Powered by Team Mondor
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Driveline Vibration

SM Expert on White trash

Default Re: Driveline Vibration

Quote Originally Posted by IJ. View Post
    If it's out of phase Yes and Yes, it will be more noticable either on power ore backoff, most times it's harsh on overrun when you lift off the throttle and let it engine brake.
    So would you say from looking at those pics, it's out of phase?

My acceleration feels very "course" and when decelerating like on the freeway it feels like I'm driving over very fine bumps, more of a loud buzzing feel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Supracentral View Post
    The MKIII Supra was never intended to be a pure sports car, nor was it intended to have slam you in the seat performance. Please remember that this was Toyota's top of the line showcase for high tech luxury performance. This car was built as a personal luxury car with a performance trend. It's a GT car, not a detuned version of a WRC rally car.
    My 1991 Jay Blue Supra

What in the hell have I gotten myself into?

Cool Ford Pinto

Grumpy Old Man

Quote Originally Posted by gtsfirefighter View Post
    So would you say from looking at those pics, it's out of phase?

My acceleration feels very "course" and when decelerating like on the freeway it feels like I'm driving over very fine bumps, more of a loud buzzing feel.
    ie: "Harsh"

Need a pic along the shaft to be 100% sure but it's easily visible to the eye when they're out of phase so you tell us

The Uni's should be perfectly in line!

o---------------o

SM Expert on White trash

Quote Originally Posted by IJ. View Post
    ie: "Harsh"

Need a pic along the shaft to be 100% sure but it's easily visible to the eye when they're out of phase so you tell us

The Uni's should be perfectly in line!

o---------------o
    Well I couldn't get a pic of the whole back half of the shaft from under the car, but I'm going to assume that it is because with the front straight up and down, the back is cocked off to one side. So the search for a remedy begins before I destroy this newer bearing. Money will be the issue, especially while going through a divorce.
    The MKIII Supra was never intended to be a pure sports car, nor was it intended to have slam you in the seat performance. Please remember that this was Toyota's top of the line showcase for high tech luxury performance. This car was built as a personal luxury car with a performance trend. It's a GT car, not a detuned version of a WRC rally car.
    My 1991 Jay Blue Supra

Cool Ford Pinto

Grumpy Old Man

You have a couple of options, find a straight shaft and install it along with a balance or have the bonded section replaced with a straight tube making it a true 2 piece (this is what I've done in the past)

SM Expert on White trash

So one more question. If I take a good stock rear section and just bolt it up without taking the whole shaft in for a balance will it for sure vibrate or will it just be a crapshoot and I could get lucky and it won't?
    My 1991 Jay Blue Supra

Cool Ford Pinto

Supramania Regular

It's a crap shoot....bad news bears!

Our shafts spin pretty damn fast...I wouldn't fuck around with a balance!

Supramania Regular

i usually have a ton of vibration anything over 25mph. its really fucking annoying. today i was backing out of a lot and i gunned it in reverse to get on the other side of the road. i now have NO vibration!kind of a ghetto fix but i been driving it all day and its smooooth!
    | 7MGE-T | Rebuilt Steel Center W58 | ACT HD 6-Puck | Ford Carrier Bearing | 3.73 LSD | DM DP | MBC @ 12PSI | Cone Filter | HKS D2 Sport Exhaust | Tien SS Coilovers | Energy Bushings | Brembo Rotors | EBC Redstuff | Goodridge Lines | ATE Super Blue |
    [NA-T 7M][CenCalSupras]

WANTED:
    -Aftermarket radiator
    -3in Metallic Cat
    -Better MBC

SM Expert on White trash

Well I replaced the rear section with a used piece and had success...for a little while then it all started again and got worse! I ordered a transmission mount and replaced my old oil soaked one and that in itself made a huge difference in the way the car felt cruising down the highway. It raised the rear of the tranny up over an inch but I still have the harshness on decel and accel. So...An entire new DS is on it's way from Shaftmasters. If that don't fix the issues then I don't know what I'm going to do 'cause I fear it may be diff or tranny related. But everytime I've replaced something driveshaft related, it made a difference, so who knows. Taking off from a stop I still have the grinding feel every now and then that feels like it's coming from the rear of the vehicle. The supra is my daily now but sometimes I think an SC 400 would look good in my driveway.
    My 1991 Jay Blue Supra

Cool Ford Pinto

Supramania Regular

A trans won't cause ungodly vibrations no matter what's wrong...it's either broke without question or smooth as ever!

Did you have the ds balanced after you replaced the rear section?

Supramania Regular

I get a vibration from the rear of my car, but only in 1st gear between 2000-3000rpms. And it squeaks when I slow down, Idk what it is. Could it be the driveshaft or is it the diff???