Powered by Team Mondor
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 1981 KP61 Starlet 2JZGTE build

OMFG Im a NOOB!!!

Default 1981 KP61 Starlet 2JZGTE build

I realize this car isnt Supra but some of the guys over in the 2j discussion forum said I should post up a build thread. If this is out of place...Sorry Mods.

Ok so here's the story, I used to see this car every day at Wendys around lunch time for about the last 5 years. It belonged to a little old lady who bought it new in 1981. I always begged for her to sell it to me as I thought it would be a great "OMFG mad tyte jdm old school yo". One day I realized I had not seen it for a while and later found out the woman had died.

About a year later I was at my machinist shop picking up a customers motor and I see this starlet chilling out in the weeds behind his shop. I immediately asked him what the deal was. He replied "some old woman left it in her will to the kid that cut her grass and he traded it to me for some machine work". Come to find out it was a 200.00 machine bill and he said he would take that for the car.

At first I couldnt believe I had a 1981 starlet with 81k miles and the owners manual and window sticker in the glove box. I was totally stoked....until I put it on a lift. Rust had taken its toll on this antique far beyond the point of a restoration.

I let it sit for a while and one day thought "what do I have to lose, Im putting a 2j in it".

It was been an ongoing project for about the last month and I hope to have it done this summer. I made a set of steel wide fenders out of the original fenders and still have to do the back. I will driving this car on the street so I need a wheel size that will not only hook to the road but also facilitate big brakes. These are not the wheels Im running but are just for visual reference.
    I have recessed the firewall 4 inches to keep a proper weight balance and radiator clearance. Here are a few pics to get started. I will update the thread as progress occurs. Thanks for looking.

Bumper has since been deleted for a custom steel valence to facilitate an FMIC

Last edited by suicide kp61; December 30th, 2009 at 09:45 PM.

Supramania Regular

Default Re: 1981 KP61 Starlet 2JZGTE build

Wicked Build Dude.

OMFG Im a NOOB!!!

Thanks man, Its going to be a nightmare in some aspects. I am going to run a narrowed ford 8.8 with rear discs and Im researching machining some new hubs and caliper brackets to run larger vented rotors int he front instead of these solid 8 inch turds on there now.

OMFG Im a NOOB!!!

As it stands now the wide fenders allow lock to lock turning on an 18x8 but I will be running 17x8/17x10 staggers. Cant make the rear quarters until the wheels and rear end are here.

Back in the game!

What, no rotary?
    I keed I keed.

Awesome project, enjoy the short wheelbase, its going to be a helluva ride.

There's something about cruising the streets in a highly modified 20+ year old Japanese car, and absolutely raping the newer domestics/imports that I just couldn't replace with a newer car... - shaeff

Build Thread > http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44235 < Updated:10/27/11

Man that brings me back to 8th grade that was my 1st car bought it. B4 i had my permit it was silver with the black stripe down the side had 2 8inch subs in the back that thing would beat like ike on tina can't wait to see the finished product

OMFG Im a NOOB!!!

Thanks for the support. I really dig the Japanese nostaglic forums but I dont have 15 inch 2 million dollar wheels that are the last remaining set in the world, so I dont fit in. I build Subaru engines and run an overall Subaru performance shop for a living and this is a fun distraction. Funny thing is I have my 06 STI torn apart and somehow I look more forward to getting this 200.00 car done than I do the STI LOL. I guess Im just a closet Toyota fan. One thing is true, In my opinion the best 4 and 6 cylinder engines EVER made were Toyota products. 4a's 3s's 1j's 2j's 22r's I mean you really cant beat em.

OMFG Im a NOOB!!!

Ok so I started on the rear quarters to widen them to fit the 10 inch wide wheels. I need some input. Should I carry the shape over the gas door and suicide it or just leave it recessed like other widebodies do? Anyway let me know what you think. Here are some pics of it all tacked together.

Last edited by suicide kp61; January 1st, 2010 at 05:01 PM.

Grumpy Old Man

Interesting build of an "Other Car"

I'd extend it to the gas door.

OMFG Im a NOOB!!!

Hey its still a Toyota lol. I found the window sticker and it was only $4800 new!!