option. Since balancing, the engine is ultra smooth anyway so it would be a very anal decision for me to swap out cranks at this stage. My 6m crank was nitrided to so it would be a shame to waste that. Ive heard people say it a lot but dont know the exact meaning of the term "prepped" as in prepared. What does that involve?

Oh and my post above with the red lines was referring to the actual point at which the red line starts on the taco. I have no idea where the ecu cuts are at, haven't really attempted to hit mine yet

Grumpy Old Man

Prepped ie: identical Main, Rod Journals and Thrust dimensions, Balance, Heat treating, Niteriding so getting each crank 100% interchangable.
    (clerical error resulted in me having both cranks ready at the same time)

Toyota Love

Lol @ clerical error. But makes for excellent controlled experiment
    So now i'm wondering if both the 6m crank and 7m crank are balanced identically on a machine how come the 7m is still smoother in application? Does it have something to do with the combustion stroke vs counter weighted and non counter weighted throws. or just more even placement of counterweights

Grumpy Old Man

The 6M has a couple of longer counterweights to cover the MIA ones, while this "works" it's not ideal, look at a Jz crank and you will see it's 7M heritage.

Toyota Love

Yeah It looks the same except "chunkier" very cool. Now I want a 7m crank! Dammit IJ, teaching me through my own lack of experience

Supramania Regular

Im starting to think Late 88's came with the late blocks. My 88 (June 88) has the Late style block and the original head casting was a #12 ive got a #14 on it right now.
    1988 Toyota Supra Turbo Auto Two-Tone Blue (21C)/Blue Interior
    Running at 85%

1UZFE SWAP DUDE!!!

I've seen both blocks in 89's. but not in an 88 that was original.
    Weird thing is, I have a head off of a 92 cressida, and it's a 7.