Powered by Team Mondor
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VNT and VGT turbochargers

Metal Head

Default Re: VNT and VGT turbochargers

i think audi runs something like this on a few of their cars as well. good info by the way.

1987 Supra (bhg)- Traded 12-15-10 for Civic Si
    1996 Integra GSR- Stolen march 2009
    1994 Integra LS- SOld March 2010
    1989 Accord- Sold January 2010
    1990 Buick LeSabre- Thrown Rod, 2005, RIP
    1993 Acura integra GS B20B swap-DD

Originally Posted by Russ
    never to old to smash on a honda

Lurker

So...to throw a little more feedback into the subject. I started wondering a while back, if people have just become too biased against VGT/VNT turbos, and figured I'd make the leap to see for myself with a modern variant.

I'm centering my build (MKIV, 2JZ, fully built engine, titan auto) around a Garrett GT3788va, modified to take a 68mm compressor wheel.

The GT3788va is an upgrade for the GT3782va found as stock equipment in the ~2006 6L Ford Powerstroke.

This model uses your oil pressure and a solenoid to actuate the vanes, using a PWM signal. A company called Fleece Performance makes a standalone controller that gives full tuning control over it. It will position the vanes based on TPS, engine speed, and boost. Limequat is also using this turbo in his 4.2L vortec I6 swap, but is trying to set up megasquirt for control.

As a side note, Fleece also makes controllers for the Holset applications, IIRC.

I cannot remember what exactly the PWM frequency is, but it is outside the range rated for the AEM EMS2's control, so I have no idea if it would be successful.

The 3" vband turbine inlet will also pose a problem for some people, as you'd probably have to modify your manifold or have a custom one made up.

Talking with Fleece, they have had good reliability with this turbo up to EGT's of 1400f, which shouldn't be a problem with good water/meth injection. The weak point is that once you go much higher, the tips of the vanes and the turbine wheel become too soft and start to bend from the force. I'll be running EGT feedback for fuel and wastegate trim, just in case.

I'll post more info up when I get a chance, and again when I get the car running this summer.
    Last edited by mtriples; May 31st, 2012 at 04:08 PM. Reason: addition

Supramania Regular

Any update mtriples?

Lurker

Not yet. The build rolled out of control as they tend to do, and I've added a huge amount of work to the plate since I made the previous post. Should have the car finished this summer, and I'll post up what happens.

Something that I'll mention though, is that the Fleece controller has been scrapped, since they won't rescale the output map to go over 3800 rpm. Instead, I'm controlling it directly with my ProEFI standalone.

Joe Yantz

If you are using a version of the 6.0 PowerStroke turbo, try looking into getting a WickedWheel2, a lot of guys run them and love em. I own a 6.0 and the turbo does amazing on anything from gunning it at a stop light to cruising down the freeway at 90.
    "I got 99 problems but a 7M ain't one!"
    "MKIII Supras, turning men into mechanics since 86.5"

My '91 JZA70 Limited Suspiciously Slow Supra
    Instagram
    Facebook