Powered by Team Mondor
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Driveline Vibration

2 Supras, 1 Paycheck =[

Default Re: Driveline Vibration

what happened to the pics? I was about to show this to someone and the pics magically disappeared

SM Expert on White trash

Quote Originally Posted by gaboonviper85 View Post
    A trans won't cause ungodly vibrations no matter what's wrong...it's either broke without question or smooth as ever!

Did you have the ds balanced after you replaced the rear section?
    No I didn't and couldn't have if I wanted as the new carrier bearing is shot now and most likely was before putting that other rear shaft on.
    No worries though, I bought a one piece from Shaftmasters. The sent me one too long and as soon as I called David to tell him, they made me another and shipped it same day, so it should be here early this week.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkplug619 View Post
    what happened to the pics? I was about to show this to someone and the pics magically disappeared
    Which pics? I'm at work and picture hosting websites are blocked so can't tell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Supracentral View Post
    The MKIII Supra was never intended to be a pure sports car, nor was it intended to have slam you in the seat performance. Please remember that this was Toyota's top of the line showcase for high tech luxury performance. This car was built as a personal luxury car with a performance trend. It's a GT car, not a detuned version of a WRC rally car.
    My 1991 Jay Blue Supra

What in the hell have I gotten myself into?

Cool Ford Pinto

2 Supras, 1 Paycheck =[

nvmd, the pics are back, maybe from the server move? or maybe they were reuploaded or something

Supramania Regular

I am curious..

A. is there an aftermarket place that sells these specifically for the Supra (the single shaft)

B. is there any caveats to having one constructed? (weight and balance really shouldnt factor in as long as the length and strength are sufficient is my guess)

C. Why is it constructed this way in the first place? Seems to me to be flawed engineering unless there was a specific reason to it.

D. Can you repair this yourself (with a vice and a busterbar)

I have a vibration when I drive that has been driving me buggy the last 2 weeks but the car is being parked for some body work and winter, so I will check this.

Many thanks for this post. It is a good eye-opener!

2 Supras, 1 Paycheck =[

Quote Originally Posted by Grandavi View Post
    I am curious..

A. is there an aftermarket place that sells these specifically for the Supra (the single shaft)

B. is there any caveats to having one constructed? (weight and balance really shouldnt factor in as long as the length and strength are sufficient is my guess)

C. Why is it constructed this way in the first place? Seems to me to be flawed engineering unless there was a specific reason to it.

D. Can you repair this yourself (with a vice and a busterbar)

I have a vibration when I drive that has been driving me buggy the last 2 weeks but the car is being parked for some body work and winter, so I will check this.

Many thanks for this post. It is a good eye-opener!

http://www.driveshaftshop.com/

SM Expert on White trash

Well I ordered a steel single piece driveshaft from Shaftmasters. The first one they sent was too long. I called David and they made a new one and shipped it the same day. I got it today, and it bolted up with no issues. I then take it for a drive and the initial response was awesome. However, when I reach 50-55 mph, I begin to get a constant vibration that feels like a constant deep bass hum and when I let off the gas to coast the vibration is ten times more harsh than what it was before. I put it in neutral and still had the vibration. After 55 mph it is constant, unlike before.

Now, first off, I am NOT bashing Shaftmasters. David has offered exceptional service. I've got an email into him with the same above information. My question to yall is...Is there anything else that could be causing this or do I just have an out of balance shaft? If it is out of balance, I have no doubt that David will do right by me. I really wished there was someone local who could drive my car and tell me what the fuck is wrong. I'm seriously becoming "disenfranchised" with this car and am about ready to throw a For Sale sign on it. The process of elimination that I'm going through is becoming very expensive.

So any insight would be helpful and much appreciated.

Kenneth
    The MKIII Supra was never intended to be a pure sports car, nor was it intended to have slam you in the seat performance. Please remember that this was Toyota's top of the line showcase for high tech luxury performance. This car was built as a personal luxury car with a performance trend. It's a GT car, not a detuned version of a WRC rally car.
    My 1991 Jay Blue Supra

Cool Ford Pinto

Grumpy Old Man

Checked the backlash in the Diff yet?

SM Expert on White trash

Quote Originally Posted by IJ. View Post
    Checked the backlash in the Diff yet?

While the car was up on jack stands and the new shaft attached, I put the car in park and tried moving the wheels back and forth. There was virtually no slack to be felt and if there was it was less than 1/4 inch. My car has 145k miles on it. So it felt pretty tight. I do still get that grinding feel somewhat when taking off in a turn, never when taking off straight forward. It is much less with the new shaft, but I do still feel it a little.
    My 1991 Jay Blue Supra

Cool Ford Pinto

Grumpy Old Man

Jack it up in neutral park brake on firm and see if you can move the driveshaft, then park brake off and turn the shaft and see if you can feel any harshness in the front diff bearings.

Supramania Regular

balance those wheels? half shafts? diff? im betting it might be a bearing. my uncles maxima has sealed for life bearings but the races or something is jacked up. gets a hum like you describe after 65.