Powered by Team Mondor
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VNT and VGT turbochargers

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers

Default VNT and VGT turbochargers

A few videos to start off with. I will go into detail later on why they are good and why they are bad.

"Performance is nothing without elegance and elegance is nothing without precision."

Im here, but the business is gone.

HOLSET Supra Mafia

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us

Default Re: VNT and VGT turbochargers

Pretty cool. It's doing exactly what my SP quick spool valve is doing, only in a much more complicated way.

Grumpy Old Man

Quote Originally Posted by tekdeus View Post
    Pretty cool. It's doing exactly what my SP quick spool valve is doing, only in a much more complicated way.
    Remember me saying that the QS valve was poor mans VNT and was brilliant in it's simplicity??

I think VNT is around 15 year old Tech that never cought on. To complex and the company that was making them folded. But I think it ended up in Porche 997s.....That were outperformed by conventional turbos in similar setups....GTR.

Supramania Regular

So what are the Cons to using one of these turbos?

Ported & Polished

Quote Originally Posted by FullNelson View Post
    So what are the Cons to using one of these turbos?
    I would say cost and reliability, and the added problem of how to control the vanes.

Since Porsche is doing it in their newest turbo 997's, I have to believe reliability is very good at least up to that power level. But it seems to me that when the Porsche's are built up to higher power levels, they swap out these turbos. I would like to get a couple of those to play with.

I know it could be controlled by Motec and probably also with AEM v2, some others too. When I looked into it before going with my two Garretts, the BV50 VTG turbo shown in the BW/Airwerks 2010 catalog went for over $3000 each and that doesn't include the controllers/actuators. Here's some comments I had, mainly from Geoff of FullRace:

Quote Originally Posted by Nick 95 6sp View Post
    Still researching twin turbos, I was looking through the new BW/AirWerks 2010 catalog now on Full-Race's website ...and I saw the BV50 VGT turbo is available...if you know of something available short of a Porsche ECU that can be used to control a couple of these on my twin manifold setup?
    Quote Originally Posted by Full Race Geoff View Post
    im sooo with you on that one... two of those on a 2jz would be omfg

AEM or Motec can control it... pwm output is all
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick 95 6sp View Post
    Geoff,
    I'm really sorry to hear you say that...
    ...its probably more than what youre looking to do, but im REALLY interested in knowing what the BV50 would do on a 2JZ, it seems to me that 600whp is certainly possible, with a gargantuan powerband...
    I have not heard of any failures, and my contacts at BW have not either (i asked them to send me some bad ones for mockup - they dont have any to send). It looks like the price may also be north of $3k/turbo as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Robards View Post
    Are the BW VNT turbos pneumatically controlled or electrically controlled?

If pneumatic, I am sure you can make a CO2 system with a boost control solenoid and AEMs boost control mapping work very nicely to properly control the turbo.
    Twin Garrett GT2860's with Tial exhaust housings on V-band moded HKS manifolds, etc.

JZwhore of JAPAN

now, how would these differ compaired to the holset HE351VGT turbos and how there vanes work and are controled?

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers

Quote Originally Posted by bloodasp90 View Post
    now, how would these differ compaired to the holset HE351VGT turbos and how there vanes work and are controled?
    The Holset turbos use a "gate" of sorts that resembles a cone. It rises and falls in height to control the turbine speed, rather controlling veins. I think Holset calls it a nozzle.
    "Performance is nothing without elegance and elegance is nothing without precision."

Im here, but the business is gone.

HOLSET Supra Mafia

JZwhore of JAPAN

so would this really be a worse system over the VGT and NGT systems?

Never-ending project

The holset he351ve can be controlled with an actuator (wastegate actuator) they take off the stock electronic box and Fab up a bracket to mount the actuator to the vanes collar. Run a vacuum line from the Turbo to the actuator and by trial and error set the spring pressure. As boost increases the collar will be pushed out. You can use a boost controller to fine tune as well